or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1651

post #24751 of 33551
I'm being flown out to Germany to pick it up in person.
post #24752 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I'm being flown out to Germany to pick it up in person.

 

Very nice!  Looking forward to seeing some pix soon.  

post #24753 of 33551
MrMoo that sounds amazing. Can't wait to see pics of the watch and maybe the experience. smile.gif
post #24754 of 33551
Yeah, absolutely. Just... just stay right here in the thread and refresh it every hour or so.
post #24755 of 33551
lol ya'll being played by moo.
post #24756 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Yeah, absolutely. Just... just stay right here in the thread and refresh it every hour or so.

 

Boom!  One of the lucky SIX!

:cheers:

post #24757 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I'm being flown out to Germany to pick it up in person.

thats great. Make sure you accept the complimentary "Heidelberg Handshake" when they take you to the secret back room. Edeltraud is rough, but thorough.
post #24758 of 33551
Reading the Grand Seiko discussion lately has been very interesting. And I guess I will come out of the wood works... I am exactly the person Dino described, to a T. I love Grand Seiko, I think they are a great "value," I like their designs (well, some of them), I like what they stand for, and I think they are really very beautiful watches. But something has always held me back. First I got an Omega. Second, when I had a larger budget, I decided to go for a JLC. Third, when I had a larger budget, I once against opted for a JLC. At each of these steps, I really did consider the Snowflake. I asked about pricing, I looked into reviews, I oogled it. But at the end of the day, I chose Omega, and I chose JLC.

I may get a Grand Seiko one day, but I guess brand means more to me than I think it does! I have drooled over several models, but at the end of the day, I think I will be hard pressed to actually take the plunge. There will always be that voice in the back of my head that says "save for the Patek," or "you always wanted a Submariner, spring for that!" I think it will likely be a while until I am "at the place" where I am ready for a GS. In isolation, they are gorgeous watches, probably the best in their class. But in the grand scheme of things, it is much more difficult.
post #24759 of 33551
well said Nuke.
post #24760 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Reading the Grand Seiko discussion lately has been very interesting. And I guess I will come out of the wood works... I am exactly the person Dino described, to a T. I love Grand Seiko, I think they are a great "value," I like their designs (well, some of them), I like what they stand for, and I think they are really very beautiful watches. But something has always held me back. First I got an Omega. Second, when I had a larger budget, I decided to go for a JLC. Third, when I had a larger budget, I once against opted for a JLC. At each of these steps, I really did consider the Snowflake. I asked about pricing, I looked into reviews, I oogled it. But at the end of the day, I chose Omega, and I chose JLC.

I may get a Grand Seiko one day, but I guess brand means more to me than I think it does! I have drooled over several models, but at the end of the day, I think I will be hard pressed to actually take the plunge. There will always be that voice in the back of my head that says "save for the Patek," or "you always wanted a Submariner, spring for that!" I think it will likely be a while until I am "at the place" where I am ready for a GS. In isolation, they are gorgeous watches, probably the best in their class. But in the grand scheme of things, it is much more difficult.

 

Nuke, for "coming out" like that I think you deserve THIS:

 

 

 

Warning: Kate Upton. Potentially bad for your blood pressure. (Click to show)

 

post #24761 of 33551
newC, that was an awesome post if i ever read one.
post #24762 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

well said Nuke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Nuke, for "coming out" like that I think you deserve THIS: Warning: Kate Upton. Potentially bad for your blood pressure. (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

newC, that was an awesome post if i ever read one.

Thanks a lot guys. Frills, I am thankful that my blood pressure is A-OK at my tender young age.

Also, just wanted to add / clarify one thing. I think that despite our watch appreciation, and particularly mine, at the end of the day we cannot forget that this is a very emotional purchase. I mean I love AL&S, but I have to wonder--if I was about to make a ~30-40 thousand dollar watch purchase, would I get an AL&S, or would I get a Patek? I can tell you this, I probably would not get a GP.

At the end of the day, I did not grow up thinking "one day I will get a Grand Seiko." It hits my logical buttons, but it fails to give me that psychological boost. I want a Grand Seiko one day, I really do, but there are a lot of boxes to check off first.
post #24763 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

Went with this in the end:

win
post #24764 of 33551
Guys, we are all brand whores, to some degree or another. No one wants one of their top 3-5 watches (in terms of both price and place in collection) to be from a brand associated with making $100 watches. If it's your 10th watch, or 20th, or 100th, then sure, get the Grand Seiko. But none-WIS's won't get it, and if that's important to you - even a little bit - you won't spend your money on it.
post #24765 of 33551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

win

Apparently I missed this. Fantastic watch, cyc. Wear it well!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread