or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1471

post #22051 of 35553
I just wanted to thank Dino, Frills, and In Stitches (and others) for always dropping knowledge and beautiful aspirational photos in this thread. Truly exemplary.

Just a meager contribution of my Reverso at the end of a deposition I just defended - I would say it brought me luck as the CEO didn't submarine our case. (Please excuse the iphobe pic)

post #22052 of 35553
glad you enjoy!

that is a beautiful watch, and needs to be seen in more detail. if i may....


post #22053 of 35553
In stitches, much much better. Really appreciate it.

I have ordered a custom brown gator strap from Camille Fournet for it and have been waiting 6 months for it. But the Fagliano strap is really nice but I imagine more casual looking.
post #22054 of 35553
Wowzers. That is absolutely stunning. One of my favorite Reversos. Still not sure I am completely sold on the Casa Fagliano strap, but it is still a stunning watch. I can't wait to see the strap that CF makes up for you.
post #22055 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

In stitches, much much better. Really appreciate it.
I have ordered a custom brown gator strap from Camille Fournet for it and have been waiting 6 months for it. But the Fagliano strap is really nice but I imagine more casual looking.

happy to assist. smile.gif

look forward to seeing the new strap.
post #22056 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

I just wanted to thank Dino, Frills, and In Stitches (and others) for always dropping knowledge and beautiful aspirational photos in this thread. Truly exemplary.

Just a meager contribution of my Reverso at the end of a deposition I just defended - I would say it brought me luck as the CEO didn't submarine our case. (Please excuse the iphobe pic)


Great looking watch.. I've become a huge Reverso fan from this forum.
post #22057 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

glad you enjoy!

that is a beautiful watch, and needs to be seen in more detail. if i may....



Great watch -- really love your dial/hands too. Will look great on that strap!
post #22058 of 35553
just came across this on tumblr. JLC for TDKR. interesting.

post #22059 of 35553
Ha yeah I saw that when it came out... Just Richemont being Richemont. A pity.

Related to the general discussion--for some reason or another I really want a Shinola. I know it is silly... but I really, really want one.
post #22060 of 35553
Yeah, product placement... mehhhhhhh.

I found that collab a little less than inspiring. Another more effective example of JLC product placement was with Adrien Brody in The Pianist - from the first 2 minutes of the show:

post #22061 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Ha yeah I saw that when it came out... Just Richemont being Richemont. A pity.

 

ffffuuuu.gif

 

Related to the general discussion--for some reason or another I really want a Shinola. I know it is silly... but I really, really want one.

 

I looked it up - new to me.  I get it, and I love the idea.  But, where's the confidence in what they're doing?  Or is it just that they are determined to be "accessible" price-wise?  And if so, is that really the future of manufacturing in developed economies, to try to compete at the lower-middle end?

 

It seems to me they are mixing two things, wrongly.  Either make a novelty quartz watch with individual, hopefully iconic style, from cheaper materials, and hope the story can sell it widely and make it a fashion.  Or make something more serious with a slightly-altered ebauche mechanical movement for, say $1200, and hope that not only can the story sell it, but it can hold its own as a competitive product.  I just can't see a $500 quartz watch being either cheap enough for the buyer who doesn't care about the movement, or "real" enough for the one who does.

 

So, yeah, it's silly.  But if you want one, maybe they're right and I'm completely off track here!

 

Taking away the patriotic American angle (I'm neither), I can see the appeal both of the story and of the aesthetic, nevertheless.  But I'm not buying a $500 watch with a Chinese quartz ticker.

post #22062 of 35553
well - they have the marketing power of Barney's behind them right now, which is huge. I tend to agree with most of what you're saying, but Barney's buyers basically MAKE taste, so...

It seems from their other offerings that Shinola makes a lot of leather. Some of those leather natos look like great straps, as do the steel mesh. Maybe their value is in making straps ultimately.

I do kind of like the look of this square cushion/round face PAM homage.

http://www.barneys.com/Shinola-The-Brakeman-42mm-With-Alligator-Strap/00505029608331,default,pd.html?cgid=shinola-detroit&index=39

You have to look inside to know if it's Shit or Shinola rimshot.gif
post #22063 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

...

For me it really is not as much about the watch as it is about the story and what I hope is the future. This is just personal opinion, but I think that America needs to return to churning out 'artisans.' We need watchmakers, shoe makers, clothes makers, etc. This is what Shinola is selling, and if I have to subsidize this future, well, I almost think of it as something of a donation. I know it is probably just marketing mumbo jumbo. But the only way I can tell the market that we need more domestically produced watches is to buy the domestically produced watches that crop up.

I agree with you that the price point is kind of crazy. Especially when they say, stupidly, that this is an heirloom watch (read: absurd). But this may be the price of owning a product made by an American company, at least when I am sure their overhead is through the roof. As they become more integrated, hopefully we will start to see new movements, more hand assembly, more hand finishing, etc.

I think that my brain is on your side, but my heart is on the other side smile.gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

...

I really do like the PAM homage. Some of the funky Runwells are pretty neat too. This would just be a fun watch to bomb around in. And yes, I see your point about the straps--as a value proposition, let me just do the following calculation:
  • We have a horween strap, which retails for around $150
  • We have a domed sapphire crystal
  • A nicely designed case
  • Hand assembled in America
  • A reliable quartz movement

I mean, $200 for this watch would have been a steal. Although I think the price is high, I do not necessarily see it as exorbitantly high. I am not sure if I am going to buy one, but I am a huge believer in their cause.

They are lucky some of us are too young to have heard that saying smile.gif.
post #22064 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

For me it really is not as much about the watch as it is about the story and what I hope is the future. This is just personal opinion, but I think that America needs to return to churning out 'artisans.' We need watchmakers, shoe makers, clothes makers, etc. This is what Shinola is selling, and if I have to subsidize this future, well, I almost think of it as something of a donation. I know it is probably just marketing mumbo jumbo. But the only way I can tell the market that we need more domestically produced watches is to buy the domestically produced watches that crop up.

I agree with you that the price point is kind of crazy. Especially when they say, stupidly, that this is an heirloom watch (read: absurd). But this may be the price of owning a product made by an American company, at least when I am sure their overhead is through the roof. As they become more integrated, hopefully we will start to see new movements, more hand assembly, more hand finishing, etc.

I think that my brain is on your side, but my heart is on the other side smile.gif.
I really do like the PAM homage. Some of the funky Runwells are pretty neat too. This would just be a fun watch to bomb around in. And yes, I see your point about the straps--as a value proposition, let me just do the following calculation:
  • We have a horween strap, which retails for around $150
  • We have a domed sapphire crystal
  • A nicely designed case
  • Hand assembled in America
  • A reliable quartz movement

I mean, $200 for this watch would have been a steal. Although I think the price is high, I do not necessarily see it as exorbitantly high. I am not sure if I am going to buy one, but I am a huge believer in their cause.

They are lucky some of us are too young to have heard that saying smile.gif.

I believe they all sold out. Expert marketing by Shinola. I don't think they were made to appeal to the typical watch enthusiast anyway, just the masses that would not spend more than $500 on a watch.

PS, it looks pretty similar to the Hamilton Khaki for the same price.
post #22065 of 35553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

I do kind of like the look of this square cushion/round face PAM homage.
 

 

Lazy, and cheapening.  Sure, make the shape, but I wish they'd made it their own.  Looking like a fake-something-else is no way to build a brand IMO.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


For me it really is not as much about the watch as it is about the story and what I hope is the future. This is just personal opinion, but I think that America needs to return to churning out 'artisans.'

 

calculation:

  • We have a horween strap, which retails for around $150
  • We have a domed sapphire crystal
  • A nicely designed case
  • Hand assembled in America
  • A reliable quartz movement

I mean, $200 for this watch would have been a steal. Although I think the price is high, I do not necessarily see it as exorbitantly high. I am not sure if I am going to buy one, but I am a huge believer in their cause.
 

 

I get the story, the cause, and the objective, and I think it's something that resonates in any post-industrial economy, especially with the current global stagnation and the fashion for everything traditional and hand-made.  But that's really my point: what is "artisanal" about copying Panerai cases or buying quartz movements from Asia?  Or a $500 watch at all?  And your "value proposition", although perfectly accurate, makes the point too: why make a high quality package for a mickey mouse movement?

 

I really buy into what they're trying to achieve, and if I'm fair, I suppose this is only a part of their project.  I just find it a pity that it doesn't have just that extra notch of design and functional integrity, as the first building block for this part of the business.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post


I believe they all sold out. Expert marketing by Shinola. I don't think they were made to appeal to the typical watch enthusiast anyway, just the masses that would not spend more than $500 on a watch.
 

 

Yes to all that.  And the marketing even works for me.  I just can't love the product, or believe it couldn't have been better for the money.  If Tissot can tinker with an ebauche ETA movement and bang out a $400 automatic, this just feels like aiming a bit low.  

 

Anyway, rant over.  I wish the whole project success anyway, because the fundamental business idea pleases me very much.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread