or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1479

post #22171 of 39050
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Stitchy, yeah, if you felt that the 5159 wore small for you, the 3970s at 36mm would probably feel even smaller.

its ok, i know what my grail patek is, and i think the size is just right.
post #22172 of 39050

Do tell...

post #22173 of 39050
well, my ultimate grail is a tourbillon, repeater, perp cal, moon phase, split seconds chrono, done tastefully. also, i prefer the tourb exposed from the dial side.

the 5207 is damn close to what i want and its also beautiful. anyone wanna get this for me? my birthday is in may so you have plenty of lead time.



post #22174 of 39050

Haha.  That is unquestionably special.  But I'm not sure it's super-beautiful.  OK, a bit super-beautiful. I'd take it for my birthday, too.

 

It's a pity your grail isn't a VC instead.  It seems you need something like a "Vladimir"...

 

post #22175 of 39050
Grail watches.. I may not have spent enough time researching watches I can never afford but I'd be ok with this...

Harry Winston Midnight Minute Repeater in white gold.

post #22176 of 39050
Nothing as fancy as a minute repeater or a tourbillon, but the unboxing of my latest...









post #22177 of 39050
^^ supremely cool ^^

mimo, the dial layout on the VC is not bad, the small arabic numbers seem silly to me. i think the PP is far better tho, and the case engravings on the VC are atrocious imo.
post #22178 of 39050

Man, that was a million wasted....I'll send it right back.

 

(Scott, I really really like that a lot - is the cost confidential?)

post #22179 of 39050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

(Scott, I really really like that a lot - is the cost confidential?)

I picked it up from the first owner for $700. Not bad for a watch that listed for $1800.
post #22180 of 39050

Even at $1800 list price, I know it's a generic movement, but it's got a real individuality about it without being at all frivolous (Graham, take note!).  I think it's gorgeous and you got a real bargain - well done!

post #22181 of 39050
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw View Post

Nothing as fancy as a minute repeater or a tourbillon, but the unboxing of my latest...

Scott, looks great!  Congrats and I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

^^ supremely cool ^^

mimo, the dial layout on the VC is not bad, the small arabic numbers seem silly to me. i think the PP is far better tho, and the case engravings on the VC are atrocious imo.

I often favor VC, I like the dial in this one, even with Arabic numbers, but the case side engraving make me want to puke!  IMHO, the case engraving ruins this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

well, my ultimate grail is a tourbillon, repeater, perp cal, moon phase, split seconds chrono, done tastefully. also, i prefer the tourb exposed from the dial side.

the 5207 is damn close to what i want and its also beautiful. anyone wanna get this for me? my birthday is in may so you have plenty of lead time

I would have gotten you a PP, but you picked the wrong one so no deal !  wink.gif  I'm not a fan of the dial color, but for me, the deal breaker is the windows all around the dial.  I didn't care for them on some of the recent the annual calendars, IMHO it lacks a certain elegance that one usually sees with Pateks.  Maybe its the metal out lines around the windows for day, date, month, maybe they just seem too pronounced.  I generally prefer subdials for perpetual calendars, although simple windows as used on vintage Patek perpetuals of the past would be my second choice.  This one I like the engraving on the side of the case and slide but I just don't love the rest of the watch. 

post #22182 of 39050

I do have a thing for the Germans.  But not necessarily the top of the price range - the Tourbograph is awesome, but I think I'd be very happy with this: I do like the combination of perpetual calendar and chrono.  The tourbillon's a novelty, but would I really ever leave the house with a $500k watch?  I think I would actually want to wear this instead of guard it with a shotgun, even at $150k-ish.

 

 

 

 

 

Of course a Patek 5004 or a Breguet minute repeater or an AP tourbillon or any number of others would be right up there.  But I think that is then the point: I don't have a collection to speak of.  And rather than one watch for hundreds of thousands, if I had to spend the price of a house on watches, I think I'd rather have a few.  And even though Dino doesn't like it (!), a used Langematik Perpetual for about $50k would be almost as good for my personal joy.  After that, the returns diminish very quickly, so I'll take that, an up-down Datograph with stick markers, and a Lange 1 Time Zone, all in platinum.  And still have change from the one above for a plain black no-date Submariner, a few scratches not a problem...

post #22183 of 39050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I would have gotten you a PP, but you picked the wrong one so no deal ! wink.gif

I'm not a fan of the dial color, but for me, the deal breaker is the windows all around the dial.  I didn't care for them on some of the recent the annual calendars, IMHO it lacks a certain elegance that one usually sees with Pateks.  Maybe its the metal out lines around the windows for day, date, month, maybe they just seem too pronounced.  I generally prefer subdials for perpetual calendars, although simple windows as used on vintage Patek perpetuals of the past would be my second choice.  This one I like the engraving on the side of the case and slide but I just don't love the rest of the watch. 

interesting. i quite like the windows on the 5207. particularly the symmetry. different strokes i guess. odd because we are so often on the same page. frown.gif
post #22184 of 39050
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw View Post

Nothing as fancy as a minute repeater or a tourbillon, but the unboxing of my latest...


 

VERY nice - congrats!

post #22185 of 39050
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw View Post

Nothing as fancy as a minute repeater or a tourbillon, but the unboxing of my latest...









New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread