or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1552

post #23266 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Shouldn't someone make the obligatory Speedmaster recommendation?

Okay, I guess it's my turn.

CHRK: Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Very thoughtful of you to consider a nice watch-gift for your father......how's about a 3570.50?

That's a great suggestion as well. I can't believe I blanked on a Speedy. I will go check one out ASAP and see how it looks to me. And should be able to get a decent discount on that as well.
post #23267 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Zippy, if I were CHRK, I would do my own homework and not take the advice of someone he doesn't know.  The guy on watchyouseek, could be 100% correct, but he could be wrong or things could have changed in the last 90 days. I previously advised him to check the restrictions as its been a while since I've looked at them.  I would imagine a gift that doesn't arrive due to customs seizure would put a serious damper on the giver's spirits at a time that should be fun and stress free.  

Zippy, thanks for info. Much appreciated.

And Dino, definitely will do some detailed research. Thanks for all the friendly advice.
post #23268 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Shouldn't someone make the obligatory Speedmaster recommendation?

Okay, I guess it's my turn.

CHRK: Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Very thoughtful of you to consider a nice watch-gift for your father......how's about a 3570.50?

A Speedy Pro is a great idea.  Its a classic and quite versatile.  For something a bit dressier if he doesn't mind a rectangular watch, you could consider a Cartier Tank Solo, Cartier Ronde Solo automatic on a strap, or if you can get about a 15% discount you might be able to get a Santos Galbee XL in steel...very versatile and classic design. 

post #23269 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Zippy, if I were CHRK, I would do my own homework and not take the advice of someone he doesn't know.  The guy on watchyouseek, could be 100% correct, but he could be wrong or things could have changed in the last 90 days. I previously advised him to check the restrictions as its been a while since I've looked at them.  I would imagine a gift that doesn't arrive due to customs seizure would put a serious damper on the giver's spirits at a time that should be fun and stress free.  

Oh yeah, no question would I advise him to base a decision like that on some dude's post in the interweb.
And especially not on my experience 10 years ago.

I could have sworn I read something about Cartier trying to get some similar grey market protection too.
post #23270 of 34021
Quote:
Cartier Ronde Solo automatic on a strap,

Didn't even know they did that one in an automatic version, Dino. I had seen the smaller, quartz iteration before.

The auto is 42mm, so pretty big for a true dress piece, but the proportions look decent to me. Big, bold Roman numerals with the interior 24-hr track. It does have a date window at 3 o'clock, but it fits the overall design fairly well. And personally, I'd keep it on a black strap rather than my oft-recommended brown croc.

Now, I do wonder what the "Self-winding mechanical movement with caliber Cartier 049" is, exactly?

Anyway around it, both this one, and the Tank Solo automatic in stainless can be purchased direct from the cartier.us website for about $3500. You could do a whole lot worse for the money, as they say.
post #23271 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Shouldn't someone make the obligatory Speedmaster recommendation?
Okay, I guess it's my turn.
CHRK: Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Very thoughtful of you to consider a nice watch-gift for your father......how's about a 3570.50?

superb idea with the speedy!

CHRK - are you open to buying online from reputable non-dealers, or ADs only? if the former, your price range will get you a good deal more options. personal decision there though.

there is a lot to choose from, from breitling, in that price range. i quite like the superocean heritage and the transocean day-date in that range.

if you want to go to a less talked about brand, some of the Ulysse Nardin big date watches have an MSRP around 6k, i imagine you could find discounts on that to bring it close to your range, if not right into it.
post #23272 of 34021
Here I think the speedy is a fantastic idea. Your dad will appreciate the history, the price point is exactly where you want to be and you don't have to worry about that import headache as with the Tudor.

I also like some of those Breitlings. Very nice indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

superb idea with the speedy!

CHRK - are you open to buying online from reputable non-dealers, or ADs only? if the former, your price range will get you a good deal more options. personal decision there though.

there is a lot to choose from, from breitling, in that price range. i quite like the superocean heritage and the transocean day-date in that range.

if you want to go to a less talked about brand, some of the Ulysse Nardin big date watches have an MSRP around 6k, i imagine you could find discounts on that to bring it close to your range, if not right into it.
post #23273 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

I could have sworn I read something about Cartier trying to get some similar grey market protection too.

Rolex and Cartier have both done a lot to try to control the gray market and discounting.  Within the last 5 years each has closed out accounts with literally hundreds of former long term ADs, in an effort to reduce purchasing options, and keep merchandise from going out the back door of smaller places, while opening more boutique where there are no discounts and no middle men that need to make a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Didn't even know they did that one in an automatic version, Dino. I had seen the smaller, quartz iteration before.

The auto is 42mm, so pretty big for a true dress piece, but the proportions look decent to me. Big, bold Roman numerals with the interior 24-hr track. It does have a date window at 3 o'clock, but it fits the overall design fairly well. And personally, I'd keep it on a black strap rather than my oft-recommended brown croc.

 


Now, I do wonder what the "Self-winding mechanical movement with caliber Cartier 049" is, exactly?

Anyway around it, both this one, and the Tank Solo automatic in stainless can be purchased direct from the cartier.us website for about $3500. You could do a whole lot worse for the money, as they say.

Cal 049 is based on ETA 2892A2.  While these ETA powered watches are far from their top of the line, one still gets really good quality, classic designs, and a reasonable price.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


if you want to go to a less talked about brand, some of the Ulysse Nardin big date watches have an MSRP around 6k, i imagine you could find discounts on that to bring it close to your range, if not right into it.

Hate to say it, maybe just from friends' personal experiences, I'd stay away from UN.  Some years ago a friend bought rather simple model (brand new from an AD), and had it go back and forth to their service center 3 times in the first 18 months of ownership.  They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, but it wouldn't keep time and or it would die. My friend bought it looking for something different from the more commonly seen Rolex DJs.  My friend eventually said he was never so sorry with a purchase and wished he had done what everyone else at work did and bought a DJ.  Another friend that worked at a former UN dealer said they had one come back with problems.  When they opened it, they noticed some quality issues for which it never should have left the factory (at the moment it escapes me what they were...but it wasn't good).  For all I know these are the only people that have every witnessed serious issues with that brand, but for me these issues are such that its a brand I wouldn't go near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Here I think the speedy is a fantastic idea. Your dad will appreciate the history, the price point is exactly where you want to be and you don't have to worry about that import headache as with the Tudor.

+1.  I like the Speedy idea too.

 

Although, I guess the one thing to consider is his Dad's age and eye sight and if it will be too tough for him to read.  I have a few collector friends that don't buy chronographs anymore because at their ages they find the dials/sub dials really tough to read.

post #23274 of 34021
Quote:
Cal 049 is based on ETA 2892A2. While these ETA powered watches are far from their top of the line, one still gets really good quality, classic designs, and a reasonable price.

Was being a bit cheeky....my Roadster actually runs on the 3110, essentially the same ETA base. Uber-high horology LOL.

Keeps great time though!



I'll throw out one more $5K idea....Baume and Mercier Clifton:

http://www.baume-et-mercier.com/en-us/clifton-10055.html

Moon phase, pointer date, etc....also available direct from manufacturer online using this link.

We've discussed the brand here not too long ago and I think this is a decent example of how they're trying to get back their mojo.
post #23275 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hate to say it, maybe just from friends' personal experiences, I'd stay away from UN.   Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Some years ago a friend bought rather simple model (brand new from an AD), and had it go back and forth to their service center 3 times in the first 18 months of ownership.  They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, but it wouldn't keep time and or it would die. My friend bought it looking for something different from the more commonly seen Rolex DJs.  My friend eventually said he was never so sorry with a purchase and wished he had done what everyone else at work did and bought a DJ.  Another friend that worked at a former UN dealer said they had one come back with problems.  When they opened it, they noticed some quality issues for which it never should have left the factory (at the moment it escapes me what they were...but it wasn't good).  For all I know these are the only people that have every witnessed serious issues with that brand, but for me these issues are such that its a brand I wouldn't go near.

that is a shame. i have never handled one, but they make some very nice pieces.
post #23276 of 34021
Just bought a Speedmaster. Got it on Ebay, with box and papers.

Never had an Omega before. Been looking for a nice blue-dial, leather banded speedy for a while.

Hope I like it.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTI1YTAzMzcwNGY2Y2UyMGQyZTEzMjA1MWQzNjdiNDdkYzBkfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1zYW10YW1ib3x8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9Ny8xNi8xMyAxMTo0NSBBTQ==
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTE1YTAyYTEwNTFiNDhjNTkxOWQ2NDA1MWQzNjdhZWVhYjllfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1zYW10YW1ib3x8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9Ny8yLzEzIDQ6NTcgUE0=
post #23277 of 34021
Congrats, kai. Great pick up!!
post #23278 of 34021
Thanks for your feedback.

Closed a deal after one month of going back and forth, decided to stroll down to the Longines Boutique on Pitt Street, got myself a Longines Master Collection Retrograde Moon Phases, will wait for delivery from Melbourne this week, can't wait!
post #23279 of 34021
Congrats to both Kai and Wurger!

Looking forward to seeing pics Wurg!
post #23280 of 34021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Congrats to both Kai and Wurger!

Looking forward to seeing pics Wurg!

When I asked about moon phases, I never would have thought I would own a watch with it.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread