or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1465

post #21961 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Forgive my ignorance; is that a custom order from Richard Murphy?  It looks wonderful.  And as a seguet from the previous subject, great strap choice!

It's a watch RGM did for the Equation of Time website. It is based on a Hamilton deck watch from the 40s. It is no longer available.

Read more about it here - http://www.justmywatches.com/private/watches/22/22review.htm
post #21962 of 38531
I meant to say this earlier Scott--I really appreciate your presence on this thread. You are one of the only ones here that has the stones to order watches from the much less usual suspects. Keep up the good work smile.gif.
post #21963 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

I meant to say this earlier Scott--I really appreciate your presence on this thread. You are one of the only ones here that has the stones to order watches from the much less usual suspects. Keep up the good work smile.gif.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have a hard time getting excited about giving my money to large companies that won't notice whether I buy or not.

This one is used, but I figured it is an inexpensive way to add a 2nd independent.
post #21964 of 38531

Dear Horological Lords,

 

My soon-to-be-testicles-owner is insistent on buying me a watch when we get engaged. I've been lusting after the Nomos Tangente Glasboden for a very long time, and even tortured myself by trying it on in person while in Europe, only to not buy it! I've been kicking myself ever since. It's beautiful and it fit my wrist absolutely perfectly. 

 

Catch is she wants some form of discrete personalisation to it. Nothing tacky, perhaps just initials or our engagement date. Just something to make it a touch more personal. 

 

She's not going to touch the watch itself (we aren't retards), but she's thinking more about engraving the underside of the clasp, or perhaps embossing the underside of the cordovan strap. 

 

Where would be best to get this done? Is this at all possible? Will I have to order a custom clasp to get this done properly?

Thanks all in advance - I look forward to joining your esteemed ranks!

Cheers,

 

Alex

post #21965 of 38531

Well, the strap comes and goes. Even if it's cordovan, it will wear off, eventually. So embossing it doesn't sound like a good idea.
 

 If it's a "glasboden" you want, there will be not much space to do it on the back, like it's usually done.

 

 So you have the side of the case, or a generic clasp- that you can buy cheap.

 

 If you're sure that the girl and the watch are both keepers, do it on the side- opposed to the crown. If not, the clasp.

post #21966 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazimir View Post

Well, the strap comes and goes. Even if it's cordovan, it will wear off, eventually. So embossing it doesn't sound like a good idea.
 

 If it's a "glasboden" you want, there will be not much space to do it on the back, like it's usually done.

 

 So you have the side of the case, or a generic clasp- that you can buy cheap.

 

 If you're sure that the girl and the watch are both keepers, do it on the side- opposed to the crown. If not, the clasp.

 

One will probably outlast the other, if german engineering is to believed! Haha

 

I definitely want the sapphire back. That's non-negotiable. 

 

As for getting it engraved on the opposing side to the crown - would a proper high-end watch repairer (not a stall at a mall place) be able to do this, or is this something I would have to send away either to Nomos or someone similar for? 

Cheers for the response, and welcome to SF foo.gif

post #21967 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw View Post

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have a hard time getting excited about giving my money to large companies that won't notice whether I buy or not.

This one is used, but I figured it is an inexpensive way to add a 2nd independent.

This is a good point, and one that I find interesting when surveying StyleForum.

When talking about clothing, there's a definite tendency on SF to value or prize small, independent clothing manufacturers over big firms - hence the appeal of places like Vanda in Singapore, Panta, Howard Yount and Yellow Hook in NY and, of course, a whole range of places in various towns and cities in Italy.

However, when it comes to watches, much of SF has a definite tendency to prefer watch companies that are often owned by large conglomerates such as Swatch, Richemont or LVMH, rather than watches from small, independent ateliers.

Of course, that is a generalisation, but I nonetheless find it quite striking that a lot of people on SF are willing to go to great lengths to try small, often out of the way places so as to get a jacket, suit or tie and to then proudly show their wares to others on SF (not that there's anything wrong with that - I do it, too!), but then with watches, to stick to brands like Omega, Panerai, JLC, Zenith and so on, which are all owned by one or the other aforementioned conglomerates.
post #21968 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post

One will probably outlast the other, if german engineering is to believed! Haha

I definitely want the sapphire back. That's non-negotiable. 

As for getting it engraved on the opposing side to the crown - would a proper high-end watch repairer (not a stall at a mall place) be able to do this, or is this something I would have to send away either to Nomos or someone similar for? 


Cheers for the response, and welcome to SF foo.gif

Congrats and wishing you all the best. Sorry but I'm not a fan of engraving watches for any reason. However if you must do it, don't do it on the side of the case. That's a poor choice IMHO. Either have it discreetly done on the case back or I suppose the clasp might work. Although I'd probably prefer an embossed strap, it does the trick without permanently marking the watch case. If the strap wears out, you can order a new one in different color or skins and have those embossed when the time comes.

If you must engrave the actual watch I'd contact the manufacturer about it before going aftermarket. Or if you want something unique contact J. C. Randell (sp?). He is highly recommended by JLC and does amazing work...although he is quite pricey. Then again you get what you pay for (don't have someone at the mall do it). Congrats again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

However, when it comes to watches, much of SF has a definite tendency to prefer watch companies that are often owned by large conglomerates such as Swatch, Richemont or LVMH, rather than watches from small, independent ateliers.

Of course, that is a generalisation, but I nonetheless find it quite striking that a lot of people on SF are willing to go to great lengths to try small, often out of the way places so as to get a jacket, suit or tie and to then proudly show their wares to others on SF (not that there's anything wrong with that - I do it, too!), but then with watches, to stick to brands like Omega, Panerai, JLC, Zenith and so on, which are all owned by one or the other aforementioned conglomerates.

Everyone is different, so other SFer's preferences may differ greatly. However, I buy watches I like based on movement, originality, design, history (of the company & historical significance in the world of horology). The fact that a larger company owns the brand is not a concern and in many ways is an advantage. It often guarantees parts availability, distribution chains, and that its a brand that will continue to survive, and that one will always be able to get the watch you choose serviced.

A friend bought a watch several years ago from a small brand with poor distribution and limited parts availability. He cracked the bezel, and can't get a new bezel. So he is stuck with a damaged watch.

In addition, while some independents make many or most parts themselves, some are still dependent on outside sources for various components. A friend who bought a $130,000 tourbillon from a small independent discovered that when he want to have certain things customized.

The other issue is resale. If you know it's a keeper, great. However, later on some people, decide to sell or trade watches for a variety of reasons. Watches from major companies tend to be far better known, have a stronger following, good auction histories that can be followed, and much better resale than independents or lesser known brands. I'm even aware of a few watch places that will only buy Patek, Lange, AP, VC, Rolex and Cartier due to their strong customer bases and collectibility. These stores won't even consider anything from Zenith, Blancpain, Omega, Breguet and several other really highly respected brands ( they even told my friend they had no interest in his limited edition platinum JLC Master 8 Day Reserve). I'm sure independents would also be turned away.

A preowned Tourbillon from Patek, AP, Lange, or VC will always be worth a lot of money and collectors will chase after them. My friend's $130K Tourbillon from a small independent, I bet would take along time to find a buyer, and struggle to find any one that would would pay more say $35k, because its so obscure, demand is relatively low. The same watch from a well know and respected brand could easily sell fro 2-3 times as much.

Independents can be great. They provide interesting concepts, exclusivity, customization, and can make you feel like you really mean something to them. However they often have some serious disadvantages .

As for comparing them to preferring clothing from small clothing companies.. That's different in that one rarely considers resale value, service centers or parts for used clothing.

If someone likes buying independents that's great, as long as the reconize doing so can have disadvantages.

In the end everyone has to decide what will make them happy , whether its a watch from and independent or a watch from a better known company under the umbrella of a bigger company.
post #21969 of 38531
i never NEVER decide what watch i like or dont like based on who owns the company. all the manufactures that we speak off were at one point independents themselves. over the years they were bought out so that their tradition could persevere with capital needed to forge ahead into the future. there is a reason a manufacture gets bought by a conglomerate. consistent production of good looking quality watches with a history.

i like what i like based on looks and movement, thats it. ownership means nothing to me. happens to be, that many of the watches i like are made by brands that are owned by conglomerates. there are plenty of fine looking indi watches out there, but for me, many of them just seem a tad off in some way in their aesthetic. often a quirk that does not appeal to me. but it has nothing to do with the fact that the brand isnt owned by a conglomerate.

in other news, i spent the day in NYC and did some watch trying on/oogling. more info and pics tomorrow. smile.gif
post #21970 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post

Dear Horological Lords,

My soon-to-be-testicles-owner is insistent on buying me a watch when we get engaged. I've been lusting after the Nomos Tangente Glasboden for a very long time, and even tortured myself by trying it on in person while in Europe, only to not buy it! I've been kicking myself ever since. It's beautiful and it fit my wrist absolutely perfectly. 

Catch is she wants some form of discrete personalisation to it. Nothing tacky, perhaps just initials or our engagement date. Just something to make it a touch more personal. 


She's not going to touch the watch itself (we aren't retards), but she's thinking more about engraving the underside of the clasp, or perhaps embossing the underside of the cordovan strap. 

Where would be best to get this done? Is this at all possible? Will I have to order a custom clasp to get this done properly?


Thanks all in advance - I look forward to joining your esteemed ranks!


Cheers,

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazimir View Post

Well, the strap comes and goes. Even if it's cordovan, it will wear off, eventually. So embossing it doesn't sound like a good idea.

 
 If it's a "glasboden" you want, there will be not much space to do it on the back, like it's usually done.

 So you have the side of the case, or a generic clasp- that you can buy cheap.

 If you're sure that the girl and the watch are both keepers, do it on the side- opposed to the crown. If not, the clasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post

One will probably outlast the other, if german engineering is to believed! Haha

I definitely want the sapphire back. That's non-negotiable. 

As for getting it engraved on the opposing side to the crown - would a proper high-end watch repairer (not a stall at a mall place) be able to do this, or is this something I would have to send away either to Nomos or someone similar for? 


Cheers for the response, and welcome to SF foo.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Congrats and wishing you all the best. Sorry but I'm not a fan of engraving watches for any reason. However if you must do it, don't do it on the side of the case. That's a poor choice IMHO. Either have it discreetly done on the case back or I suppose the clasp might work. Although I'd probably prefer an embossed strap, it does the trick without permanently marking the watch case. If the strap wears out, you can order a new one in different color or skins and have those embossed when the time comes.

If you must engrave the actual watch I'd contact the manufacturer about it before going aftermarket. Or if you want something unique contact J. C. Randell (sp?). He is highly recommended by JLC and does amazing work...although he is quite pricey. Then again you get what you pay for (don't have someone at the mall do it). Congrats again.
Everyone is different, so other SFer's preferences may differ greatly. However, I buy watches I like based on movement, originality, design, history (of the company & historical significance in the world of horology). The fact that a larger company owns the brand is not a concern and in many ways is an advantage. It often guarantees parts availability, distribution chains, and that its a brand that will continue to survive, and that one will always be able to get the watch you choose serviced.

A friend bought a watch several years ago from a small brand with poor distribution and limited parts availability. He cracked the bezel, and can't get a new bezel. So he is stuck with a damaged watch.

In addition, while some independents make many or most parts themselves, some are still dependent on outside sources for various components. A friend who bought a $130,000 tourbillon from a small independent discovered that when he want to have certain things customized.

The other issue is resale. If you know it's a keeper, great. However, later on some people, decide to sell or trade watches for a variety of reasons. Watches from major companies tend to be far better known, have a stronger following, good auction histories that can be followed, and much better resale than independents or lesser known brands. I'm even aware of a few watch places that will only buy Patek, Lange, AP, VC, Rolex and Cartier due to their strong customer bases and collectibility. These stores won't even consider anything from Zenith, Blancpain, Omega, Breguet and several other really highly respected brands ( they even told my friend they had no interest in his limited edition platinum JLC Master 8 Day Reserve). I'm sure independents would also be turned away.

A preowned Tourbillon from Patek, AP, Lange, or VC will always be worth a lot of money and collectors will chase after them. My friend's $130K Tourbillon from a small independent, I bet would take along time to find a buyer, and struggle to find any one that would would pay more say $35k, because its so obscure, demand is relatively low. The same watch from a well know and respected brand could easily sell fro 2-3 times as much.

Independents can be great. They provide interesting concepts, exclusivity, customization, and can make you feel like you really mean something to them. However they often have some serious disadvantages .

As for comparing them to preferring clothing from small clothing companies.. That's different in that one rarely considers resale value, service centers or parts for used clothing.

If someone likes buying independents that's great, as long as the reconize doing so can have disadvantages.

In the end everyone has to decide what will make them happy , whether its a watch from and independent or a watch from a better known company under the umbrella of a bigger company.

First off, Congrats on your recent engagement! Wonderful that your wife-to-be is acquainted with the tradition of the groom receiving a watch.

I was recently in a similar position to yours.

I agree with Dino. Get a brand name classic watch (Patek, Lange, AP, VC, Rolex and Cartier). I went Lange. Although, it seems the "Nomos Tangente Glasboden" is not in that price range. You might want to consider pricing up, if possible, or buying an estate piece / used. This is a special item, and you want it to last. I also agree with Dino - Do not alter the case or the buckle with inscriptions. If you must inscribe something, add it to the inner band (that is easily replaceable).

Best wishes on your new journey!
post #21971 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i never NEVER decide what watch i like or dont like based on who owns the company. all the manufactures that we speak off were at one point independents themselves. over the years they were bought out so that their tradition could persevere with capital needed to forge ahead into the future. there is a reason a manufacture gets bought by a conglomerate. consistent production of good looking quality watches with a history.

i like what i like based on looks and movement, thats it. ownership means nothing to me. happens to be, that many of the watches i like are made by brands that are owned by conglomerates. there are plenty of fine looking indi watches out there, but for me, many of them just seem a tad off in some way in their aesthetic. often a quirk that does not appeal to me. but it has nothing to do with the fact that the brand isnt owned by a conglomerate.

in other news, i spent the day in NYC and did some watch trying on/oogling. more info and pics tomorrow. smile.gif
any buying?
post #21972 of 38531
The entry price points for indie ateliers can be pretty high IMO, at least for the ones where you wouldn't have to sacrifice quality relative to the brands you listed. A lot easier to justify taking a bit of a risk with a shirt or a pair of pants, at least for me. I'd love to get into indies down the road though. I think Audemars and Patek are still independently owned, too.
post #21973 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

any buying?

noap frown.gif
post #21974 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post


Congrats and wishing you all the best. Sorry but I'm not a fan of engraving watches for any reason. However if you must do it, don't do it on the side of the case. That's a poor choice IMHO. Either have it discreetly done on the case back or I suppose the clasp might work. Although I'd probably prefer an embossed strap, it does the trick without permanently marking the watch case. If the strap wears out, you can order a new one in different color or skins and have those embossed when the time comes.

If you must engrave the actual watch I'd contact the manufacturer about it before going aftermarket. Or if you want something unique contact J. C. Randell (sp?). He is highly recommended by JLC and does amazing work...although he is quite pricey. Then again you get what you pay for (don't have someone at the mall do it). Congrats again.

 

Embossing the strap does seem a less permanent solution to personalising. 

 

I know JC Randell - outside of our budget I'm afraid. 

 

Thanks for the congrats! I'm very lucky!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

First off, Congrats on your recent engagement! Wonderful that your wife-to-be is acquainted with the tradition of the groom receiving a watch.

I was recently in a similar position to yours.

I agree with Dino. Get a brand name classic watch (Patek, Lange, AP, VC, Rolex and Cartier). I went Lange. Although, it seems the "Nomos Tangente Glasboden" is not in that price range. You might want to consider pricing up, if possible, or buying an estate piece / used. This is a special item, and you want it to last. I also agree with Dino - Do not alter the case or the buckle with inscriptions. If you must inscribe something, add it to the inner band (that is easily replaceable).

Best wishes on your new journey!

 

Cheers for the congrats. She's wonderful; I'm very happy. She's definitely marrying beneath herself. Her loss! Haha.

 

Nomos isn't in the price range of Patek (her old man wears a 20k+ Patek that is lovely, but is waaaay outside of our price range), and for the money, I can't find any minimal dress watches with equally as good movement. Basically Patek, Lange, etc are outside of our price range. We're only young, starting out - not have more than $2k to drop on a watch. 

 

I'd prefer not to buy used, especially unseen. The second hand watch market in Australia is non-existent compared to the northern hemisphere, which really limits me.

 

I know Nomos isn't as big name as the other brands mentioned, but I think it provides a fantastic watch for the price point. I can't find anything similar in design for the money, and I've actually handed it and was very impressed. I tried on other watches of similar style, and didn't think that they commanded the price difference - especially for an entry level dress watch. 

 

Thanks for the post. Much appreciated!

post #21975 of 38531
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm4114 View Post

The entry price points for indie ateliers can be pretty high IMO, at least for the ones where you wouldn't have to sacrifice quality relative to the brands you listed. A lot easier to justify taking a bit of a risk with a shirt or a pair of pants, at least for me. I'd love to get into indies down the road though. I think Audemars and Patek are still independently owned, too.

As is Rolex, too, interestingly enough.

I definitely agree that it can be expensive to buy a good "indie" watch, but so also can getting good clothes from a small atelier.

I know it's a generalisation, but it is nonetheless interesting to see how some on SF fetishize the purchasing of clothing from small, independent ateliers and pay many thousands of dollars for the privilege (plus having to wait for a very long time to receive the clothing, in some cases), but when it comes to watches, they stick firmly to tried-and-true, large and well-known brands.

Of course, I do understand that watches are not precisely the same as clothes and I certainly take Dino's point that it can be much easier to get parts for watches from large companies, and that resale value is also much more consistent. People are much more likely to resell a watch than a pair of Ambrosi trousers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread