or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1839

post #27571 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rolex GMT Black and Blue? Been thinking about a beefier watch than my Nautilus and miss my Rolex...



I can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

It's been a long time since I've visited the thread, but I just wanted to say that I do like that watch. When did Rolex start selling this version?

-LR
post #27572 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

@TC (Houston)

Tc sorry if i missed the news. Did the stagecoach get through?

FedEx tracking is telling me that is still scheduled to be delivered today by 3 pm, but since it just left Newark at 1:56 and will make a stop in Memphis, I'm not holding my breath. frown.gif Looks like tomorrow.
post #27573 of 35507
thanks again for your well thought out reply, dino.

i am a long ways from a RO, and i find torture unnecessary, so i wont be trying on any in person at this time. just gathering all the intel i can for now. hopefully someday soon kopping time will arrive.
post #27574 of 35507

Queston: Is this thread only for luxurious watches? 

post #27575 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post

It's been a long time since I've visited the thread, but I just wanted to say that I do like that watch. When did Rolex start selling this version?
-LR

its less than a year that it has been available for sale i believe.
post #27576 of 35507
I think we will have to agree to disagree. I do think the gold Daytona is a better choice when you weigh all the factors including cost. The better and more important movement (IMO) on the Daytona versus the better design and finish on the RO . If they were close in in price, I think it would be a more interesting question. I totally get the appeal of the AP ( (I am wearing my RO as I type this). However, at 54k v 37k, I find it very hard to justify that kind of difference. If you want to compare them in steel, its 24 v 12k. Again, hard in my view to justify that kind of premium.

Having said all that, if someone is willing to pay that big premium for what the AP offers that the Rolex does not, more power to them. Each to his own..

Enjoyed the discussion.

Respect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree.  Your initial point seemed to be that the gold Daytona was a better choice than the AP RO Chrono in gold.  You are saying that the AP wins as a piece of jewelry, however if we still with your original premise...both are pieces of jewelry once you go from all steel to all gold.  There is no horologic value in going from a steel Daytona or steel AP to all gold...its jewelry and its priced that way.  However, before you discount what the AP offers as merely jewlery vs. horology, I think one has to consider the entire watch...not merely the movement.  Afterall, the Daytona's case is pretty straight forward.  There are no real innovations, and nothing unusually difficult about making that case (its a basic round shaped case).  However, there is a lot more engineering into making the case of the Royal Oak.  Its shape is more intricate, but beyond that the rubber gaskets used and sandwiched in its case and bezel using its hexagonal bolts to make a secure closure...well I think that is horology, engineering, and art.  As for the movement, that fact that something isn't in house doesn't make or break something IMHO, provided its a high quality movement.  I don't think anyone would say, well Patek's 5070 isn't as good as a 5980, because the 5070 used a Lemania based movement, which one can also find in a VC Historiques Chronograph.  Again I think we will just have to agree to disagree. 
post #27577 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Guys,

I realized I've never shared photos of this piece so I figured I'd post a few here.  This was my grail watch in the 1990s.  Its a stainless steel ref 16520 Rolex Daytona with the Zenith El Primero based movement, which after numerous modifications became cal 4030.  It took me 2 years to track one down from a dealer willing to sell a new one at list price.  Back then demand was much higher than supply so waiting lists were many years long and many dealers were asking anywhere from a 50% premium to double the MSRP for one of these.  I was in law school at the time and sold a steel Submariner to pay for part of it.  Lets just say I ate a lot of ramen noodles after that purchase, but it was well worth it!  I have a modern 116250 with Rolex movement, which is a great watch, but this one is still my favorite.





Now, In my eyes that's an amazing watch. I have wanted this watch for years, just haven't found the right one yet.
post #27578 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

its less than a year that it has been available for sale i believe.

correct.........debuted at Basel 2013.

Although it's gorgeous, my problem with this watch (and the ceramic submariner) is that Rolex will soon price themselves into a tough spot. Almost $10K for a stainless steel watch? If i'm spending that much it'd better have some sort of precious metals or diamond markers.
post #27579 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

its less than a year that it has been available for sale i believe.

thanks stitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

correct.........debuted at Basel 2013.

Although it's gorgeous, my problem with this watch (and the ceramic submariner) is that Rolex will soon price themselves into a tough spot. Almost $10K for a stainless steel watch? If i'm spending that much it'd better have some sort of precious metals or diamond markers.

yeah that price seems pretty ridiculous to me. Although, I want to purchase a dayona zenith movement pratrizzi dial and that's even more. So who am I to make price judgments.
post #27580 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

FedEx tracking is telling me that is still scheduled to be delivered today by 3 pm, but since it just left Newark at 1:56 and will make a stop in Memphis, I'm not holding my breath. frown.gif Looks like tomorrow.

Bad show dear boy. Felling that here. Bare/bear with sore head tomorrow?
post #27581 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
 

Queston: Is this thread only for luxurious watches? 

 

Nope!  We love all sorts of watches it's just that this week we happen to be on a roll with watches people are buying/receiving and they seem to be on the more expensive side of things.

post #27582 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I do think the gold Daytona is a better choice when you weigh all the factors including cost. The better and more important movement (IMO) on the Daytona versus the better design and finish on the RO . If they were close in in price, I think it would be a more interesting question. I totally get the appeal of the AP ( (I am wearing my RO as I type this). However, at 54k v 37k, I find it very hard to justify that kind of difference. If you want to compare them in steel, its 24 v 12k. Again, hard in my view to justify that kind of premium.

Having said all that, if someone is willing to pay that big premium for what the AP offers that the Rolex does not, more power to them. Each to his own..

Enjoyed the discussion.

Respect

Hi Rob,

 

I too have enjoyed the discussion.  I would however add that with respect to pricing, your measure of value is a bit off.  First, last I checked the MSRP on all gold Daytona was $40K.  Beyond that, with all gold one, I can get a much a larger discount on an all gold AP than on an all gold Rolex.  So the price difference is not going to be as great as you suggest...although there will still be a difference.  On the steel models, there is no discount on the all steel Daytona from an AD, while I can get a rather substantial discount on a steel AP RO...so the price difference on the steel ones could be more like $5K.    

 

So I don't think the premium is as great as you may think it is.  Again enjoyed the discussion.

Dino

post #27583 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Bad show dear boy. Felling that here. Bare/bear with sore head tomorrow?

Thanks my friend. Yes, I'm going to keep this bare-wristed vigil going until the watch arrives!
post #27584 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post


correct.........debuted at Basel 2013.

Although it's gorgeous, my problem with this watch (and the ceramic submariner) is that Rolex will soon price themselves into a tough spot. Almost $10K for a stainless steel watch? If i'm spending that much it'd better have some sort of precious metals or diamond markers.

 

If you want to get technical on the BLNR and speak of precious metals, the BLNR has that.  The numbers in the bezel are actually thin layers of platinum and the hands are white gold.  But I understand what your point :)

post #27585 of 35507
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

thanks again for your well thought out reply, dino.

i am a long ways from a RO, and i find torture unnecessary, so i wont be trying on any in person at this time. just gathering all the intel i can for now. hopefully someday soon kopping time will arrive.

Stitchy, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we will be seeing pix of a RO that you kopped soon.  But the researching and trying on is a lot of fun.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post


Now, In my eyes that's an amazing watch. I have wanted this watch for years, just haven't found the right one yet.

Thanks.  It was my grail watch years ago.  It took me 2 years to track down a new from an AD at list price, and that was back in the days when MSRP was less than half of what the MSRP is on a current model.  Thanks again and glad you liked my photo of it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread