or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1355

post #20311 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaulet View Post

Spring is here! I put a NATO onto my '84 no date submariner.

 

Mike - very nice!

post #20312 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

The watch's value is whatever you are willing to pay for it. It is difficult to really give a 'price' to these kinds of watches, since they are not 'real.'

I would not buy it. Plus, did you see that this MONSTER is 48mm not including the crown? That will legitimately look like a dinner plate.

For a similar price, without the IWC name, you could pick up a Stowa. Aesthetically similar, except this is a 'real' wristwatch, from a company with its own heritage.


Except Stowa's have an obscene wait time - it'll be a while before it becomes available.
post #20313 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

Except Stowa's have an obscene wait time - it'll be a while before it becomes available.

What, like two months maybe? Not terrible. Still has kept me from ordering one though!

I really dig the black with Roman numerals. Maybe one day.

Also, beautiful Rolex, I dig it on the bond nato. My favorite nato strap I think!
post #20314 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

What, like two months maybe? Not terrible. Still has kept me from ordering one though!

I really dig the black with Roman numerals. Maybe one day.

Also, beautiful Rolex, I dig it on the bond nato. My favorite nato strap I think!

From what I gathered it was more along the lines of six months or so. Check out the Stowa forum on Watchuseek for more details. Part of the reason they command such good used sales value.
post #20315 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

From what I gathered it was more along the lines of six months or so. Check out the Stowa forum on Watchuseek for more details. Part of the reason they command such good used sales value.

uhoh.gif

That is an incredibly long time. I don't think I could handle that.
post #20316 of 36810
My wife bought me a Stowa as a gift, it arrived in roughly 3 months. I never understood people's impatience when they actually want something.
post #20317 of 36810
I waited something like 10 months for my Dorny. So painful.
post #20318 of 36810
Just checked - a Stowa Antea KS will be delivered in October. Damn.
post #20319 of 36810

There don't seem to be many Hamilton 992B watches posted in this thread, so here are my two.

 

  I've never had a wrist watch.  I've always worn a pocket watch.

post #20320 of 36810
dropped my speedmaster and it seems to be losing like 15 seconds per day. do you think there is damage to the movement and I should get it repaired under warranty? I also dented the damn case so I'm pretty sad frown.gif

AppleMark
post #20321 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaulet View Post

Spring is here! I put a NATO onto my '84 no date submariner.

Looks great for its age.  Enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post

There don't seem to be many Hamilton 992B watches posted in this thread, so here are my two.

 

  I've never had a wrist watch.  I've always worn a pocket watch.

Very cool.  Interesting that you've never had a wrist watch.  I don't recall any of the other "Usual suspects" here owning a pocket watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

dropped my speedmaster and it seems to be losing like 15 seconds per day. do you think there is damage to the movement and I should get it repaired under warranty? I also dented the damn case so I'm pretty sad frown.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

If it was keeping time perfectly before, you may have damaged something.  Depends on how high it was and what it fell on, but it must have been a good hit if it dented the case.  Not to make matters worse, but I don't think it will be covered under warranty.  Most manufacturers' warranties cover defects in workmanship, not customer mishaps (I've over heard AD's telling customers on more than one occasion that a dropped watch isn't covered under warranty.  Sorry I don't recall the brands it has involved).  In addition, I'll guess the dent in the side of the case is going to make the issue kind of obvious to an experienced watchmaker.  Hopefully, its nothing too serious.  Please keep us posted.  

post #20322 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by depechedior View Post

This is the epitome of why fine watches should not be polished!
There's nothing wrong with buying preowned or buying new. Things i'd buy preowned (of I could afford it): A bigger house. A Ferrari. A Patek. The Mona Lisa.

I lol'ed. Great PP btw. Nice to see you back. smile.gif
post #20323 of 36810
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

dropped my speedmaster and it seems to be losing like 15 seconds per day. do you think there is damage to the movement and I should get it repaired under warranty? I also dented the damn case so I'm pretty sad frown.gif

[IMG ALT="AppleMark"]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/787836/width/350/height/700[/ There's definitely something wrong with the movement that you need to get fixed. Doubtful that will be covered under warranty. I recently returned a Speedy that performed similarly. That indicates to me that the issue is hard to fix. I think I'll stay away from Speedmasters from now on.
post #20324 of 36810
I'd take that Stowa over this IWC Frankenwatch monstrosity any day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

The watch's value is whatever you are willing to pay for it. It is difficult to really give a 'price' to these kinds of watches, since they are not 'real.'

I would not buy it. Plus, did you see that this MONSTER is 48mm not including the crown? That will legitimately look like a dinner plate.

For a similar price, without the IWC name, you could pick up a Stowa. Aesthetically similar, except this is a 'real' wristwatch, from a company with its own heritage.

post #20325 of 36810
Enough of the "haute horlogerie". Bring on the vintage. nod[1].gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread