or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 2251

post #33751 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

 

For $1,900 that is a great watch.  The small seconds crept up into no mans land but a little lower...even like 1mm or 2 and they would have had me.  


That's the reason I prefer the 35mm in the Orion. That movement is designed for a 33mm case IMO, looks good in a 35mm, and begins to make me pick nits at 38mm because of the reason you stated. Putting the date underneath it helps me forget about it a bit though, or at least it's less distracting to my eye.

post #33752 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 

I have been the buyer, I went with the original (3570). I like the domed hesalite more. I also like that I can easily get rid of the scratches on the hesalite. It definitely scratches much easier than sapphire, but it's a simple at home fix. The inscription on the 3573 also bugged me because it's wrong. All that said, there are plenty of people who have chosen the 3573 and loved it. I'm not sure there is a wrong choice, in fact both isn't even a bad choice. In the end, I didn't consider the price tag, I just went with what I preferred and that would be my recommendation after trying both side by side if possible.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

I couldn't resist the ability of being able to look at the movement.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post



@Betelgeuse you really need to look at both (maybe you have already and i missed it). The Hesalite (3570) vs. sapphire (3573) has been and will forever be debated on. If this were me and it was going to be something I wore daily, I would probably opt for the sapphire due to its increased ruggedness. However, if this was going to be a part of a nice collection you want to build, Hesalite all the way. in fact, it's on my short list of "Next Watch"

 

Now I can see that. The one I saw was the Hesalite and what seriously caught my attention has the domed crystal (don't know if that's the propper term) it looks insane! In the other hand, I mean, no one watches the back part but even with my Hamilton's and Tissot I spend a few minutes watching it work. 

 

Will need to do what you say, bdeuce! 

post #33753 of 39315
all this talk of dial font made me have a look at my T-o-G dial, and then i went and took close ups of the font, and then i just kept snapping.

excuse my indulgence....

















post #33754 of 39315

One big issue here is that marketers associate different typefaces with different brand features or product lines. So as irritating as it is for many there will end up being multiple fonts on a watch dial.

post #33755 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

all this talk of dial font made me have a look at my T-o-G dial, and then i went and took close ups of the font, and then i just kept snapping.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
excuse my indulgence....













Very nice.

Offhand, I'd say that Rolex, Nomos and A. Lange und Söhne are currently doing the best job among the more well-known manufacturers with the use of type and lettering on their dial work, and each house has its own distinctive style. There are some smaller-production independents such as F. P. Journe and Greubel Forsey that have shown a great degree of skill and attention to detail in the field as well, but I'm sure I'm omitting a few.

On the other side, it's not just Patek that's slipping; most of the big players are surprisingly weak when it comes to this stuff. I've heard that work from watch manufacturers is drying up for certain Swiss design firms as the houses attempt to do it themselves — "pfft, I know how to use a computer" — and the results of this trend are not encouraging.
post #33756 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

@billsmith: this could actually get me killed here, but I'm going to suggest....a Tag.

peepwall[1].gif

Specifically given your parameters... on strap, <40mm, business casual, less than $2500 new (from a gray dealer such as Authentic Watches) ....how's about this Carrera? I would think it a decent "starter" watch for a college grad, class of '14.

Certainly the recipient would recognize the brand (how can you miss all the billboards and magazine ads?) And it's your basic all-rounder type of piece, but cheaper than say, an Aqua Terra.

That does rather look like a watch---
post #33757 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

 

For $1,900 that is a great watch.  The small seconds crept up into no mans land but a little lower...even like 1mm or 2 and they would have had me.  

 

This is one reason I mention the Tetra. It's the only Nomos with a balanced subdial in my opinion. If you want the round Nomos' I would go either for the 35mm versions or the date models. They way they add the date function to the movement is interesting in any case - it's a ring that goes around the outer edge of the movement, so as to not add thickness. 

post #33758 of 39315
stichy: great pix, especially the macro-looking ones.

I know how much you like that T-o-G.

You are excused.
post #33759 of 39315
chose this today


post #33760 of 39315
Note to self: need a brown grenadine smile.gif
post #33761 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

stichy: great pix, especially the macro-looking ones.
I know how much you like that T-o-G.
You are excused.

thanks, keith. they are all taken with the macro, i just paned out for the non uber close ups.

i do love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Note to self: need a brown grenadine smile.gif

actually id say you need two. chocolate brown and a lighter brighter shade. smile.gif
post #33762 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

all this talk of dial font made me have a look at my T-o-G dial, and then i went and took close ups of the font, and then i just kept snapping.

excuse my indulgence....

















I've always liked the blue and red mix, great looking watch.

post #33763 of 39315
For the uninitiated please, what feature makes this a 'Turn-o-Graph' rather than just a regular datejust?
post #33764 of 39315
^^ The numbers on the bezel... Not sure if it rotates or not, though.
post #33765 of 39315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

For the uninitiated please, what feature makes this a 'Turn-o-Graph' rather than just a regular datejust?

 

The bezel with numbers rotates.  Years ago the Turn-O-Graph was also known as the Thunderbird, and was affiliated with the US Air Force. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

^^ The numbers on the bezel... Not sure if it rotates or not, though.

Yes, the bezel rotates.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread