or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1710

post #25636 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

You know, I have read something to that effect on TRF. Those guys have noticed that the used Rolex market has dropped substantially over the past few months. Of course, this is 100% anecdotal, but following some of the posts on that forum since around June or July, I have noticed a thread every week or so that has noted this shift. I do not know if I would chalk it up to any particular reason, I think it is more likely a combination of many factors:
 
  • "Asian" markets drying up (probably the #1 reason--and drying up is of course relative);
  • Summer / fall doldrums, I feel like things are always slower before Christmas;
  • Supply / demand--when you are pumping out close to a million watches a year, supply will inevitably catch up with demand (really have no empirical evidence on this);

And just generally, and this is just my own personal theory, I feel like the "watch renaissance" has really reached a new peak. Just a general observation, it will only be a matter of time before watches become more less trendy. Further, with the information available on the interwebz, I really do think that many buyers are not just walking into their local jewelry store and picking up the first thing that catches their eye.

Once again, this is all just guesswork.

 

What Nuke said above.  I think changing preferences also matter (but are notoriously hard to predict) - the Explorer I 114270 in particular had its proverbial day in the sun, with secondary  market prices peaking and now coming down to more affordable levels.  Same with Daytonas.  But as to which piece will be the next to soar in the secondary market, who knows.

 

The perception of relative rarity, as Nuke touched on above, certainly makes some people want to place bets.  It's old news by now, but I don't think it's been mentioned here in TWAT, so I'll do it: about two weeks ago Patek very quietly discontinued a bunch of references: the 5980/1a all-steel Nautilus with a chrono function, every single 5960 reference (the recently released self-winding annual calendar chrono), even the 5270 in white gold (perpetual calendar chronograph, the successor to my 3970 and the later 5970), which had only been in production since 2010 or so.  Now there's all sorts of buzz about which one to snap up before secondary market prices begin to rise (because most of these models had been trading at a discount versus MSRP).

 

Which one will actually rise and have secondary market prices that far exceed the last known MSRP is anyone's guess.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lolsavingmoneywhodoesthatanymore

 

#inorite

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, just snapped a couple pics of the work get-up. I need to work on my technique, Frills makes me shog[1].gif

 

Love the shoes/socks combo and of course the timepiece for the day.  Had to be in a monkey suit again today, so will post a pic of that too - but via TapaTalk for the GIANT PICTURE WIN.

post #25637 of 36930
Today - charcoal grey suit can be boring, so add a dash of subtle herringbone texture here, a splash of color there. Shoes are GG Colcutt, single monk strap on the Deco last. Watch is the tonneau shaped 5040 perpetual calendar.

I know Dino likes the tonneau shaped watch but is no fan of the tie bar. The tie bar does hold the tie in place for me given my swashbuckling day job. Kidding. Functionality aside I just like the little hint of detail that a vintage tie bar adds. Plus I'm a f*ng SF regular dandy type, I guess. wink.gif

6e3u3yzu.jpg
post #25638 of 36930
looks sharp. thanks for the reply on my query. smile.gif
post #25639 of 36930

Newcomer - watch and shoes look terrific.

post #25640 of 36930
Dandy indeed. Nice pics.




Can somebody please tell me why I like that BIG ASS moonphase on the preceding page (A & S)? It defies much of what I normally find appealing about timepieces.
post #25641 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post


Can somebody please tell me why I like that BIG ASS moonphase on the preceding page (A & S)? It defies much of what I normally find appealing about timepieces.

The detail on it is fantastic, and I think it works significantly better on the black dial. Honestly, it may be one of my favorite moonphases I've seen because it's all about the moonphase,as opposed to it just being part of a subdial on a relatively busy dial. I think I've pulled up pictures of it 6 or 7 times now today, I'm just really drawn to it.

post #25642 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post
 

 

Roger, I never said that anyone appointed me as a spokesperson.  However, let it stand for the record that I am the only one - with the exception of Dino's post above - who directly told you that a number of us via private messages find some of your past posts logically inconsistent, rather relativistic, at times somewhat ridiculous and at some point a bit loony.  Maybe it's better to have done it via private messaging.  But perhaps - think about this - I'm the only one who cared to call you out like this versus just ignoring you or writing you off when you, well, go off on some (and let me phrase this carefully) "extended diatribe that might be perceived by others as, well, ranting."

 

I am trying my best to get this across as constructive feedback, but it is your decision as to how to interpret it.  You can write off what I write completely and simply assume that you are always, always in the right in terms of what you say and how you say it, no matter which community member you might offend or put off.  Or perhaps acknowledge that there is a small grain of truth in what  I'm writing here.  You don't even have to acknowledge it in public; just think about the possibility that I might actually have a point, that I am not attacking you, that I actually care about what you share, about what you have to say, and with how others respect you in our little TWAT-ty community.

 

That's your choice.  This is the last time I'll call you out on anything I perceive to be, well, ranting.

 

Sure sounds like you're still trying to act like a spokesperson.  I get PMs too - some of them thanking for not swallowing wholesale some of the arrogant condescension that emerges periodically in this thread.  But I'd prefer to just speak my own mind and stand by the content of my own posts rather than engage in an attempt to rest on the unstated support of unnamed others.  If you don't like it, I'll just have to deal with it somehow. But please don't engage in the facile sophistry of repeatedly insulting me while pretending to offer sincere advise.  Hypocrisy does not become you.

post #25643 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lovely up north and down south. uhoh.gif

Funny, that is not the first time I have heard that today. Just kidding, thanks bud fistbump.gif

By the way, I think I am going to pick up those beige pants. If you could send me a PM in regards to the fit of them, I would be much obliged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

What Nuke said above.  I think changing preferences also matter (but are notoriously hard to predict) - the Explorer I 114270 in particular had its proverbial day in the sun, with secondary  market prices peaking and now coming down to more affordable levels.  Same with Daytonas.  But as to which piece will be the next to soar in the secondary market, who knows.

The perception of relative rarity, as Nuke touched on above, certainly makes some people want to place bets.  It's old news by now, but I don't think it's been mentioned here in TWAT, so I'll do it: about two weeks ago Patek very quietly discontinued a bunch of references: the 5980/1a all-steel Nautilus with a chrono function, every single 5960 reference (the recently released self-winding annual calendar chrono), even the 5270 in white gold (perpetual calendar chronograph, the successor to my 3970 and the later 5970), which had only been in production since 2010 or so.  Now there's all sorts of buzz about which one to snap up before secondary market prices begin to rise (because most of these models had been trading at a discount versus MSRP).

Which one will actually rise and have secondary market prices that far exceed the last known MSRP is anyone's guess.

Love the shoes/socks combo and of course the timepiece for the day.  Had to be in a monkey suit again today, so will post a pic of that too - but via TapaTalk for the GIANT PICTURE WIN.

Thanks man! I think you are right about that. I mean, right now, everyone is talking about the BLNR, and a couple others. The Explorer is definitely on the back burner for many, I am sure. Even the Sub.

And I was not aware of Patek's discontinuation of all those references. I am very surprised about the 5960, I seem to remember it being VERY recently released (as well as the 5270). That is an interesting move, one that I am not really certain that I understand. Perhaps it is because they have been trading at a discount?
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

...[/IMG]

Very nice, despite my general dislike of "red" ties. I really like the shoes though, I have wanted some of those for eons. It reminds me of what may be my favorite monkstrap evar, the JL Vale (followed by the JLC Chapel). Although I have personally never worn a tie bar, I have no qualms smile.gif. Really like the charcoal herringbone though, I have found that grey herringbone suits are some of my favorite. In general, I like the visual interest that a herringbone and birdseye add without being too distracting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Newcomer - watch and shoes look terrific.

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words.
post #25644 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Dandy indeed. Nice pics.

Can somebody please tell me why I like that BIG ASS moonphase on the preceding page (A & S)? It defies much of what I normally find appealing about timepieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

The detail on it is fantastic, and I think it works significantly better on the black dial. Honestly, it may be one of my favorite moonphases I've seen because it's all about the moonphase,as opposed to it just being part of a subdial on a relatively busy dial. I think I've pulled up pictures of it 6 or 7 times now today, I'm just really drawn to it.

I am with y'all, I have some strange attraction to it. The 42mm case is a bit of a buzzkill though. And the price kind of leaves me hanging though. I would like to see A&S positioned a little bit differently.
post #25645 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Funny, that is not the first time I have heard that today. Just kidding, thanks bud fistbump.gif

ORLY! mwink[1].gif
Quote:
By the way, I think I am going to pick up those beige pants. If you could send me a PM in regards to the fit of them, I would be much obliged.

good decision. sadly, i did not try them on. otherwise i would have had to kop. he has pretty detailed measurements on the site tho.
post #25646 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post



I am with y'all, I have some strange attraction to it. The 42mm case is a bit of a buzzkill though. And the price kind of leaves me hanging though. I would like to see A&S positioned a little bit differently.

 

That's a pretty fierce price bracket they're in, for sure.  But...I like the ones with the paintings of ships on.  They're charming.

post #25647 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post



[/URL]

My next purchase, it's so good.
post #25648 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post


My next purchase, it's so good.

 

No argument here - the number of things I would change about that watch = zero.

post #25649 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

No argument here - the number of things I would change about that watch = it should be on my wrist.

FTFM smile.gif
post #25650 of 36930
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


FTFM smile.gif

 

Yes indeed stitchy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread