or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1715

post #25711 of 31081
I am with you on that. Anytime you are spending north of $100,000 on a watch, it has to be as close to perfect as it is going to get.
post #25712 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

thanks for the TTP pic, frills. while im sure it is al kinds of luxury like most all PPs, and i would be glad to own it, i can imagine buying it if i was in the market for a perp in that price range.

dont like the tachymeter. if they would get rid of it entirely i think it would make a world of difference.

 

For me it's one of those things where yeah, if someone gave it to me for free then I certainly wouldn't kick it to the curb.  But... there's enough going on with the strange aesthetic design choices that gives me pause.  Makes me wonder if I could really live with elements of the design.

 

And at that price point there should be abso-frigging-lutely zero point zero zero doubt that you love everything - everything - about the piece.

 

Still, if the reports are right and it's a limited edition of 200 pieces, I am sure Patek won't have a problem selling this.  Just... not for me.

post #25713 of 31081
oh they will sell out for sure. and half or more will probably be to people who hope to use it as an investemnt because its a limited run.
post #25714 of 31081
Cloudy autumn day today. Base color palette is shades of brown/gold; PP 3970J on the wrist; bespoke jacket has details of red and blue in the subtle windowpane design, along with blue accents for selected buttonholes; shoes are Edward Green's Harrogate; go-to fedora is made of hemp. Quite like the texture play today.

anedanu8.jpg
post #25715 of 31081

These posts seem better suited for WAYWRN, but if people enjoy seeing watches paired with outfits in this thread, then I'm happy to be wrong.

post #25716 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I like the separate leap year and day/night indicators.  But the rest is just...clumsy?

This = fail.  Frilly's 3970p = win.
+1

I could live with the separate leap year & day/night indicator, but the rest is a disaster! WTF is with the tachymeter and the bend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

The second one just looks terrible.

Bend - Fail fail fail
Numbers on the outside - unsophisticated, bad bad bad

+1

Bend = Epic Failure! They ought to fire the idiot that came up with that idea.
post #25717 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


+100, leave the diamonds to the ladies please. The prices are bad enough with just women wanting them lets hope a trend of men wanting them on their watches/cufflinks/tiebars or whatever else they can stick them on doesn't pick up.

 

Hey man, be a little open minded! :) 

 

post #25718 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post
 

 

Hey man, be a little open minded! :)

 

Good point.  And since I am a fan of the Nautilus model and Patek in general (despite my misgivings about the new 5270 design)... how about this model?  The 5719/1G, retails in the high $200s/low $300s:

 

 

(Pictures from the internet)

 

I hear this is a real "stealth" watch.  40mm case size.


I mean, you can even get it via Amazon.  Wonder if it's eligible for Amazon Prime for the 2-day free delivery......

 

http://www.amazon.com/Patek-Philippe-Nautilus-White-Diamond/dp/B00EUI6XLS

 

(Read the customer reviews (there are seven) - heh heh)

post #25719 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

I am with you on that. Anytime you are spending north of $100 on a watch, it has to be as close to perfect as it is going to get.

 

Why buy something you're not really happy about?  Whatever the cost.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post


+1

I could live with the separate leap year & day/night indicator, but the rest is a disaster! WTF is with the tachymeter and the bend?
+1

Bend = Epic Failure! They ought to fire the idiot that came up with that idea.

 

I actually think the tachymeter and even the weird bend in it, could be stylish and interesting; a deliberate asymmetrical quirk to push the envelope a bit.  Really, I could live with that if it seemed like more of a choice and less of a compromise.

 

 What gets me is that it looks like the whole face melted!  All the subdials could be 2mm higher, i.e. the left and right centred over 3 and 9, and the day and date windows are small enough to go higher still.  If the subdials were big, and distorting the tachymeter or whatever by that necessity, horizontally as well as at the bottom, it might look more natural.  But it just seems like the thing needs a facelift!

post #25720 of 31081
MAKE IT STOP!!!
post #25721 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post


+1

I could live with the separate leap year & day/night indicator, but the rest is a disaster! WTF is with the tachymeter and the bend?

+1

Bend = Epic Failure! They ought to fire the idiot that came up with that idea.

 

I think this is the same "evolution" in design that Patek went through when they discontinued the 3970 in 2004 and came out with the 5970.  It took them "three years to design the 5970" because the "3970 was so iconic" but "they felt that they succeeded" (in coming up with a better model).  I don't agree, at least aesthetically.  Here's the 3970:

 

 

When they came out with the 5970, they didn't change the base movement (CH27-70).  They made the case size larger (from the 3970's 36mm to the 5970's 39mm), added a tachymeter, and made a few other changes (pushers became square from round/pump, lugs more flared):

 

 

But now, see how the moonphase/date cuts off the tachy at the end.  This bothered people like me, but looks fine in person and clearly does not bother the overall secondary market, as the 5970 in various metals trades at anywhere from a $20,000 to $30,000 premium versus comparable 3970 models.  Also an issue of supply, since, for example, the 5970 in yellow gold was only produced for one year (2009) before the entire reference was discontinued.  Probably less than 100 made.

 

But that whole tachy bending at the bottom of the new 5270 design seems... tacky.  Pow!

post #25722 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

 

I actually think the tachymeter and even the weird bend in it, could be stylish and interesting; a deliberate asymmetrical quirk to push the envelope a bit.  Really, I could live with that if it seemed like more of a choice and less of a compromise.

 

 What gets me is that it looks like the whole face melted!  All the subdials could be 2mm higher, i.e. the left and right centred over 3 and 9, and the day and date windows are small enough to go higher still.  If the subdials were big, and distorting the tachymeter or whatever by that necessity, horizontally as well as at the bottom, it might look more natural.  But it just seems like the thing needs a facelift!

 

I wish I thought about this one first, but for proper citation I must admit I read this from some other forum: the whole face resembles an emoticon for throwing up.

post #25723 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Why buy something you're not really happy about?  Whatever the cost.


I actually think the tachymeter and even the weird bend in it, could be stylish and interesting; a deliberate asymmetrical quirk to push the envelope a bit.  Really, I could live with that if it seemed like more of a choice and less of a compromise.

 What gets me is that it looks like the whole face melted!  All the subdials could be 2mm higher, i.e. the left and right centred over 3 and 9, and the day and date windows are small enough to go higher still.  If the subdials were big, and distorting the tachymeter or whatever by that necessity, horizontally as well as at the bottom, it might look more natural.  But it just seems like the thing needs a facelift!

Well, in regards to your first statement, I think that you can be more than happy with something without that thing being perfect. I love my Speedmaster and my MUT Moon, but they definitely have what one could perceive as flaws. Neither are 100% perfect. But then, I think with me, almost nothing will ever be "perfection" (maybe this is why I have relationship issues rotflmao.gif)

And I completely agree with your statement regarding a design being quirkily asymmetrical. I think that this VC is an excellent example:



Here though it is clear that the asymmetrical face was designed with purpose, rather than as an afterthought.
post #25724 of 31081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


Well, in regards to your first statement, I think that you can be more than happy with something without that thing being perfect. I love my Speedmaster and my MUT Moon, but they definitely have what one could perceive as flaws. Neither are 100% perfect. But then, I think with me, almost nothing will ever be "perfection" (maybe this is why I have relationship issues rotflmao.gif)

And I completely agree with your statement regarding a design being quirkily asymmetrical. I think that this VC is an excellent example:



Here though it is clear that the asymmetrical face was designed with purpose, rather than as an afterthought.

 

Three things:

 

1.  Like your attitude about not expecting perfection.

 

2.  Would have thought (1) would help in a relationship - unless you were seeking out others who were, uhm, more perfect.

 

3.  That VC is GORGEOUS.

post #25725 of 31081
1. that VC is awesome.

2. it strikes me as more symmetrical than non, just vertically.

3. whats with PP and the tachys? they dont seem to add anything to the watches aesthetic, to me anyways, and i dont thing anyone actually uses them functionally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread