or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 2014

post #30196 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpotter View Post

Nice. Yeah, I was just curious. If I'm going to spend that much on a watch, I want it to be versatile. And to your point about the current retail price, once I pull the trigger, I'm definitely going the pre-owned route. If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy it?

I wear it in just about any situation except with a suit, as it is fairly tall on the wrist and doesn't fit under my shirt cuff (and I do have my left cuff made larger to accommodate a larger watch).
post #30197 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

frown.gif


yeah, screw yooo guize!!!!

I do think that Panerai have a very distinct design language and identity, which is more than can be said for many mid-tier watch houses, many of whom (especially in the sports chrono and dive watch segments) converge on the generic. Sadly because of my small wrists I don't think I could pull off anything more than 40-42mm. The slimmer manually-wound Radiomirs also I find a bit more flexible, in terms of dressing up or down.
post #30198 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

Did some tire kicking today. Tried the hesalite speedy on next to my sapphire sandwich. It was nice, but I think I made the right choice. Not sure it really felt all that much "warmer" as so many report, though that could have been due to lack of sunlight.

Then I tried this out, on a whim:


I quite like the Montblanc. Reminds me of JLC Master Calendar, though I suppose this dial/date lay out is fairly canonical for a full calendar.
post #30199 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


I quite like the Montblanc. Reminds me of JLC Master Calendar, though I suppose this dial/date lay out is fairly canonical for a full calendar.

 

I tried on some, Zenith, Longines a few (utterly forgettable) Frederique Constants and that Montblanc. I must say, the Montblanc was the only one that made an impression. I wouldn't call it love at first sight, but it seemed like a lot of watch for $5k and a relatively clean dial for all the complications. The way the blued hands caught the light in person was quite delightful. 

post #30200 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Optical illusion? I don't have very big wrists (6.75") and the ROs wear large. I think 39-40mm is near the upper limit of what I can wear. The only watch I have which is larger is a Omega Planet Ocean (42mm) which sits okay on my wrist...I'm considering replacing it with a slightly smaller diameter diver in the future.
Have you tried the liquid metal PO in titanium? I find the steel PO's awkwardly balanced (extremely top heavy), but the LM PO was quite nice and sat quite well. Plus I was a fan of the blue. I've started to look outside Rolex since they changed their case/lugs, and that has been my favorite thus far. Though I may do something different and go for a new to me Overseas 2 instead.
post #30201 of 34174
Nice idea. I do like my PO and it would be a shame to part with it. I have looked at the Tudor Pelagos. If I was willing to spend a bit more I might go for a JLC Deep Sea. I just have a hard time psychologically with the notion of spending lots on dive/tool watches. The classics (i.e. Rolex Submariners, Omega Seamaster/POs, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms) are so ubiquitous and imitated that they've become...common. I know I may be sounding like a snob, but I have a hard time paying lots for a product where the average consumer couldn't tell the difference between a £500 diver from a £5K or £10K diver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

Have you tried the liquid metal PO in titanium? I find the steel PO's awkwardly balanced (extremely top heavy), but the LM PO was quite nice and sat quite well. Plus I was a fan of the blue. I've started to look outside Rolex since they changed their case/lugs, and that has been my favorite thus far. Though I may do something different and go for a new to me Overseas 2 instead.
post #30202 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

I tried on some, Zenith, Longines a few (utterly forgettable) Frederique Constants and that Montblanc. I must say, the Montblanc was the only one that made an impression. I wouldn't call it love at first sight, but it seemed like a lot of watch for $5k and a relatively clean dial for all the complications. The way the blued hands caught the light in person was quite delightful. 

They are one of the new kids on the block, and have been trying hard to make a name for themselves. They do make compelling products; the WIS here may turn their noses up, but if it's within your price range and you love it, don't let the opinions of a bunch of guys on the interwebz stop you.
post #30203 of 34174
Alternatively, look how close the date windows and moonphase are to the centre, and conversely, how massively long the minute and date hands are.

The proportions are all to cock because it's a tiny old school movement in a massive "modern" case. It's like a girl with a striking hairdo whose eyes you suddenly notice are too close together.

Don't buy it, because after a while you will realise that it is rather silly, and that five grand is actually a world of possibilities.
post #30204 of 34174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Alternatively, look how close the date windows and moonphase are to the centre, and conversely, how massively long the minute and date hands are.

The proportions are all to cock because it's a tiny old school movement in a massive "modern" case. It's like a girl with a striking hairdo whose eyes you suddenly notice are too close together.

Don't buy it, because after a while you will realise that it is rather silly, and that five grand is actually a world of possibilities.

Good observations re: movement size and dial layout; I've read similar remarks from one of the watch review sites (was it Monochrome?). I think they have another new product that has similar layout issues, because they chose to use an older, smaller movement rather than developing a new one. I suspect this is reflected in the lower price for this item, rather than say the £7K you would pay for a JLC Master Calendar (which has a similar dial lay out, but with better proportions because they designed a movement for the watch).

Speaking of discrepancies between case sizes and movements, I generally don't have a problem with using a smaller movement in a larger case so long as it doesn't unbalance the dial (like the Montblanc shown here), or so long as a solid case back is used (eg some VCs, like the Contemporaine hand-wound). I was a bit more perturbed to learn that Patek does this, but rather than using a solid case back, will put the movement on display; see for example the 5123 discussed here. Dont get me wrong; I think the dial is lovely and I'm sure the finishing is superlative. Also the design solution they found for the case back and lugs is creative, but - for the price - why not develop a larger movement? Seems a bit sloppy to me, given that their competitors (eg AP, VC, AL&S) would have done otherwise. Thoughts?
Edited by academe - 3/23/14 at 10:34am
post #30205 of 34174
Oh it's a bit too far off my dress watch chriteria to buy it. Just thought it was rather fun and wondered what TWAT folks thought of the make/model. It'll be a few years before I move on a new watch and so far JLC Master series seems to be where I'm setting my sights.

But I wonder, has anyone owned a JLC Memovox? I'd be curious to know about the experience of owning the "cricket."
post #30206 of 34174
One AD confirmed the existence of an upcoming Basel release from Patek - an all steel sporty watch that isn't from the Nautilus or Aquanaut families. It looks like this:

mu5ubatu.jpg

Yes, this is the 5960 annual calendar chronograph - self-winding, all steel, on a bracelet. The previous 5960s have been discontinued.

Comments, TWAT brethren? Go.

Personally, for the look and purpose of an all steel sporty watch I prefer the one I have:

7u8yda2u.jpg
post #30207 of 34174

Academe, I agree on all counts.

 

BH: Glashuette Original Senator Automatic, as shown a few pages back, is available from about $5k grey market or mint used.  Just a thought, as it also has the roman numerals and blued hands and a modern case size.  I like it.

 

Frilly: I find this quite exciting - a serious complication in steel, and a Patek to boot.  The downside is I've never liked any of the watches with that triumvirate of windows across the top, as classic is it is to the maker, although I like the crisp white dial and black and steel contrasts. I do think there's maybe one blob of colour too many.  So in summary, I'm not sure I like it, but I like the idea of it!

post #30208 of 34174
I know I'm being very nit-picky, but the one thing I've always disliked about the Glashutte Original autos is the design of the rotors. For some reason, I find the back-to-back "G" ugly and would not buy a GO auto simply for that reason. The hand-wound models don't share this issue IMHO. Then again, I think very few makers do rotor design/decoration well; I think AP and VC rotors are lovely, the Parmigiani and AL&S rotors are also very well finished. JLC rotors look utilitarian...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Academe, I agree on all counts.

BH: Glashuette Original Senator Automatic, as shown a few pages back, is available from about $5k grey market or mint used.  Just a thought, as it also has the roman numerals and blued hands and a modern case size.  I like it.

Frilly: I find this quite exciting - a serious complication in steel, and a Patek to boot.  The downside is I've never liked any of the watches with that triumvirate of windows across the top, as classic is it is to the maker, although I like the crisp white dial and black and steel contrasts. I do think there's maybe one blob of colour too many.  So in summary, I'm not sure I like it, but I like the idea of it!
post #30209 of 34174

Oh dear, yes, I hadn't noticed the rotor design on the Glashuette. That's quite loud, isn't it? I've got a rule against unnecessary words and lettering on my affects. Nevertheless, I'm happy to wait a while to get what I want rather than compromise.

 

But thanks for the suggestion @mimo. All things considered, it is quite a handsome watch.

post #30210 of 34174


modest contribution
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread