or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1751

post #26251 of 39278
Excellent post above, thanks for sharing with us, Nonserviam.
post #26252 of 39278

Love the 16758! With the distinct gold, bronze and brown shades, I think it is the most Autumnal watch ever made.

post #26253 of 39278

MG85 - Tough decision on your hands.  I admire both watches and have only ever tried on a Daytona.  

post #26254 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post


Thank you. She's wanted one for quite awhile, so I thought I'd surprise her with it.

 

Congratulations in advance to your wife - I'm sure she'll love it!  Share pics if you can/want!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

MG85, the Daytona is a fantastic watch. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

It was my grail for many years, probably fueled by the hype surrounding the watch some years ago. I worked for a (not Rolex) AD when I attended unversity, and spent a lot of time around watches. Like you I wore a TAG at the time, even that expensive for a student I thought. All the time the Daytona was on my mind. After graduating, working for a couple of years, I bought my first Rolex. Not the Daytona, but the Submariner. Still the watch that spends the most time on my wrist. But crack watches are stongly addictive, and I soon added other watches. Seamaster, GMT-Master etc. But forever the Daytona held it's appeal.

So one day I just caved in, and called round to different ADs. Most wouldn't give me the time of day. When I asked about the price, some even had the nerve to ask "Well, how much would you be willing to pay?" Bastards smile.gif Until I happened upon the dealer who simply asked "Black or white?" Hm. White, please? "Ok, I'll put you on the list, and let you know when it arrives." One year later it did satisfied.gif

Now the days of the hard-to-get-Daytona is over, but the watch is ever on the list of keepers. Hype or no hype, the Daytona has not lost an inch of its appeal to me. It's the pefect size for my (not too large) wrists, is both sporty and dressy, and it's hella-precise. Whatever my feelings for it, the watch is forever linked to our familiy, as I timed my daughter's birth with it and wore it on every picture from our first days together. I am grateful for the unisex vibes of the Daytona, as it is hers when I leave this mortal coil. Not a day before that mind you lol8[1].gif

Anyway, not the Daytona on my wrist today, but the 16758 18k GMT-Master. This is a picture from yesterday. Felt winter's first bite, -4 C. I'm always such a pussy when winter sets in, my body has forgotten the winters past. Had a blast riding snowscooters in effective -50 C at 78 degrees north in March, but come November, I whimper at anything under 0 shog[1].gif

So, layers of wool to warm my body, and gold to warm my soul.

20131111_092919_zps6e79e124.jpg

 

Love this story, thanks so much for sharing.  As a father of two girls, the lines I put in bold especially resonates.  Good stuff my man!


And yes, it's cold today.

post #26255 of 39278
Yes, I like side tabs on fitted suit pants. Sue me.

y8e3e3yv.jpg



/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/
post #26256 of 39278

Nothing wrong with side tabs, Filly.

post #26257 of 39278
side tabs work for one type of person imo. people who are in good shape and have no gut.
post #26258 of 39278
Obviously, buying a watch like this is an emotional decision, so you should get what you like.

Having said that, my own opinion is between those two watches I would get the Daytona, no question. I own a Royal Oak (chrono not jumbo) and I love it but my Daytona is truly one of my favorite watches. I waited a long time before I could get my Daytona and it was always a grail type watch for me. I wear it with a suit all the time without any Issue. Unless you are in a very stuffy conservative business environment, and few businesses are these days, I wouldn't worry about that.

In addition, between those two watches you're basically looking at paying a lot more for a watch with no complication. The Daytona is the better value. It offers an exclusive in-house movement with a chronograph functions. Let's not even going to get into the issue of resale value. APs are way overpriced (i say this as an AP owner and fan) and the resale market very often reflects this.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Get what you like and don't look back.

Enjoy and good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

MG85, the Daytona is a fantastic watch. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

It was my grail for many years, probably fueled by the hype surrounding the watch some years ago. I worked for a (not Rolex) AD when I attended unversity, and spent a lot of time around watches. Like you I wore a TAG at the time, even that expensive for a student I thought. All the time the Daytona was on my mind. After graduating, working for a couple of years, I bought my first Rolex. Not the Daytona, but the Submariner. Still the watch that spends the most time on my wrist. But crack watches are stongly addictive, and I soon added other watches. Seamaster, GMT-Master etc. But forever the Daytona held it's appeal.

So one day I just caved in, and called round to different ADs. Most wouldn't give me the time of day. When I asked about the price, some even had the nerve to ask "Well, how much would you be willing to pay?" Bastards smile.gif Until I happened upon the dealer who simply asked "Black or white?" Hm. White, please? "Ok, I'll put you on the list, and let you know when it arrives." One year later it did satisfied.gif

Now the days of the hard-to-get-Daytona is over, but the watch is ever on the list of keepers. Hype or no hype, the Daytona has not lost an inch of its appeal to me. It's the pefect size for my (not too large) wrists, is both sporty and dressy, and it's hella-precise. Whatever my feelings for it, the watch is forever linked to our familiy, as I timed my daughter's birth with it and wore it on every picture from our first days together. I am grateful for the unisex vibes of the Daytona, as it is hers when I leave this mortal coil. Not a day before that mind you lol8[1].gif

Anyway, not the Daytona on my wrist today, but the 16758 18k GMT-Master. This is a picture from yesterday. Felt winter's first bite, -4 C. I'm always such a pussy when winter sets in, my body has forgotten the winters past. Had a blast riding snowscooters in effective -50 C at 78 degrees north in March, but come November, I whimper at anything under 0 shog[1].gif

So, layers of wool to warm my body, and gold to warm my soul.
post #26259 of 39278
One more thing. Some friendly advice, having been through this a lot, I can tell you it is not a good idea to want one watch and buy another one instead as a substitute because you just couldn't buy the other one. You will still lust after the first watch and you will be out the money for the other. So buy the one you like or don't buy anything until you can. Unless you have enough money to throw around, or you enjoy buying and selling your watches (usually taking a loss when you do) just not a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post

Obviously, buying a watch like this is an emotional decision, so you should get what you like.

Having said that, my own opinion is between those two watches I would get the Daytona, no question. I own a Royal Oak (chrono not jumbo) and I love it but my Daytona is truly one of my favorite watches. I waited a long time before I could get my Daytona and it was always a grail type watch for me. I wear it with a suit all the time without any Issue. Unless you are in a very stuffy conservative business environment, and few businesses are these days, I wouldn't worry about that.

In addition, between those two watches you're basically looking at paying a lot more for a watch with no complication. The Daytona is the better value. It offers an exclusive in-house movement with a chronograph functions. Let's not even going to get into the issue of resale value. APs are way overpriced (i say this as an AP owner and fan) and the resale market very often reflects this.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Get what you like and don't look back.

Enjoy and good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

MG85, the Daytona is a fantastic watch. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

It was my grail for many years, probably fueled by the hype surrounding the watch some years ago. I worked for a (not Rolex) AD when I attended unversity, and spent a lot of time around watches. Like you I wore a TAG at the time, even that expensive for a student I thought. All the time the Daytona was on my mind. After graduating, working for a couple of years, I bought my first Rolex. Not the Daytona, but the Submariner. Still the watch that spends the most time on my wrist. But crack watches are stongly addictive, and I soon added other watches. Seamaster, GMT-Master etc. But forever the Daytona held it's appeal.

So one day I just caved in, and called round to different ADs. Most wouldn't give me the time of day. When I asked about the price, some even had the nerve to ask "Well, how much would you be willing to pay?" Bastards smile.gif Until I happened upon the dealer who simply asked "Black or white?" Hm. White, please? "Ok, I'll put you on the list, and let you know when it arrives." One year later it did satisfied.gif

Now the days of the hard-to-get-Daytona is over, but the watch is ever on the list of keepers. Hype or no hype, the Daytona has not lost an inch of its appeal to me. It's the pefect size for my (not too large) wrists, is both sporty and dressy, and it's hella-precise. Whatever my feelings for it, the watch is forever linked to our familiy, as I timed my daughter's birth with it and wore it on every picture from our first days together. I am grateful for the unisex vibes of the Daytona, as it is hers when I leave this mortal coil. Not a day before that mind you lol8[1].gif

Anyway, not the Daytona on my wrist today, but the 16758 18k GMT-Master. This is a picture from yesterday. Felt winter's first bite, -4 C. I'm always such a pussy when winter sets in, my body has forgotten the winters past. Had a blast riding snowscooters in effective -50 C at 78 degrees north in March, but come November, I whimper at anything under 0 shog[1].gif

So, layers of wool to warm my body, and gold to warm my soul.
post #26260 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post

One more thing. Some friendly advice, having been through this a lot, I can tell you it is not a good idea to want one watch and buy another one instead as a substitute because you just couldn't buy the other one. You will still lust after the first watch and you will be out the money for the other. So buy the one you like or don't buy anything until you can. Unless you have enough money to throw around, or you enjoy buying and selling your watches (usually taking a loss when you do) just not a good idea.

Very good advice.
post #26261 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Yes, I like side tabs on fitted suit pants. Sue me.

y8e3e3yv.jpg
 

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

 

Watch plebe here, what watch is that?  I have a cheap LK Colouring watch I purchased in China which looks like a cheaper version of that one and I would love to upgrade to something more substantial.

 

post #26262 of 39278
thats a patek perpetual calendar chorno.
post #26263 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

And here I thought Fossil was a mass-market mall fashion "designer brand"...

...unless with "designer brands" you mean the like of Michael Kors or Calvin Klein. Though I fail to see the difference between Fossil and "designer brands" in that case.

For $200 and mechanical you would likely be restricted to Chinese or Japanese movements - perhaps a seagull:

http://www.seagull1963.com/

or perhaps a mechanical Seiko of some sort.

I don't consider Fossil a "designer brand". They are a watchmaker. They make the watches that designer brands re-brand as their own.
post #26264 of 39278
That would be quite the large upgrade smile.gif.
post #26265 of 39278
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

thats a patek perpetual calendar chorno.

Thank you, that watch has two more 0's than I expected.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread