or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1334

post #19996 of 35576

I'd put that on a strap and wear it all the time.

post #19997 of 35576
That is stunning!! I am on the hunt for a vintage version as a wedding present for myself.

Enjoy it!
post #19998 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdldore View Post

My Dad bought this many years ago before Rolex sued Tiffany. I have had it for a couple of years. don't wear it often, but it provides good memories.



Very nice, has to be rather special since it was your fathers.
post #19999 of 35576
Picked up my vintage Valjoux 88 yesterday - fantastic! 36mm - just the right size for me.

post #20000 of 35576

Kungapa, that's incredible.

post #20001 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Kungapa, that's incredible.

Thank you! I got it at an absolute steal at the latest Antiquorum auction. The person who valued and investigated the watch clearly didn't know what they were looking at. It was labeled as a "7751" movement, even though it is handwound, not automatic. After a bit of research it would seem it is actually a Valjoux 88 - the moon phase triple date version of the Valjoux 72 chronograph movement. Engraved "MRM 1961".

Will make a great, nice watch to go with suits.
post #20002 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

Thank you! I got it at an absolute steal at the latest Antiquorum auction. The person who valued and investigated the watch clearly didn't know what they were looking at. It was labeled as a "7751" movement, even though it is handwound, not automatic. After a bit of research it would seem it is actually a Valjoux 88 - the moon phase triple date version of the Valjoux 72 chronograph movement. Engraved "MRM 1961".

Will make a great, nice watch to go with suits.

That is an absolutely awesome watch. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for? I would love a vintage watch like that. Kind of reminds me of the Universal Geneve tri-compax's that go for, well, way too much money for me to afford!
post #20003 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

That is an absolutely awesome watch. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for? I would love a vintage watch like that. Kind of reminds me of the Universal Geneve tri-compax's that go for, well, way too much money for me to afford!

Hammer at $950, total cost including buyer's fees and taxes $1300 or so. It is all publicly available at Antiquorum's website.

I looked at getting a Tri-Compax, but ended up with a Valjoux 88 instead. The tri-compaxes are hard to service, and spare parts are getting harder to come by. The Valjoux 88 is on the Valjoux 72 base, and although no longer in production spare parts are easier to come by and service should be somewhat easier.
post #20004 of 35576

That's all?!  Doubly incredible!  I'm deeply envious - I think I could stare at that and fiddle around with it all day. Really, well done - it shows how being patient and putting the time in can pay off.

 

Erm...but it does look a little big on you, so, you know, if you'd like to get rid of it....devil.gif

post #20005 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

Picked up my vintage Valjoux 88 yesterday - fantastic! 36mm - just the right size for me.

 

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It might come as a huge surprise for others here, but I'm a big fan of perpetual calendar chronographs with moonphase!

post #20006 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

That's all?!  Doubly incredible!  I'm deeply envious - I think I could stare at that and fiddle around with it all day. Really, well done - it shows how being patient and putting the time in can pay off.

Erm...but it does look a little big on you, so, you know, if you'd like to get rid of it....devil.gif

The regular watch auctions are less perfect markets than ebay - especially for lower end watches - so it is easier to get a deal.

And no - it is the perfect size, it is only the angle and focal length of the camera that makes it look a little big.
post #20007 of 35576

No no..it's too...tall..or something....give it to me! 

 

Congratulations :)

post #20008 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It might come as a huge surprise for others here, but I'm a big fan of perpetual calendar chronographs with moonphase!

You should pick one of them up though. I hear they are easy to come by.
post #20009 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It might come as a huge surprise for others here, but I'm a big fan of perpetual calendar chronographs with moonphase!

Thank you! Not quite a PP - though they did have a few of those at the auction too, but the price point ended up a little too high for my current income level. It seems more expensive watches tend to have a more perfect market at the regular auctions, whereas stranger less famous vintage pieces can be had for a steal - this one went even below its estimate.
post #20010 of 35576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

.... It seems more expensive watches tend to have a more perfect market at the regular auctions, whereas stranger less famous vintage pieces can be had for a steal - this one went even below its estimate.

+2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread