or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1644

post #24646 of 35777
oops I thought I read 2-3000.... sorry
post #24647 of 35777
Seiko
Citizen
Orient
Tissot
post #24648 of 35777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Seiko
Citizen
Orient
Tissot

what would one recommend for a watch with a budget of between $500 and $1000? Looking for a dressier watch mainly for formal occasions but a watch that's versatile enough to wear with a leather strap and a more casual nylon-type strap would be ideal.
post #24649 of 35777

I think you may get better advice here, where the posters are more closely focused on those price ranges. Ignore the thread title, it's not meant as a value judgement:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/223261/poor-mans-watch-thread/3180

post #24650 of 35777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc121 View Post


what would one recommend for a watch with a budget of between $500 and $1000? Looking for a dressier watch mainly for formal occasions but a watch that's versatile enough to wear with a leather strap and a more casual nylon-type strap would be ideal.

 

At the lower end of that price range, Tissot or Hamilton spring to mind.  They both do quite modern dress watches that are sporty enough for a NATO strap too.

 

Getting up to the top of the prices, plenty of models from those two, also Longines and possibly Tag Heuer if you shop around a bit.

 

But my $1000 pick would be Stowa.  For reasons I am not sure I can explain; I just like them.  For your purposes, I think a Marine Original would be just the ticket.

post #24651 of 35777
+1 - you'll get some great advice over on that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post

I think you may get better advice here, where the posters are more closely focused on those price ranges. Ignore the thread title, it's not meant as a value judgement:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/223261/poor-mans-watch-thread/3180


+2, both can be had with considerable discounts, BTW, so do your homework. Solid choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

At the lower end of that price range, Tissot or Hamilton spring to mind.  They both do quite modern dress watches that are sporty enough for a NATO strap too.

Getting up to the top of the prices, plenty of models from those two, also Longines and possibly Tag Heuer if you shop around a bit.

But my $1000 pick would be Stowa.  For reasons I am not sure I can explain; I just like them.  For your purposes, I think a Marine Original would be just the ticket.
post #24652 of 35777
Probably a little obsessive, but I loved the Explorer II so much that I picked up a black dial version to complement my white dial. smile.gif

post #24653 of 35777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

Probably a little obsessive, but I loved the Explorer II so much that I picked up a black dial version to complement my white dial. smile.gif
 

 

'Grats on the pick up!  I can totally get behind the idea of getting two of something with slight variations, especially if you really like it.  Wear 'em in good health!

post #24654 of 35777

5711 for the weekend.

 

post #24655 of 35777
No frills is ripped too!! Awesome.

Moo, nice pick up. Love how it looks with your work clothes
post #24656 of 35777

SG - congrats on the new one...side by side pic?

 

As for watches in the sub-500 range, I think you could watch the daily deals type sites like gilt, myhabit, ruelala, and others for something to pop up that piques your interest.  Not too many auto's get put on them but Hamiltons are abound on Amazon.

 

In the 500-1000 range, you have your choice.  I think Mimo brings up a great piece in a Stowa.  I have noticed a lot of random start-up, kickstarter like watch companies starting up.  It is a crap shoot if you get something good from them but they are taking the sub-1000 range by storm.

post #24657 of 35777
In the whatever to $1K range I think you have to start with Stowa for, at the very least, a baseline. I'm not sure it gets any better, at least IMO, at that range so I think you need to check them out for a comparable.
post #24658 of 35777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post

I think you may get better advice here, where the posters are more closely focused on those price ranges. Ignore the thread title, it's not meant as a value judgement:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/223261/poor-mans-watch-thread/3180

I had gone through that a little bit but it seems like the suggestions/price ranges were in the <$500 range. I guess I'm looking for a more not-so-poor-mans watch thread.

Most of what I'd been looking at were Stowa, Longines (although limited in this price range) and Hamilton. Thanks for the advice
post #24659 of 35777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

SG - congrats on the new one...side by side pic?....

Here's a quick one from today:

post #24660 of 35777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc121 View Post


what would one recommend for a watch with a budget of between $500 and $1000? Looking for a dressier watch mainly for formal occasions but a watch that's versatile enough to wear with a leather strap and a more casual nylon-type strap would be ideal.

 

You could get a nice vintage Omega in that price range. 

 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Wristwatches-/31387/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=omega&LH_BIN=1&_udlo=500&_udhi=1000

 

As for new:

 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread