or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1152

post #17266 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post

I've been a regular lurker in this thread for quite a while and I must say the knowledge presented in many people's posts is astounding and so incredibly interesting. This is by far my most frequented thread on SF.
 

 

Welcome! I too came out of lurking status only a few weeks ago, after reading this entire thread and learning much. I ended up spending quite a bit of money on some fine watches, but feeling very, very happy every minute of the day that the pieces sit on my wrist.  Far happier than when the money was sitting in a brokerage account (and sometimes growing, sometimes not)... :)

post #17267 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post

I've been a regular lurker in this thread for quite a while and I must say the knowledge presented in many people's posts is astounding and so incredibly interesting. This is by far my most frequented thread on SF.

I do have a question for those more knowledgeable on the subject though; I'm aware VC, AP and PP are regarded as the 'Big Three', however having seen ALS' watches I'm curious why it isn't included in this grouping of prestige watch companies. Is ALS regarded as higher or lower on the totem pole than the Big Three? And on the same note, I notice that Breguet is rarely discussed in this thread. Where do they stand among these four other watch companies?

Welcome to the thread.  Don't get too hung up on the phrase "The Big Three."  There are several really great watches from other brands, in particular AL&S.

 

I agree largely with what Stitchy has said, and in addition to AL&S being shut down for many years, I was always under the impression that the Big Three was a term coined to describe the top SWISS brands.  There were lots of watch companies and small watch makers all over Switzerland in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and the quality of the watches, technical innovations, and maybe on some level history of producing top products, led to the belief that the the 3 Swiss Companies producing the very best watches back in the early 20th Century were PP, AP, and VC. 

 

I think Breguet makes some very nice watches, but at times their quality and innovations have been a bit lacking compared to PP, AP and VC.  AL&S by many might be considerd a notch above Patek, AP, and VC in terms if finish and quality...but they are German not Swiss, and there were long periods in the 20th century when they were not competitive with the so called Big Three. 

 

 

 

post #17268 of 39284
Am I wrong or do we see very few Daytonas here?
post #17269 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Am I wrong or do we see very few Daytonas here?

you are not wrong, but there have been a few. ddd has one i think, a few others. truth be told, there are not a whole lot of watches that more than one or two people here share, and with the relatively small amount of posters here (in comparison to all the high end watches out there and all people in the world that buy high end watches) there are only a limited number of watches that are owned by SFers at all.
post #17270 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Am I wrong or do we see very few Daytonas here?

I think I make up for the relative lack of Daytonas here. Over the years I've owned 7 of them. 

Here are a few quick pix.

 

This one uses the cal 4030 which has a Zenith El Primero as its base.

 

 

This one is a "Fat Hand" model and uses the in house cal 4130.

post #17271 of 39284
lovely !
post #17272 of 39284

Very nice!

post #17273 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post

I've been a regular lurker in this thread for quite a while and I must say the knowledge presented in many people's posts is astounding and so incredibly interesting. This is by far my most frequented thread on SF.

I do have a question for those more knowledgeable on the subject though; I'm aware VC, AP and PP are regarded as the 'Big Three', however having seen ALS' watches I'm curious why it isn't included in this grouping of prestige watch companies. Is ALS regarded as higher or lower on the totem pole than the Big Three? And on the same note, I notice that Breguet is rarely discussed in this thread. Where do they stand among these four other watch companies?

Im sure someone will correct me if this information is incorrect. But the reason why ALS and Breguet are not included in the "Big Three" is because ALS is German and Breguet was founded in Paris and was based there several hundred years so is historically a "French Brand". VC, PP, and AP are all historically swiss. ALS and Breguet imo are just as good as the big three, all five brands are regarded as the highest tier of watches and some watch enthusiasts informally group then all together as the "big five".
post #17274 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Welcome to the thread.  Don't get too hung up on the phrase "The Big Three."  There are several really great watches from other brands, in particular AL&S.

I agree largely with what Stitchy has said, and in addition to AL&S being shut down for many years, I was always under the impression that the Big Three was a term coined to describe the top SWISS brands.  There were lots of watch companies and small watch makers all over Switzerland in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and the quality of the watches, technical innovations, and maybe on some level history of producing top products, led to the belief that the the 3 Swiss Companies producing the very best watches back in the early 20th Century were PP, AP, and VC. 

I think Breguet makes some very nice watches, but at times their quality and innovations have been a bit lacking compared to PP, AP and VC.  AL&S by many might be considerd a notch above Patek, AP, and VC in terms if finish and quality...but they are German not Swiss, and there were long periods in the 20th century when they were not competitive with the so called Big Three. 



+1, am absolutely in love with the Lange 1 and 1815
post #17275 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lovely !

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Very nice!

 Thanks Gents!

post #17276 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


Im sure someone will correct me if this information is incorrect. But the reason why ALS and Breguet are not included in the "Big Three" is because ALS is German and Breguet was founded in Paris and was based there several hundred years so is historically a "French Brand". VC, PP, and AP are all historically swiss. ALS and Breguet imo are just as good as the big three, all five brands are regarded as the highest tier of watches and some watch enthusiasts informally group then all together as the "big five".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


+1, am absolutely in love with the Lange 1 and 1815

 

Jeff, I think you and I largely had the same answer, that the Big Three refers to the top Swiss brands in the early 20th Century, hence Lange is not or would not be considered one of the Big Three.  As for Breguet, they make nice watches, but I think at times their quality has not been up to the standards of PP, AP, and VC. 

 

I've never heard anyone use the terms "Big Five."  However, at this point in time, the quality levels and tollerances used in materials, finishing, and overall product are so high, that many of the top brands are on par in quality today so there really are more than just 3 top brands.

post #17277 of 39284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post


Jeff, I think you and I largely had the same answer, that the Big Three refers to the top Swiss brands in the early 20th Century, hence Lange is not or would not be considered one of the Big Three.  As for Breguet, they make nice watches, but I think at times their quality has not been up to the standards of PP, AP, and VC. 

I've never heard anyone use the terms "Big Five."  However, at this point in time, the quality levels and tollerances used in materials, finishing, and overall product are so high, that many of the top brands are on par in quality today so there really are more than just 3 top brands.

Yup yup, but remember that Breguet was also "French" until sometime in the 20th Century and during the 19th they were considered the best in the world.

Edit: just looked it up. it was only in 1976 that Breguet moved to switzerland and this was after the term "big three" was coined if I'm not mistaken
post #17278 of 39284
Yes, 1976 is a long time after the term "Big Three" was coined.

Lots of companies make great watches, but the phrase "Big Three" only refers to three specific brands.
post #17279 of 39284

I wore my Explorer II the entire time I was deployed and only suffered a small scratch on the case.

 

I scratched the crystal today on a table corner.

 

ffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gif

post #17280 of 39284
censored.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread