or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1338

post #20056 of 33534
I know, I know, I should not be intrigued.

But I am intrigued.
post #20057 of 33534
i wish i could take pics like that. frown.gif
post #20058 of 33534
Regarding the lack of provenance on that split-second perpetual - is that a movement that could even be faked, if the complication actually works?
post #20059 of 33534

post #20060 of 33534
Only recently found this thread. Lots of knowledge here. I browse WUS and TZ typically.

Here is my timepiece.

IMG_1450

It is a VC Overseas 47040. A versatile watch that I wear nearly everyday. The bracelet is spectacular, the dial is perfect for me. Sorry I don't quite have a shot with my current getup, as many do in this thread, but I was wearing my lambskin W&H leather at the time of this photo.

Hope to learn more from others here.

Cheers

Mike
post #20061 of 33534
Speedmaster Ref 3513.30. Discontinued model. Silver dial.



Desirable? Attractive? Versatile?
post #20062 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

Regarding the lack of provenance on that split-second perpetual - is that a movement that could even be faked, if the complication actually works?

 

This beast of an in-house movement called the CH 29 535 PS Q (again, pic from Hodinkee)?

 

 

 

Seems doubtful that this one could be faked given the level of detailing and finishing, right?  But can't be too careful - I'd have it authenticated anyway if I was making that kind of purchase.

 

There are also funny (funny because they didn't happen to me) horror stories about collectors being sold a piece with no movement at all.  Because the seller thought the collector would just stash that sucker in a safe.  mwink[1].gif

 

Can't be too careful....

post #20063 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by herragge View Post

Only recently found this thread. Lots of knowledge here. I browse WUS and TZ typically.

Here is my timepiece.

IMG_1450

It is a VC Overseas 47040. A versatile watch that I wear nearly everyday. The bracelet is spectacular, the dial is perfect for me. Sorry I don't quite have a shot with my current getup, as many do in this thread, but I was wearing my lambskin W&H leather at the time of this photo.

Hope to learn more from others here.

Cheers

Mike

 

I love this piece.  VC's signature Maltese cross woven as part of the bracelet links makes the look incredibly unique. I was choosing between this piece and the PP 5711/1A and ended up choosing the Nautilus (no regrets), but I suspect I would have loved this piece anyway had I gone this route.

post #20064 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobbish View Post



Love the anthracite dial. One of my favorite auto panerais....and definitely the prettiest dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herragge View Post

Only recently found this thread. Lots of knowledge here. I browse WUS and TZ typically.

Here is my timepiece.

IMG_1450

It is a VC Overseas 47040. A versatile watch that I wear nearly everyday. The bracelet is spectacular, the dial is perfect for me. Sorry I don't quite have a shot with my current getup, as many do in this thread, but I was wearing my lambskin W&H leather at the time of this photo.

Hope to learn more from others here.

Cheers

Mike

Ive wanted that watch for a long time. really like the chrono version as well, but this one wins me over with my preference for a clean non cluttered dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

This beast of an in-house movement called the CH 29 535 PS Q (again, pic from Hodinkee)?





Seems doubtful that this one could be faked given the level of detailing and finishing, right?  But can't be too careful - I'd have it authenticated anyway if I was making that kind of purchase.

There are also funny (funny because they didn't happen to me) horror stories about collectors being sold a piece with no movement at all.  Because the seller thought the collector would just stash that sucker in a safe.  mwink%5B1%5D.gif


Can't be too careful....

ffffuuuu.gif that movement is fucking gorgeous.
post #20065 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by herragge View Post

Only recently found this thread. Lots of knowledge here. I browse WUS and TZ typically.
IMG_1450

Lovely watch Mike.
post #20066 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

1 - 6. who gives a crap, if you havent bought it already its only a matter of time.

 

I laughed so loud when I read this, that the guy outside my door upgrading the fire alarm almost fell off his ladder.  Thank you Stitchy*. :)

 

 

 

(but platinum or not, Day-Dates are kind of silly in the first place and baby blue is for girlzez)

post #20067 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

[/URL]

Seems doubtful that this one could be faked given the level of detailing and finishing, right?  ....

Wrong, maybe. There was an article in recent iW or Watchtime warning about a rash of high-end fakes from China that are very hard to tell from the originals.

Buy the seller as is said on the watch forums.
post #20068 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

Wrong, maybe. There was an article in recent iW or Watchtime warning about a rash of high-end fakes from China that are very hard to tell from the originals.

Buy the seller as is said on the watch forums.

OK - but if a watchmaker in China can create a working split-second chrono / perpetual calendar that works and has even close to the quality of finishing as that PP, it would still be a watch worth a crapload of money. So why not just put your own brand on it and sell a few of them at $100,000 instead of selling one fake for $350k? Once you establish your ability to create such a masterpiece, you can start overcharging for your less complicated watches as well. confused.gif
post #20069 of 33534
snobbige, herragge, stive - great watches and great pics. welcome welcome. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

Regarding the lack of provenance on that split-second perpetual - is that a movement that could even be faked, if the complication actually works?

aside from the authenticity, i would want to know that the warranty and all that is valid, especially on a piece like that in case of service needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I laughed so loud when I read this, that the guy outside my door upgrading the fire alarm almost fell off his ladder.  Thank you Stitchy*. smile.gif

my pleasure. cheers.gif
post #20070 of 33534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post


Wrong, maybe. There was an article in recent iW or Watchtime warning about a rash of high-end fakes from China that are very hard to tell from the originals.

Buy the seller as is said on the watch forums.

 

I wrote that tongue-in-cheek and very quickly recommended a thorough authentication. :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread