or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1565

post #23461 of 31052
Pepsi for me today smile.gif

d760067ff9ef05c385a28422e7cc6937_zps84ce9e16.jpg
post #23462 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i liek some, i disliek others. i absolutely fell in love with some of the reissues of the prince models with the exhibition back, a few years ago, but when i tried them on it was laughable how feminine it looked on my wrist. too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Thanks Stitchy!
Not a fan of them.  For what they cost there are true dress watches from other manufacturers that I would prefer to own.  Just like Stitchy mentioned, I too was curious to see their Prince line of watches when they released them.  But upon seeing them in person I was very disappointed.  Way too garish, not classic like the originals, and far too feminine.
One of the things Rolex does well is the dial, and I think that is someplace the Cellini watches I have seen look good. The designs themselves are not so impressive though some models are OK. What I was curious about is whether Rolex finishes the movement to the same standards as the other top watchmakers. I know they don't in their regular line, which is ok since I think of those as basically sports models (even the DJs) and you are basically buying for the robustness of the movement and the solid case design. But for the Cellinis to compete in the dress space, I would think they would need to do better on the movements. I don't know if they do.

That said, who buys them? I have never seen a Cellini on anyone's wrist.
post #23463 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post


I am surprised you allow yourself to use an hour counter that only works for half the day surely a watch like the Longines Twenty-Four Hours would be the only one for you.

Except it has a day counter.

 

Hahaha.  Although that is only a logical comparison if months all came in multiples of 31, and more that one day in the month was commonly referred to by the same number.  Dopey may well be a pedant, but his logic is impeccable.  :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i just couldnt resist.....
 

 

And nor should you, Bromo Sapien.  I liked it when I saw the early pics, I liked it more when I looked it up, and I love it on the wrist.  It looks awesome on the fly; I'm delighted for you.    

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

Thanks to all of you guys who are helping with my decision, Stitchy, RogerP, Dino, No Frills, RNGuy, Wurger -- this type of thoughtfulness and willingness to spend time advising others makes this thread an absolute joy.
 

 

Warning: likely ignorance ahead.

 

If I might chip in a belated two penn'rth:  I agree totally on the Tudor; although a bum like me would be humbled with gratitude to receive one, a guy with two Rolexes already is going to be hard pushed to look suitably excited.  Like a guy with two loaded Mercedes trying to look happy that his wife got him a Skoda.  Whether it's nice or not is almost immaterial; it's a step down in the same thing.  

 

BUT, if you're going that far up in budget, what about the Explorer (1)?  It's just as tough as the Milgauss (Gauss rating notwithstanding), it's a nice size at 39mm for someone used to 40mm watches, and the lack of bezel and simplicity of design is both as practical as the Milgauss, and more versatile/dressy if needed than either of your options, or either of his existing watches.  What's more, it doesn't have a lightning second hand - possibly a little tacky/frivolous in an older man's eyes - and even more impressively, Frilly has one.  And it's a touch cheaper I think.

 

As for the Explorer II, I guess you know he likes the style because he already chose two sporty Rolexes with a bezel.  But  apart from the practicalities of the bezel, maybe there's too much of a good thing?  Something that little more discreet and clean might be nice as an alternative that he doesn't already have.

 

If non-Rolex is still an option, I have to say from IWC I'd be hankering after a Portuguese chronograph myself - within budget, on a strap for variety, and he hasn't got a chrono.  And I just think it's pretty.  But there are a million options in that price range as mentioned: any number of Speedies and alternatives already mentioned, or if you want to keep the budget down while keeping some integrity, maybe go German: something completely different but with individual/iconic design, like a Sinn if you wanted a pilot watch, or a Nomos Zurich is my personal $3k pin-up.

 

However, I've a feeling you've reached a place in your mind where it has to be a Rolex.  And I think, as a 41 year old man, that even though I like the Milgauss, the Explorer 1 is a little more stylish and versatile for a man of substance.  But that's maybe just me.

post #23464 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

Thanks to all of you guys who are helping with my decision, Stitchy, RogerP, Dino, No Frills, RNGuy, Wurger -- this type of thoughtfulness and willingness to spend time advising others makes this thread an absolute joy.

And you guys nailed it on the head regarding why I am entertaining the thought of stretching my budget for a Rolex -- my dad (with that uniquely Southern European immigrant mindset) won't really appreciate the Tudor for its own history and is a bit of a watch snob brand-wise, which makes me shy away slightly from the IWC. He likes what he likes.

What does surprise me is that more folks aren't into the Explorer II. I thought that would get a lot of love from you guys. I find that really interesting, as I really like the Explorer. It's a big bold watch and although for me personally, it wouldn't be my top choice, it is appealing and makes a statement.

I have a ton to think about. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Also, I have a surprise wedding watch gift from my wife-to-be that I will unveil post-honeymoon (we worked on picking it out together with some great advice from Dino). I am so excited to finally get to wear it.
The 16570 is excellent, the new one is meh IMHO. Maybe that explains the lack of explorer love...
post #23465 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

One of the things Rolex does well is the dial, and I think that is someplace the Cellini watches I have seen look good. The designs themselves are not so impressive though some models are OK. What I was curious about is whether Rolex finishes the movement to the same standards as the other top watchmakers. I know they don't in their regular line, which is ok since I think of those as basically sports models (even the DJs) and you are basically buying for the robustness of the movement and the solid case design. But for the Cellinis to compete in the dress space, I would think they would need to do better on the movements. I don't know if they do.
That said, who buys them? I have never seen a Cellini on anyone's wrist.

flip flopping the order here:

the cellini - my boss has one, but almost always wears a steel daytona. his is a round-ish face, gold model, on brown strap. its a nice size and actually a pretty watch. but as dino said, for a gold, thin dress watch, there are many others id lean towards first. though he did not exactly buy it. the store bought it from a customer, probably very cheap, and as an owner, he just kept it.

the movements - the prince movement was very pretty when i saw it, though it was a small window to a small movement. the regular models are not embellished at all like the high end stuff we love to ogle, but pound for pound, imo it is one of the best movements out there. the technology is quite advanced, the reliability is tops, and the QC is tops. its truly a fantastic movement from what i have read about it, and my experience owning them.

so, as far as quality, i think they finish their movements very similarly to top brands, but not as far as beauty and embellishing goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

And nor should you, Bromo Sapien.  I liked it when I saw the early pics, I liked it more when I looked it up, and I love it on the wrist.  It looks awesome on the fly; I'm delighted for you.

inlove.gif thank you kindly, hombre.
post #23466 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Warning: likely ignorance ahead.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

If I might chip in a belated two penn'rth:  I agree totally on the Tudor; although a bum like me would be humbled with gratitude to receive one, a guy with two Rolexes already is going to be hard pushed to look suitably excited.  Like a guy with two loaded Mercedes trying to look happy that his wife got him a Skoda.  Whether it's nice or not is almost immaterial; it's a step down in the same thing.  

 

BUT, if you're going that far up in budget, what about the Explorer (1)?  It's just as tough as the Milgauss (Gauss rating notwithstanding), it's a nice size at 39mm for someone used to 40mm watches, and the lack of bezel and simplicity of design is both as practical as the Milgauss, and more versatile/dressy if needed than either of your options, or either of his existing watches.  What's more, it doesn't have a lightning second hand - possibly a little tacky/frivolous in an older man's eyes - and even more impressively, Frilly has one.  And it's a touch cheaper I think.

 

As for the Explorer II, I guess you know he likes the style because he already chose two sporty Rolexes with a bezel.  But  apart from the practicalities of the bezel, maybe there's too much of a good thing?  Something that little more discreet and clean might be nice as an alternative that he doesn't already have.

 

 

 

If non-Rolex is still an option, I have to say from IWC I'd be hankering after a Portuguese chronograph myself - within budget, on a strap for variety, and he hasn't got a chrono.  And I just think it's pretty.  But there are a million options in that price range as mentioned: any number of Speedies and alternatives already mentioned, or if you want to keep the budget down while keeping some integrity, maybe go German: something completely different but with individual/iconic design, like a Sinn if you wanted a pilot watch, or a Nomos Zurich is my personal $3k pin-up.

Mimo...I liked your disclaimer...it made me laugh.

 

Just a quick note...his Dad has a VC Chronograph...so he does have a chronograph.  

post #23467 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Mimo...I liked your disclaimer...it made me laugh.

 

Just a quick note...his Dad has a VC Chronograph...so he does have a chronograph.  

 

I have little else to contribute to this thread, for now - glad I can entertain in some way!

 

There are not many lovelier things to have in one's life than a VC chronograph, I imagine...

and as you know, this one is always in my dreams.... (Click to show)

 

 

1000

 

post #23468 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Pepsi for me today smile.gif

d760067ff9ef05c385a28422e7cc6937_zps84ce9e16.jpg

always love the pepsi!
post #23469 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Wearing this one today.
700
inlove.gif   My LV says hello

700


Oh hello indeed, bro watches, this thread as an awesome vibe.
post #23470 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I have little else to contribute to this thread, for now - glad I can entertain in some way!

There are not many lovelier things to have in one's life than a VC chronograph, I imagine... and as you know, this one is always in my dreams.... (Click to show)


1000


Hi Mimo,

Always good to get another perspective regarding watches, and entertainment goes a long way.

The Historique Chronograph is a stunning...particularly in platinum!
post #23471 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post


Warning: likely ignorance ahead.

If I might chip in a belated two penn'rth:  I agree totally on the Tudor; although a bum like me would be humbled with gratitude to receive one, a guy with two Rolexes already is going to be hard pushed to look suitably excited.  Like a guy with two loaded Mercedes trying to look happy that his wife got him a Skoda.  Whether it's nice or not is almost immaterial; it's a step down in the same thing.  

BUT, if you're going that far up in budget, what about the Explorer (1)?  It's just as tough as the Milgauss (Gauss rating notwithstanding), it's a nice size at 39mm for someone used to 40mm watches, and the lack of bezel and simplicity of design is both as practical as the Milgauss, and more versatile/dressy if needed than either of your options, or either of his existing watches.  What's more, it doesn't have a lightning second hand - possibly a little tacky/frivolous in an older man's eyes - and even more impressively, Frilly has one.  And it's a touch cheaper I think. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
As for the Explorer II, I guess you know he likes the style because he already chose two sporty Rolexes with a bezel.  But  apart from the practicalities of the bezel, maybe there's too much of a good thing?  Something that little more discreet and clean might be nice as an alternative that he doesn't already have.

If non-Rolex is still an option, I have to say from IWC I'd be hankering after a Portuguese chronograph myself - within budget, on a strap for variety, and he hasn't got a chrono.  And I just think it's pretty.  But there are a million options in that price range as mentioned: any number of Speedies and alternatives already mentioned, or if you want to keep the budget down while keeping some integrity, maybe go German: something completely different but with individual/iconic design, like a Sinn if you wanted a pilot watch, or a Nomos Zurich is my personal $3k pin-up.

However, I've a feeling you've reached a place in your mind where it has to be a Rolex.  And I think, as a 41 year old man, that even though I like the Milgauss, the Explorer 1 is a little more stylish and versatile for a man of substance.  But that's maybe just me.

Haha, nice analogy, my point exactly from my earlier post.

Yes, I also agree with Mimo on may be a more dressy Rolex, what about a "DATE"just, mwink[1].gif
post #23472 of 31052
mimo has made a fine argument for the Explorer 39mm.... here's a bit of visual aid.

Perfectly symmetricized, no? And I will suffer no criticism regarding the length of the hands. None! They are perfectly fine...nothing to see here LOL.








Also, FWIW, I have warmed up considerably to the Milgauss.

Upon its release, I just didn't buy all the hype over the green sapphire, the fact it was selling at over retail, etc....but now that the buzz has died off....I can kind of dig it. Still not a huge fan of polished center links, but I have seen photos where it looks quite nice on a black strap, leather or NATO. Ain't rushing out to get one; just no longer a hater.


@ stitchy: congrats....I won't be wearing any sweaters here in the Gulf Coast for many months! Enjoy.

NS: nice pepsi.

Green guys: great pix.... you know who you are.

Must be another Rolex day here.
post #23473 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Fabulous, very nice indeed.

 

Thank you! But you, sir, not only have a fine collection but also...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Wearing this one today.

700

 

... take such great pics!  

 

I am envious of you folks who can take great pics on the go.  My Blackberry's camera sucks.  Yes, I know, it is perfectly my choice to stick to this antiquated technology only because of my enduring and possibly irrational love for the keyboard.  But one of these days I will get myself a proper camera phone and take good pics on the go too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i just couldnt resist.....


 

I just absolutely adore this blend of colors and accents - and how the clothes and shoes complement the ensemble.  Good job!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

inlove.gif  My LV says hello

 

700

 

 

 

 

I have never been attracted to green as a staple in my basic wardrobe/attire combo choices, but I can definitely make room for green pieces overall if I had this lovely LV.  

 

The more I spend time on TWAT the more I feel like I need a proper Sub in my life.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Pepsi for me today smile.gif

d760067ff9ef05c385a28422e7cc6937_zps84ce9e16.jpg

 

Oh, blessed Rollie day!  Great pic here, bro.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

mimo has made a fine argument for the Explorer 39mm.... here's a bit of visual aid.

Perfectly symmetricized, no? And I will suffer no criticism regarding the length of the hands. None! They are perfectly fine...nothing to see here LOL.






Must be another Rolex day here.

 

Completely missed the posts from yesterday, but want to join in this fine Saturday morning.  Exp I for me all day for a day out splashing around in water parks with my daughters:

 

 

Oh and Keith - don't see anything wrong with your hands.  Or mine.  smile.gif

post #23474 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

older Datejust with silver dial/baton markers. I'm not sold on the newer ones.

 

Classy choice IMO, although...*

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


what about a "DATE"just, mwink[1].gif

 

Maybe too small for someone who only wears 40mm watches, and personally I think the DJII is just unnecessarily cumbersome, and not worth the premium either.  Although it's not suitable (used) for our friend's father, I had a similer urge to Cyc's: *NO DATE Oyster, brushed Oyster bracelet, non-fluted bezel, stick markers, silver dial.  Classic.

 

Or the 39mm Explorer, beautifully modeled above by the fragrant Keith T and the immaculate Frillmeister.  I kind of wish there was a white or silver dial version.  And that all the markers were sticks.  But then it wouldn't be an Explorer I suppose, and It's lovely as it is.

post #23475 of 31052
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

 

My Blackberry's camera sucks.  Yes, I know, it is perfectly my choice to stick to this antiquated technology only because of my enduring and possibly irrational love for the keyboard.  But one of these days I will get myself a proper camera phone and take good pics on the go too.

 

We are of one mind on all of the above!

 

(and the "does my life need a Submariner?" question, too..)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread