or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1425

post #21361 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Congratulations.  Yes, must be careful of slippery slopes......

spoken like a man with experience in the subject. smile.gif
post #21362 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


spoken like a man with experience in the subject. smile.gif

 

You know it. Sample introduction to my 12-step program: Hi, my name is Frilly. And I haven't made a single watch purchase in five weeks.
post #21363 of 35996
5 weeks!!! wow, that must be some kind of record!!! wink.gif
post #21364 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I like your chosen colour scheme, Scott.  Congratulations!  Seems they don't charge any extra for choosing your own combination of colours?  Anyway, you chose well I think!  I don't know how long it would take to get used to reading that date, though.  Personally, I'm rather drawn to the moonphase. smile.gif

There is no charge for customizing colors unless you want gold hands or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post


I think the counter clockwise day and month would really screw with me for a while as well. And while I find the designs of OuJ interesting, I'm not sure I find them practical (but I guess after a while you adjust). Though I will say I do find myself checking out the moonphase quite often as well. That said, it would be well down on my list of watches as this would be more of a fun watch and I'm not sure how much wrist time it would actually see for me.

This is exactly why I wanted an OuJ. Everything else I was looking at was too staid and serious. Style should be fun, no?
Edited by scottcw - 5/29/13 at 10:17am
post #21365 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw View Post

This is exactly why I wanted an OuJ. Everything else I was looking at was too staid and serious. Style should be fun, no?

All that matters is that you'll like it and wear it. For me personally, it has several short comings that would reduce it's actual wear time, but that's just for me and should not be read as a criticism for what you like. There have been PP's posted in this thread that I would never choose even if I had all the money in the world. Different things speak to different people. OuJ's are certainly neat, and speak to me in a way, but I'm not sure I could ever truly see them sitting on my wrist that often in practice.

 

At the end of the day, if you are happy with the purchase, then that's all that matters (and it certainly seems like you are). I was simply offering up my opinion of the watch (something I like but not something I'm sure I'd ever consider owning). I'm glad you found something you like and hope you wear it in good health.

post #21366 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

All that matters is that you'll like it and wear it. For me personally, it has several short comings that would reduce it's actual wear time, but that's just for me and should not be read as a criticism for what you like. There have been PP's posted in this thread that I would never choose even if I had all the money in the world. Different things speak to different people. OuJ's are certainly neat, and speak to me in a way, but I'm not sure I could ever truly see them sitting on my wrist that often in practice.

At the end of the day, if you are happy with the purchase, then that's all that matters (and it certainly seems like you are). I was simply offering up my opinion of the watch (something I like but not something I'm sure I'd ever consider owning). I'm glad you found something you like and hope you wear it in good health.

It's all good, I didn't take your comments as criticism. All the different opinions in this thread helped me zero in on what was important to me.
post #21367 of 35996
nvm
post #21368 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post

I need a NATO strap for a sport Omega, could someone point me in the right direction. There are a ton of cheap imitations lurking around, where do you go for the good stuff? Many thanks, R.

I am interested in this also. Does anyone have recommendations?
post #21369 of 35996

Patek Philippe just unveiled the "most complicated wristwatch in the world" a few hours ago, the 6002:

 

 

Hodinkee blog post here:

 

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-patek-philippe-sky-moon-tourbillon-6002g

 

I think it's a work of art.  Can I ever see myself wearing it on my wrist, even if I could afford it?  No.  Thoughts?

post #21370 of 35996
That's pretty nuts.

File that under "straight to auction, then investor's safe thereafter" IMO.
post #21371 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw View Post

I am interested in this also. Does anyone have recommendations?

Not sure what the OP was after - there are no "real" or "imitation" NATOs, just differing standards of quality, like any other strap.

I can tell you what you want to look for in a NATO:

- quality steel hardware
- low profile hardware - so they're not swinging in the breeze and catching on things
- thicker fabric - thicker is better this time
- well finished edges, well made/finished tang holes
- and don't confuse NATO with ZULU straps! (Google this)

...and other things to consider include:

- small/tight vs bigger/looser weaves - will affect appearance and to a degree softness + durability (looser weaves are nicer to look at and more comfortable IMO, but don't do so well around the tang holes if not finished properly - they fray)
- brushed vs polished hardware
- stitched vs heat/ultrasonic welded - never had issues with either, mostly a looks thing I suspect
- length of the strap, length of the "doubled up" bit that goes under your watch, position of the "doubled up" bit - will affect how/where the watch sits on your wrist, and where the buckle sits... if you have a smaller wrist a longer NATO will look ridiculous with the buckle halfway up the side of your wrist instead of being at the bottom

I've had good luck with Maratac and Timefactors straps. Member Singular is a NATO seller as well, and the straps I've purchased from him are serviceable. Time Traveller sells an unusual kangaroo tail NATO which has IMO the nicest texture for a leather NATO.

Once in a while unusual "woven"/"braided" NATOs come up on eBay or from other vendors, and I snap them up when I see them because IMO they are the most comfortable and best looking NATOs... they usually only come in black though.
post #21372 of 35996
i think that PP is ugly as sin. the previous model sky moon tourbillon was lovely.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




post #21373 of 35996
Archie Luxury Lives.

Blech.
post #21374 of 35996
Situation report from last night: Sipping champagne, cooking birthday dinner for my better half, enjoying my nipple dialled Sub, taking cheesy pictures of it all.

1-DSC_6243_zps08575bfa.jpg
post #21375 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Patek Philippe just unveiled the "most complicated wristwatch in the world" a few hours ago, the 6002:

 

 

Hodinkee blog post here:

 

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-patek-philippe-sky-moon-tourbillon-6002g

 

I think it's a work of art.  Can I ever see myself wearing it on my wrist, even if I could afford it?  No.  Thoughts?

Sorry, but I'm just not very impressed with what to me appears to be modified Sky Moon Tourbillon.  Also the engraving all over the watch looks very cheesy and over stylized.  When something is so complicated I don't need the case to be over the top and tacky (actually I don't need anything that is tacky).  I'm sure someone will buy it as their are enough crazy collectors out there that will want a 1 off or very limited production piece, but that watch wouldn't remotely interest me.  I would rather have a few vintage Pateks that are probably less expensive but truly special and beautiful.  Vintage Pateks were meant to be worn, now these modern very rare pieces are just intended for publicity and eventually end up in someones safe.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i think that PP is ugly as sin. the previous model sky moon tourbillon was lovely.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Spot on Stitchy!!!  fistbump.gif  IMHO, this was a far more elegant and wearable watch.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Situation report from last night: Sipping champagne, cooking birthday dinner for my better half, enjoying my nipple dialled Sub, taking cheesy pictures of it all.

1-DSC_6243_zps08575bfa.jpg

Looks like a great evening.  Love the vintage gold Sub! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread