or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1347

post #20191 of 39264
[first ever double post]
post #20192 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

I am a sucker for blue. Not that ugly baby blue that was on the Rolex day-date but man blue. 90% of my suits are blue, my Dorny has a blue face etc.

blue is a great color. including the ice blue day-date. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

[first ever double post]

mazal tov!
post #20193 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

I am a sucker for blue. Not that ugly baby blue that was on the Rolex day-date but man blue. 90% of my suits are blue, my Dorny has a blue face etc.


I kind of like this blue dial:

 

 

 

No, scratch that.  I absolutely love this blue dial.

post #20194 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

@mimo

1.) platinum is 95% pure precious metal and 18k gold is only 75% pure precious metal. that alone is a 20% bump.

2.) platinum is a very hard metal and much more difficult to work with.

i read an article with an interview with someone at VC when they were doing their all platinum special editions, and i forget the exact numbers, but the amount of dials that were no good that had to be scrapped/refined for every successful dial was very significant. the same is pretty much true for cases and buckles.

the amount of "throw" aways (obviously they are not thrown away, but they must be reprocessed) and the amount of time taken to craft the platinum models is far greater than the gold models.

now, im not saying that there is not some "prestige" thrown into the price bump to platinum over gold, but there is good reason why the price for a platinum watch will always be far more than a gold watch of the same model.

 

I have heard about how difficult platinum is to work with - so much so that it's not just raw materials that need to be "thrown away" but also the instruments with which watchmakers work.  

 

So I appreciate, say, the kind of workmanship that went into making this lovely beauty, which I wore last Sunday.  And today.  

 

 

 

Seems like such a shame to render this one a safe queen, after all that hard work that went into crafting its platinum case, etc.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

My last post here in TWAT was about my 1960s vintage Valjoux 88 chrono. So yes, I am joking.

 

I knew you were joking! smile.gif

post #20195 of 39264

Also, for the record, I love posting in TWAT.  I really, really do.  

post #20196 of 39264
We should have shirts made up. "TWAT: Appreciating the finer things in life since 2007"
post #20197 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

We should have shirts made up. "TWAT: Appreciating the finer things in life since 2007"

nod[1].gif
post #20198 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post


I kind of like this blue dial:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


No, scratch that.  I absolutely love this blue dial.

That is obviously a beautiful dial, probably the most iconic blue dial of them all. That said, it isnt actually my favorite shade of blue, I like something a bit lighter and more vivid.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #20199 of 39264
those are both great blues. i REALLY like the blue of the AP RO. as well, i have a B&M capeland that has a blue dial i love.
post #20200 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post


That is obviously a beautiful dial, probably the most iconic blue dial of them all. That said, it isnt actually my favorite shade of blue, I like something a bit lighter and more vivid.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Ah, that's a really nice example.  Thanks for sharing this awesome pic!

 

The 5711/1A's blue dial is actually mesmerizing because it shimmers and becomes almost green and/or black depending on the lighting. It's really like staring out of a porthole into the ocean, which I suppose was Genta's intent.  You've probably seen the tons of threads around many other forums with people wanting variations of the Nautilus and others adamantly insisting that they'd rather keep the complications-free blue/green dial just to basically behold that divine color free of any perceived clutter.

post #20201 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

We should have shirts made up. "TWAT: Appreciating the finer things in life since 2007"

TWAT: "Appreciating the Finer Things in a Warm, Comfortable Environment"
post #20202 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


TWAT: "Appreciating the Finer Things in a Warm, Comfortable Environment"

 

Bawhawhawhawhawhaw! fistbump.gif

post #20203 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Ah, that's a really nice example.  Thanks for sharing this awesome pic!

The 5711/1A's blue dial is actually mesmerizing because it shimmers and becomes almost green and/or black depending on the lighting. It's really like staring out of a porthole into the ocean, which I suppose was Genta's intent.  You've probably seen the tons of threads around many other forums with people wanting variations of the Nautilus and others adamantly insisting that they'd rather keep the complications-free blue/green dial just to basically behold that divine color free of any perceived clutter.

The Nautilus has to be one of the best one-watches. Either this or the RO. Definitely one of my 'grail' pieces. I like that the Nautilus is the road less travelled as well. That always appeals to me. I do not think I would get any variation, I honestly think that yours is the best.

This would be the other one I would consider strongly:

post #20204 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

The Nautilus has to be one of the best one-watches. Either this or the RO. Definitely one of my 'grail' pieces.

id rather one of each. after all, 2 grails are better than 1.
post #20205 of 39264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

TWAT: "Appreciating the Finer Things in a Warm, Comfortable Environment"

Nice to know that anytime in the day (at work) I can get deep into TWAT. Mmm hmm. Mmmmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Oyoyoy. Check out the 5227 in rose gold, pictures of front and back and technical specs below (contending with the strange formatting of pics/posts again)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

8678966638_d6dd3ae9f2.jpg 8678966660_b7e24ce217.jpg

I don't know, I'm sort of "over" the time-only Calatravas. Let me elaborate.

I understand that there is a lot of love for them out there but with the cumulative price rises over the last 10 years it just doesn't make any sense to me anymore. Sure you get a nice "classic" time-only dress watch, but for $20k to >$25k? Doesn't make sense to me - and in a sense it's qualitatively no different from that platinum Daytona. I can still remember a time when you could pick up a "basic" Calatrava for just over $10K from your dealer.

The watch hasn't changed. The movement certainly hasn't changed. Nothing's changed. The Calatrava of today is no "better" than the Calatrava of yesterday, and TBH there are a ton of alternatives out there that are in some ways more interesting from VC, GP, Piaget, etc.

Also let me state something which I have mentioned before - there appear to be "classes" of PP finish. You are not buying anything near the most finely finished PP, let alone the most finely finished watch, for your >$20k. Think about what $20-25K will get you from, say, JLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

2.) platinum is a very hard metal and much more difficult to work with.

I'm pretty sure that platinum, especially in its usual alloys, is actually softer than 18k gold. (yes, I've been doing some reading sitchy... shog[1].gif )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post




Now that's a nice watch! Just added it to my hitlist.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread