or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1702

post #25516 of 31068
First day in the wild for both the tie and watch. Cross post.


Edited by Patek - 10/11/13 at 7:05am
post #25517 of 31068

Patek - great piece (nod to Dino's too). I keep thinking I still need a Sub in my life.  One day I will pull the trigger.

 

For now, I am flouting all sorts of rules (supposedly) by wearing a stainless steel watch - not a dress watch - with a suit.  I respect those who make and enforce the "rules" - I do believe that you have to learn the rules at some point.  That is, you need to learn the rules to move past them and be yourself.  :D

 

 

Also, that's not a purple suit I'm wearing.  It's the strange filter that Instagram has; the suit and tie are navy.

post #25518 of 31068
patek, great rolex. congrats.

academe - jlc looks great. can we see the other side perhaps? smile.gif


i kinda wanna bid on the jlc in the ebay link.
post #25519 of 31068
I'm watching it on ebay but I bet it closes at around $2k.

I'm currently in the market for a watch storage box but with space for cufflinks and tie clips. Any recommendations?
post #25520 of 31068
im watching it, too. that sounds about right.


sorry, man. i always store my watches in the original boxes. those things are built into the price, might as well use em, lol.
post #25521 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

sorry, man. i always store my watches in the original boxes. those things are built into the price, might as well use em, lol.

 

We differ here somewhat, stitchy.  I don't have a lot of closet or shelf space in NYC, and some of the new Patek boxes are CRAZY large.  Like this:

 

 

 

I have a simple storage box for my manuals and a 6-piece Wolf Winder for my perpetuals and self-winders (and the wife's).  Lies flat against the wall and/or slips into the shelf I use for my other knick knacks.


I throw my tie bars, cuff links, rings, etc (what the - who am I, Mr T?  Just need necklaces) in a vintage men's accessories container in leather.  Beat up, looks great.   Got it along with a lot of 50 assorted vintage tie bars and cuff links from eBay for, like, $40.

post #25522 of 31068
So, today is the day... I passed!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #25523 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, today is the day... I passed!
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Truly a special moment!

So glad you shared this with us, Nuke!!!

post #25524 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, today is the day... I passed! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

MAZAL TOV!!! great news, newC!!

---

frills, that box is all kinds of awesome. if you are not using it, please sent it my way. smile.gif
post #25525 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

How long does it take for the sharp edges to dull out? I find the case edges to be a little sharper and what I would like.

Unless you are really rough with you Sub and bang it up the edges stay crisp and sharp. But you'll get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

nice rolllllly smile.gif
Thanks smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

Love the Reverso. On my list of watches to get.

+1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

First day in the wild for both the tie and watch. Cross post.

Looks good, enjoy them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Patek - great piece (nod to Dino's too). I keep thinking I still need a Sub in my life.  One day I will pull the trigger.

For now, I am flouting all sorts of rules (supposedly) by wearing a stainless steel watch - not a dress watch - with a suit.  I respect those who make and enforce the "rules" - I do believe that you have to learn the rules at some point.  That is, you need to learn the rules to move past them and be yourself.  biggrin.gif

I love how the Nautilus looks with a suit. I never feel that a 5711/5712 or RO are too sporty or the wrong metal for a suit. They are so versatile that I'd feel very comfortable wearing any with a suit. Maybe only for very formal occasions would I feel a dress watch in precious metal is required.
post #25526 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, today is the day... I passed!

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you. I'm sure you are thrilled and your parents must be very proud. Well done my friend!
post #25527 of 31068
Here you go in stitches:



Sorry it's a little blurry. I'll try to take another shot later. I was waiting for the light levels to die down a bit, because it's harder to show all the detail on the black/charcoal dial in full daylight. I have both faces set to the same time zone so I can use them for different outfits/occasions.
Edited by academe - 10/11/13 at 10:41am
post #25528 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Unless you normally have trouble identifying which shirt is yours, I would suggest losing the monogram.  But, that's probably none of my business.  What I should say is: absolutely lovely watch. smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. wink.gif I normally get my monograms placed at the bottom of the hem where they are absolutely invisible...This is the only shirt where I decided - on a whim - to have the monogram placed on my cuff.
post #25529 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Here you go in stitches:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sorry it's a little blurry. I'll try to take another shot later. I was waiting for the light levels to die down a bit, because it's harder to show all the detail on the black/charcoal dial in full daylight. I have both faces set to the same time zone so I can use them for different outfits/occasions.

my man! i love it.

and yes, ime black dials are super hard to photograph.
post #25530 of 31068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I love how the Nautilus looks with a suit. I never feel that a 5711/5712 or RO are too sporty or the wrong metal for a suit. They are so versatile that I'd feel very comfortable wearing any with a suit. Maybe only for very formal occasions would I feel a dress watch in precious metal is required.

 

Obviously you and I see eye to eye about this.  

 

Also, this iPhone takes decent pics:

 

*

 

Also, those aren't my bare thighs and the edge of my boxer briefs reflected in the mirror polished bezel edge.  Just saying.

 

stitchy - the presentation box is quite beautiful, you're right.  And since I keep mine closed and tucked away, it has that nice lovely smell of leather and lacquered wood every time I open it. MmMmMmM.... I think the fact that there is one on offer from eBay at $800 is a bit ridiculous, but with $5,000 Patek cuff links I guess anything is possible.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread