or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1650

post #24736 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

This is exactly correct - it's not a DOWNSIDE to the GS buyer that the great unwashed do not recognize his selection for what it is.

agreed, its not a downside to him. he will be happy as a bluebird for all times. and rightly so.

its a downside to seiko that they will never be able to sell as many GSs for the price they want to, in the states, because people have a pre existing metal association with the brand. that is all anyone is saying as i understand it.
post #24737 of 39267
FWIW ive never seen a GS watch that i really liked. They all just look like a better finished one from the Macy's watch case. Busy dials, etc.
post #24738 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post



totally fine, and i respect you for that. but you are by a country mile, or twenty, in the minority. and that is the battle that seiko faces with GS in the states. they have steadfast customers like you, who will happily kop and love their GSs, but most other people, just cant make that mental jump.



sa'll good.

 



But they are not trying to sell to "most people" stitchy - they make but a few and have a loyal customer base who are, as you say, very happy with the product. Most people can't / won't make the mental jump to that purchase choice - I don't dispute that for a single second.
post #24739 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

FWIW ive never seen a GS watch that i really liked. They all just look like a better finished one from the Macy's watch case. Busy dials, etc.

 



Busy dials? Did you see the watch I posted? Not sure how a 4-hand GMT watch could be much less busy. You must really hate the Rolex GMT then... :-)
post #24740 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

But they are not trying to sell to "most people" stitchy - they make but a few and have a loyal customer base who are, as you say, very happy with the product. Most people can't / won't make the mental jump to that purchase choice - I don't dispute that for a single second.

superb we are in agreement. in that case, more power to them!
post #24741 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


i fear you may have missed my point entirely. yes, surely the people who actually buy them dont care, at least not enough to stop them from buying. and or they hope to make other people understand why the value is what it is.

what i am saying is, and i thought i was quite clear, that most people do not understand, or care to understand all this. and that is why imo seiko will never get mass popularity in the states for GSs at the price point they are in. the mental disconnect of the majority of shoppers is too strong. joe the dude who got a nice year end bonus will not buy a fancy watch that he cant understand and knows that his boys at the bar will ridicule. its just the reality. most shoppers think that way.

hell, even we do. if i posted here next week that i bought a watch from fossil for 20Gs, would anyone not think, "what a freaking moron? you can get a PP for that" even if they believed me that it was an amazing quality watch worth the price? no, everyone would think that, and some would even say it.

you are who you are, and for most shoppers, thats is a very strong factor in their decision process.

 

I didn't miss your point, it's why I followed up my comment with another saying, "But getting back to the real point, I agree it's a good example of the difficulties Ben can potentially face." The response you quoted was just a response because I had an issue with the joke line (foreveralone) in your hypothetical at the end.

post #24742 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post



agreed, its not a downside to him. he will be happy as a bluebird for all times. and rightly so.



its a downside to seiko that they will never be able to sell as many GSs for the price they want to, in the states, because people have a pre existing metal association with the brand. that is all anyone is saying as i understand it.

 



It's a downside for Seiko only if they were hoping to sell a many GS watches in the States as Rolex and Omega do. They would struggle mightily indeed to climb that mountain. But I don't believe that to be their aim at all. It is a niche product that, for them, is more of a touchstone of the best of Japanese watchmaking than a profit center. Like Rolex, their bottom line is pretty damned healthy.
post #24743 of 39267
Guys, quick (or maybe not?) question. I was reading this article (http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6605007&rid=27448#msg_6605007) and I started to Google all of the different complications (admittedly, I did not know what a petite sonnerie was biggrin.gif ). Given that this particular watch has a few different complications which produce some sort of audible sound, can one turn the sounds off somehow? If not, then one would be forced to know that another 15 minutes has passed, over and over, no? Would love to know.
post #24744 of 39267
An example of how much brand matters in retail sales is the VW Phaeton, probably one of the best constructed and engineered cars in its class at the time and VW used much of the car except the body for the Bentley Continental. But it was a VW and competing in the top of the MB, BMW, Audi, Jaguar end of the market. A certain number of buyers appreciated the design and stealth wealth idea of a £60,000 VW but the vast majority did not. They had earned a MB S class and wanted their neighbours to see it. Like Seiko VW were very successful but until the Chinese market took of which did not have the same brand connotations as Europe and the USA they did not sell many Phaetons. Perhaps there are markets Ben can sell at a premium price but not I suspect the USA and Europe.
post #24745 of 39267
working on it RP, wonder if the 9300 bracelet will fit it, doubtful though.
post #24746 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Guys, quick (or maybe not?) question. I was reading this article (http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6605007&rid=27448#msg_6605007) and I started to Google all of the different complications (admittedly, I did not know what a petite sonnerie was biggrin.gif ). Given that this particular watch has a few different complications which produce some sort of audible sound, can one turn the sounds off somehow? If not, then one would be forced to know that another 15 minutes has passed, over and over, no? Would love to know.

Did not read about that watch, but all Repeaters I know of only sound off when the lever is pulled. Without the lever being pulled, the watch will simply run like any other watch.
post #24747 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Did not read about that watch, but all Repeaters I know of only sound off when the lever is pulled. Without the lever being pulled, the watch will simply run like any other watch.

this. it will not sound until you pull the lever. What watch is linked? I cant access TZ. peepwall[1].gif
post #24748 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

I didn't miss your point, it's why I followed up my comment with another saying, "But getting back to the real point, I agree it's a good example of the difficulties Ben can potentially face." The response you quoted was just a response because I had an issue with the joke line (foreveralone) in your hypothetical at the end.

The forever alone guy in my joke was not meant to be the type of buyer that knows all about what a GS is and doesn't care about what anybody else thinks. He was the every man, and he is why the everyman will not likely buy a GS. However, I think we are all pretty much on the same page here in the end.
post #24749 of 39267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

this. it will not sound until you pull the lever. What watch is linked? I cant access TZ. peepwall[1].gif

AL&S Grand Complication

Thanks guys
post #24750 of 39267
Any time. Please post pics after you kop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread