or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1621

post #24301 of 35039
today i leaned something new and startling.

late model daytonas, not sure beginning what year, do not have the serial number engraved between the lugs. its only on the inner bezel ring. i almost had a heart attack before i verified that fact.
post #24302 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

today i leaned something new and startling.

late model daytonas, not sure beginning what year, do not have the serial number engraved between the lugs. its only on the inner bezel ring. i almost had a heart attack before i verified that fact.

not sure exactly when that stopped but it was recently...the DeepSea Dweller was the first to have that engraved on the rehaut.
post #24303 of 35039
right now i think pretty much all models have the serial number inside the bezel, visible to the naked eye. do you know of any other models that have no serial number engraving between the lugs? the late model ones i have seen have both between the lugs and inside the bezel.
post #24304 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

right now i think pretty much all models have the serial number inside the bezel, visible to the naked eye. do you know of any other models that have no serial number engraving between the lugs? the late model ones i have seen have both between the lugs and inside the bezel.

not sure. Im fairly certain my GMT IIc has it betwixt the lugs and at 6 on the rehaut....maybe its only on the deepsea and daytonas? honestly i have no idea though.
post #24305 of 35039
cool. ill have to investigate!
post #24306 of 35039
'Sup






post #24307 of 35039
ill tell you whats up. nod[1].gif
post #24308 of 35039
What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice shog[1].gif And that is enough.

96ebfa800bc111e38e7322000a1fbd90_7.jpg

ef4b9df20bc111e3b13b22000a9e0790_7.jpg

Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

20130823_163351_zpsf519f5b7.jpg
post #24309 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice shog[1].gif And that is enough. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


96ebfa800bc111e38e7322000a1fbd90_7.jpg

ef4b9df20bc111e3b13b22000a9e0790_7.jpg

 



Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

20130823_163351_zpsf519f5b7.jpg

Whoa, great books for sure.

 

Luv the Red Sub, very nice..

post #24310 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

'Sup







Up, up and away!
post #24311 of 35039
drool.gif
post #24312 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Quick point of note re: discussion of new black/blue Rolex GMT BLNR - am on vaca in the US Virgin Islannds right now and AH Riise at St Thomas (Rolex AD) had it in stock. $8,550 asking.

Niiiiice....sounds like the trip to St. Thomas pays for part of the Black/Blue GMT wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


I think that you likely hit the nail on the head. I really do think it is the location, because I have not had this kind of treatment in other cities. Quite the opposite really. You know, I hate to say it, but it really may just be part of living in certain parts of the American south. I am a preppy, clean cut, WASPY male, about as nondescript as they come. I have had bad experiences, but I have heard substantially worse stories from my close friends.

I appreciate the anecdote! That is really a very nice story, and I am sure it was a great formative experience. I think that spending time with younger customers will often pay dividends further down the road.

So sad that some SAs just don't get it, and treat future customers like a waste of their time.  If it weren't for customers, and future customers the stores wouldn't need SAs.  When I was a SA at a high end clothing store, I always enjoyed waiting on people.  Showing people great items, interacting with them, and helping them see possible ways to enhace their wardrobe,  It sure beat the heck out of straightening items on a quiet day.  I always find going and seeing great SAs are like seeing great friends.  You always look forward to stopping by to see them, and they make you feel welcome, treat you like a good friend, show you cool things whether you are there to buy that day or not, and seeing you is never a waste of their time. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

 

Frills or anyone: Do you have to pay import tax when bringing that BLNR back into the states?  I get confused on declarations and such when not in one of the usual 50 states.

I believe you have to declare the items when you come back to the states.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

'Sup






She's HOT!!!  But I hope the wrist shot is your wrist and not hers wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice shog[1].gif And that is enough.

96ebfa800bc111e38e7322000a1fbd90_7.jpg

ef4b9df20bc111e3b13b22000a9e0790_7.jpg

Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
 

Fantastic books.  Yes, you can get the info on the net, but there is something about having some great watch reference books.  Now you just need the Daytona Book to complete the Trilogy. 

post #24313 of 35039
I'd like to say this Hodinkee article on the RL Khaki vindicates me, but it doesn't really... I'm still not ashamed I liked the watch, but I didn't buy one, so I guess I didn't like it that much. The comments section reads a lot like the TWAT reaction to my saying I liked it when I saw it in person.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-on-with-the-ralph-lauren-rl67-safari-chronometer-live-pics-details-pricing

In other news... tried on a Gray Pano-Lunar today.... almost certainly my next purchase, and probably within a year. I'm a little smitten.
post #24314 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

In other news... tried on a Gray Pano-Lunar today.... almost certainly my next purchase, and probably within a year. I'm a little smitten.
Awesome watch, I fully endorse and encourage this.
post #24315 of 35039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

Awesome watch, I fully endorse and encourage this.

THIS!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread