or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1198

post #17956 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

How I feel about it right now? Id have to say a submariner ( 5513 or 1680)

 
Predictable answer? yes, but there's wisdom in crowds I suppose
Of all the watches I currently own, if I had to get rid of all but one the one would be my no date Sub. Not my favorite among the group but it would be the "one" if I had to pick.
post #17957 of 36000
Ah, the mythical one watch cool.gif I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch laugh.gif Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic wink.gif
post #17958 of 36000

fistbump.gif

 

I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?
 

post #17959 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

fistbump.gif

I timed my wiefs contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

 
Yeah an old fashioned Breguet one handed suscripcion would not have worked well for that
:-)
post #17960 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Given my current lifestyle, work/weekends, preferences for aesthetics, workmanship, etc. I'd have to go with the 3940P too.However, if I lived a bit of a sportier lifestyle I suspect the 116520 will come in a very close second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Ah, the mythical one watch cool.gif I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch laugh.gif Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic wink.gif
That boring ladies' watch of a Daytona would be a strong contender for me as well. RO/Nautilus would also be on the list for the hypothetical "there-can-only-be-one" situation. The theme here seems to be steel, which makes a lot of sense if durability and versatility are important.
post #17961 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

fistbump.gif
I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

brilliant!

lol that you bought it before the birth.
post #17962 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

brilliant!

lol that you bought it before the birth.

An excellent "helping her to push" present.
post #17963 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post

Agreed, there are lots of Pateks that would look great with t-shirt/jeans, provided that both are modern fitting and good quality. Personally would either go for one of the enamel dial / hobnail bezel Calatravas (as you suggested; to achieve a similar effect to a Tank or Santos, which are classic with casual clothes) or one of the larger/thicker chronos - 5270, 5970, 5070. Frankly I think the Nautilus works best to enhance the sportiness of a suit/tie or business casual ensemble and can look a little timid with casual attire (at least what I wear).

 

Yeah, the hobnailed bezel of my 5119 and 3919 helped give it a bit of the push I needed to make me comfy wearing it with jeans.

 

As for the Nautilus, I'm perfectly comfy wearing it with a white undershirt, jeans, and no shoes. biggrin.gif

 

 

post #17964 of 36000

Some of you may remember a little while back I was considering my first 'proper' watch as a reward to myself for finishing my Masters and had the criteria of a ss utility/tool watch that would look good in a suit, as well as casually etc etc I was debating a submariner/SD, Speedy, etc although it was the IWC Ingenieur 322701 that I really had my eye on! 

 

Well...

 

 

 

 

 

I am absolutely delighted with it!  I love the heft, exquisite finishing and sheer quality of the bracelet.  I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the right one and finally located a mint condition example that was literally flawless :) It really looks stunning in person, a fact I was glad about as I took a bit of a risk purchasing this watch despite never having seen this exact model in the flesh!  

 

Also in answer to another member asking if you could only own one watch, this would be my answer (although this is probably due to me being in the 'infatuation period'.)

 

 

 

My friends who own a submariner (no date), speedy (the one that says first 'and only' watch worn on the moon) and Breitling avenger (seawolf) are all very jealous, and I must say, even if I had a choice, I would not consider swapping it for any of those satisfied.gif

 

There is one problem though...

 

This is the start of something that I don't think I can control devil.gif

post #17965 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLL View Post

 

I am absolutely delighted with it!  I love the heft, exquisite finishing and sheer quality of the bracelet.  

 

 

 

Agreed--IWC makes fantastic bracelets. I have one on my Aquatimer and would love one for my BI.

post #17966 of 36000
congratulations, and sorry about your wallet!
post #17967 of 36000

MGLL - looks fantastic!

post #17968 of 36000

This is the only watch I will be wearing today.

1000

post #17969 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post


Brand new I think

Cool, looks interesting! I use to see this brand some years ago, but never bought any! I guess its time to take another look, thanksthumbs-up.gif

post #17970 of 36000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLL View Post

Some of you may remember a little while back I was considering my first 'proper' watch as a reward to myself for finishing my Masters and had the criteria of a ss utility/tool watch that would look good in a suit, as well as casually etc etc I was debating a submariner/SD, Speedy, etc although it was the IWC Ingenieur 322701 that I really had my eye on! 

 

Well...

 

 

 

 

 

I am absolutely delighted with it!  I love the heft, exquisite finishing and sheer quality of the bracelet.  I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the right one and finally located a mint condition example that was literally flawless :) It really looks stunning in person, a fact I was glad about as I took a bit of a risk purchasing this watch despite never having seen this exact model in the flesh!  

 

Also in answer to another member asking if you could only own one watch, this would be my answer (although this is probably due to me being in the 'infatuation period'.)

 

 

 

My friends who own a submariner (no date), speedy (the one that says first 'and only' watch worn on the moon) and Breitling avenger (seawolf) are all very jealous, and I must say, even if I had a choice, I would not consider swapping it for any of those satisfied.gif

 

There is one problem though...

 

This is the start of something that I don't think I can control devil.gif

Nince! Looks good on your wrist! But before you buy your next watch, please read this thread in its whole entirety! Could save you some dissapointment down the roadfing02[1].gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread