or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1250

post #18736 of 34210
Alternately, you could just pick this guy's up:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6447818&rid=0#msg_6447818
post #18737 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

Speedy on black leather is so good.

i concur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

I just sent my Oris worldtimer to be fixed bc the quickset date is not working. I miss it and I'm in Hong Kong so I'm surrounded by watches. I am in love with the jlc master geographic. I've never spent that much on a watch... And I'm a little reluctant to pull the trigger. Anyone an owner that would care to sway me one way or the other?

never owned it, but have lusted for that watch since i first saw it like 10 years ago. my sway would be on the side of robo-kopping.
post #18738 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

I just sent my Oris worldtimer to be fixed bc the quickset date is not working. I miss it and I'm in Hong Kong so I'm surrounded by watches. I am in love with the jlc master geographic. I've never spent that much on a watch... And I'm a little reluctant to pull the trigger. Anyone an owner that would care to sway me one way or the other?

I've never owned a Master Geographic, but I've handled one several times.  IMHO its one of the easiest to use most functional world time watches.  I do prefer the old version as I thought the dial worked a little better for dressier occasions if one is traveling on business.  The newer dial is a bit bolder and sportier.  I'm generally not a fan of world time watches, but the Master Geographic is a great watch.  If I traveled more for business its the world time watch I would choose.  Good luck and hope it works out for you.

post #18739 of 34210


I think this is truly spectacular. I never thought a perpetual calendar would be (somewhat) attainable for me, but in steel, this is really lovely and I want it badly. Fits a really nice gap in my small collection -- I have the Submariner LV; Reverso Tribute 1931; a PAM 183 Radiomir; and Royal Oak 15400. Time to start saving my pennies. Thoughts, fellas?

Image and some more info from Hodinkee:
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/jaegerlecoultre-master-ultra-thin-perpetual-calendar
post #18740 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

 Thoughts, fellas?
 

 

It's beautiful.  I would like one.

post #18741 of 34210

I wish they left off the year.
 

post #18742 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post



I think this is truly spectacular. I never thought a perpetual calendar would be (somewhat) attainable for me, but in steel, this is really lovely and I want it badly. Fits a really nice gap in my small collection -- I have the Submariner LV; Reverso Tribute 1931; a PAM 183 Radiomir; and Royal Oak 15400. Time to start saving my pennies. Thoughts, fellas?

Image and some more info from Hodinkee:
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/jaegerlecoultre-master-ultra-thin-perpetual-calendar

they make a rather affordable torbillon as well. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

I wish they left off the year.

 

+1. i am rarely, if at all, a fran of date year wheels on watch dials.
post #18743 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

I wish they left off the year.
 

 

Or balanced it with a tiny linear power reserve indicator on the other side. :)

 

But I'd still have it. Rose for me, please Santa.

post #18744 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

What was wrong with it?

The whole strap apart from the tabs are machine stitched. The edging is crude and uneven. Dont like cordovan, and it didnt fit properly as bespoke would.
post #18745 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Or balanced it with a tiny linear power reserve indicator on the other side. smile.gif

that would be cool.
post #18746 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


they make a rather affordable torbillon as well. smile.gif
+1. i am rarely, if at all, a fran of date year wheels on watch dials.


That said, if I had the funds, this would be an immediate purchase in the stainless steel. Amazing bang for the buck.

post #18747 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

Or balanced it with a tiny linear power reserve indicator on the other side. :)

 

But I'd still have it. Rose for me, please Santa.


They could have also put the do not change indicator on the other side, but I like it's current placement. But given the value, the year is certainly not a deal breaker.

post #18748 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Love the 1931 Tribute with that jacket and tan strap with white stitching! Just a fantastic combinations! My only issue is with the "B" shaped monogram. I can't tell if its just the photo, but in the photo at the top the indentation for the B creates kind of an uneven B (maybe thats intentional, maybe its because its part of working with an exotic skin). Until I read that it was sort of a monogram that you requested, I thought it was kind of a sloppy stitching job copying a Casa strap. Now I know its not. Overall love the watch with that strap, but I think it would look even nicer if it did not have the "monogram." Still beautiful combinations.

Thanks Dino, the B is quite nicely done in the flesh with well-shaped notches.






Romp - strap is by Hughes Low
post #18749 of 34210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post



I think this is truly spectacular. I never thought a perpetual calendar would be (somewhat) attainable for me, but in steel, this is really lovely and I want it badly. Fits a really nice gap in my small collection -- I have the Submariner LV; Reverso Tribute 1931; a PAM 183 Radiomir; and Royal Oak 15400. Time to start saving my pennies. Thoughts, fellas?
 

 

Nice watch, but their Master Series Perpetual Calendars used to have lots of problems with mechanisms jamming and not advancing.  I remember reading a lot about it in back in 2001-2004, and  I don't know if they changed their movements in recent years.  Hence it their perpetual calendar fell off my wish list a long time ago.

post #18750 of 34210
I examined the JLC master tourbillons with a loupe - finishing could definitely be improved. Hardly any hand-done anglage. I guess for 40k or so that is what the Swiss guys think you should expect.

In comparison checking out the Vacheron Patrimony and Malte tourbillons and the Lange Cabaret tourbillon (latter two with sublime form movements!) was an exercise in horological intercourse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread