or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1154

post #17296 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

lol8[1].gif

There's a lot of truth in it though.

One of the more humorous articles I've read in a while, esp. this I've found true:

"Oh this? Yeah. Better be. Sixteen grand, right here. Ha. This is just my walking-around watch, you know? A little Tourneau, a little something. It's nice, but I don't give a fuck if I lose it, you know? I'll go out drinking in this watch. The Patek Phillippes, I keep at home. I only break those out on special occasions. Just for little parties and shit like this, I got this one, I got the Movado, I got the B-vvv-lgari, and I got the Vacheron. That one, I bought at the auction. People don't know about Vacheron. You got guys out there, they think Rolex is the thing. They think Rollies are like the nicest watch there is. That's amateur hour. Me, I don't even own a Rolex. Rolex makes you look like an asshole. Every time I see a guy in a Rolex I walk up to him and say, 'You see this? This is a fucking Richard Mille. This right here is worth more than ten of your shitty Rolexes.' Then I laugh at him and walk away. This watch thing is really about taste."

My father got a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL, Panerai PAM00372 and a gold/metal Rolex Datejust, he must be the devil to you guys. lol8[1].gif
post #17297 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post

Love how the article has just dismissed us all as a bunch of douche bags! smile.gif

it was awesome. i was laughing at all their beer bellies and trailer homes.

tbh tho, that watch is hideous.
post #17298 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

One of the more humorous articles I've read in a while, esp. this I've found true:

"Oh this? Yeah. Better be. Sixteen grand, right here. Ha. This is just my walking-around watch, you know? A little Tourneau, a little something. It's nice, but I don't give a fuck if I lose it, you know? I'll go out drinking in this watch. The Patek Phillippes, I keep at home. I only break those out on special occasions. Just for little parties and shit like this, I got this one, I got the Movado, I got the B-vvv-lgari, and I got the Vacheron. That one, I bought at the auction. People don't know about Vacheron. You got guys out there, they think Rolex is the thing. They think Rollies are like the nicest watch there is. That's amateur hour. Me, I don't even own a Rolex. Rolex makes you look like an asshole. Every time I see a guy in a Rolex I walk up to him and say, 'You see this? This is a fucking Richard Mille. This right here is worth more than ten of your shitty Rolexes.' Then I laugh at him and walk away. This watch thing is really about taste."

My father got a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL, Panerai PAM00372 and a gold/metal Rolex Datejust, he must be the devil to you guys. lol8[1].gif

lol that was funny, but in all honesty most people with the vacherons, pateks, etc probably have or have had a rolex in their collection at some point
post #17299 of 36815
Picking up my JLC NSA which is coming back from service today (3 months - not bad!) Wearing this in the meantime. I know it's a little different and not necessarily SF approved but I love the unique place it holds in my collection

Have a great weekend everyone

post #17300 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I wore my Explorer II the entire time I was deployed and only suffered a small scratch on the case.

 

I scratched the crystal today on a table corner.

 

ffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gif

 

Augh - that sucks!

post #17301 of 36815

Wearing this little beauty today.  I really love the blue/green dial.  I posted a pic of this earlier but it was shot in low light (in Disneyworld).  This pic shows off the 5711's mesmerizing dial a bit better, but there's nothing quite like having it sit on your wrist and seeing it in person.

 

post #17302 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post

lol that was funny, but in all honesty most people with the vacherons, pateks, etc probably have or have had a rolex in their collection at some point

Indeed, should. It's a pretty easy way to pick an IMO immature WIS by whether they Rolex bash or not - it's a common rookie mistake.

Rolex movements are IMO incredibly robust, and if I was washed up on a desert island and for some reason needed a solidly built tool watch to time tides and kill small creatures or whatever I would go with a Rolex over a watch from any of the big 3 or AL&S or (insert haute horology marque). You don't need to handle Rolexes with kid gloves.

There was an (in)famous Walt Odets Rolex review article a while back which while... not exactly complimentary towards Rolex from the POV of movement finishing/assembly did in a somewhat backhanded way express admiration for its ability to keep functioning so superbly despite the shortcomings in movement finishing.
post #17303 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by recondite View Post

In order:

Old School Big Three: PP, VC, AP
New School Big Three: Philippe Dufour, F.P. Journe, ALS

I'm not sure about the old school, new school distinction - but having owned a few Journes I don't find its association with the big time names to be appropriate. Journe has extraordinary talent and a keen eye for design, but the ownership experience of his watches does not live up to its promise. After all, what's the point of a watch if it fails to fulfill its primary function as a reliable timekeeper?

Dufour, on the other hand, is a master who inexplicably somehow falls under the radar.
post #17304 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Rolex movements are IMO incredibly robust, and if I was washed up on a desert island and for some reason needed a solidly built tool watch to time tides and kill small creatures or whatever I would go with a Rolex over a watch from any of the big 3 or AL&S or (insert haute horology marque). You don't need to handle Rolexes with kid gloves.

There was an (in)famous Walt Odets Rolex review article a while back which while... not exactly complimentary towards Rolex from the POV of movement finishing/assembly did in a somewhat backhanded way express admiration for its ability to keep functioning so superbly despite the shortcomings in movement finishing.

Yes, I remember the article by Walt Odets, I believe he was reviewing an Rolex Explorer. 

 

I agree complete, if stuck on a desert island or traveling to a remote area I'd want a Rolex.  In addition to being rugged, I remember someone also saying if something happens and you need money or goods, a Rolex works as currency in any country.  You can easily trade or sell it for necessities because everyone knows the brand name...your probably can't say the same for VC, Breguet, Philippe Dufour, or Journe etc.


Edited by Dino944 - 1/25/13 at 9:55am
post #17305 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post


Indeed, should. It's a pretty easy way to pick an IMO immature WIS by whether they Rolex bash or not - it's a common rookie mistake.

Rolex movements are IMO incredibly robust, and if I was washed up on a desert island and for some reason needed a solidly built tool watch to time tides and kill small creatures or whatever I would go with a Rolex over a watch from any of the big 3 or AL&S or (insert haute horology marque). You don't need to handle Rolexes with kid gloves.

There was an (in)famous Walt Odets Rolex review article a while back which while... not exactly complimentary towards Rolex from the POV of movement finishing/assembly did in a somewhat backhanded way express admiration for its ability to keep functioning so superbly despite the shortcomings in movement finishing.

 

There is a good definition of a "WIS" on Timezone.  Go check it out... I fully agree with the description and I am not sure about what is worse:  Being a pro-WIS or being a rookie WIS.

post #17306 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Indeed, should. It's a pretty easy way to pick an IMO immature WIS by whether they Rolex bash or not - it's a common rookie mistake.

Rolex movements are IMO incredibly robust, and if I was washed up on a desert island and for some reason needed a solidly built tool watch to time tides and kill small creatures or whatever I would go with a Rolex over a watch from any of the big 3 or AL&S or (insert haute horology marque). You don't need to handle Rolexes with kid gloves.

There was an (in)famous Walt Odets Rolex review article a while back which while... not exactly complimentary towards Rolex from the POV of movement finishing/assembly did in a somewhat backhanded way express admiration for its ability to keep functioning so superbly despite the shortcomings in movement finishing.

Oh yeah i completely agree, i have done the following while wearing my Rolex, Trek though a jungle, go swimming, running, hell even surfing, And its survived some vicious enough bangs that if the need arises i would not hesitate to use them as makeshift brass knuckles lol. This is with a Datejust mind you
post #17307 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Picking up my JLC NSA which is coming back from service today (3 months - not bad!) Wearing this in the meantime. I know it's a little different and not necessarily SF approved but I love the unique place it holds in my collection

Have a great weekend everyone

 

Thanks for sharing - does the IWC have a blue or a black dial?  Have a good weekend!

post #17308 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Yes, I remember the article by Walt Odets, I believe he was reviewing an Rolex Explorer. 

 

I agree complete, if stuck on a desert island or traveling to a remote area I'd want a Rolex.  In addition to being rugged, I remember someone also saying if something happens and you need money or goods, a Rolex works as currency in any country.  You can easily trade or sell it for necessities because everyone knows the brand name...your probably can't say the same for VC, Breguet, Philippe Dufour, or Journe etc.

 

I tend to bring my Explorer with me whenever I'll be at the beach, swimming, spending time in the sand with my kids, etc.  Tough as nails, and as much as I love my Pateks my Rolex gets at least one day a week of wrist time.

post #17309 of 36815
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

 

I tend to bring my Explorer with me whenever I'll be at the beach, swimming, spending time in the sand with my kids, etc.  Tough as nails, and as much as I love my Pateks my Rolex gets at least one day a week of wrist time.

The Explorer is a classic.  I had one for almost 10 years.  For many years I've worn some form of Rolex sport watch as a daily wearer, and they have never let me down. 

post #17310 of 36815

Apologies for the subpar pic via the iPhone. CVDK most days for me.  

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread