or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1139

post #17071 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

I have always liked these s. oceans! I have not handled it physically, that screw-in crown, ist it smooth? 

Extremely biggrin.gif
post #17072 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadar View Post


Extremely biggrin.gif

Lucky devil! By the way, no need to be modest your watch is as good as any! All about perception brother! Disregard any and all snobberyicon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


Edited by ant702 - 1/20/13 at 2:08am
post #17073 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

"NO"  just seeing who associates himself with Rolex (brand junkies:) ), now I know! I myself, have owned many brands, new, never pre-owned( nothing against pre-owned)! But if you talk to a watch maker he will not laugh at what you wrote! There is no Rolex patent that was'nt  already thought of, or that was already being produced, nothing special, other companys would have come to the same conclusions, Rolex just got it patented first! This qoute came from a watch maker(not verbatim) 70+yrs old who still gets commissioned from these 2 brands(think Johns lying? I doubt it)!  Also, he did mention Omega has a better movement( he explained,but my memory sucks)! I know people dont like to hear that they have been duped, sorry! How many Rolexes do you own? I dont know what to tell you, sell'em? I did, glad I did, liberate yourself Dino449, now go purchase that overrpriced ss seamatser, and dont forget to post it here  !  If this debate is all about the looks, please disregard, not very pleasing 2me either:facepalm:  

I think it was Vacheron Constantin that developed the first "anti-magnetic/non-magnetic" watch (not wristwatch) in 1915 followed by Tissot who in 1929 created the first anti-magnetic wrist watch. But i think his point was they are copying the designs and just released this to compete with the Milgauss. I don't think he was trying to say that rolex invented everything
post #17074 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I love it when you say shit I don't really understand.  I have never had an expensive watch in my life, but for some reason I find this thread absolutely fascinating, and read it every day. lurker%5B1%5D.gif
Thanks, man.

To be quite honest, this is a nearly completely useless field of knowledge if it's taken in isolation. There's little appeal in most (90%+) contemporary watches for me, as there's just so much crap out there. What I like about good watches is the application of form, function and design in a well-thought-out example. I get the same satisfaction out of finding out and appreciating what constitutes a great bicycle/motorcycle design, an appealing architectural work, or an excellent piece of music. The same principles apply.

Trust me when I tell you that you're not missing out on anything that special if you don't have an "expensive" watch. You're far better off spending your money — and especially time — going places and doing things. That said, a no-excuses watch is a great travel partner. If you ever feel like spending some extra cash on a watch that you won't regret, won't be affected by trends, and won't lose its value, get a non-blingy steel Rolex and you're set for life. There, now I've freed up hundreds of hours of your lifetime for more useful activities. teacha.gif
post #17075 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


I think it was Vacheron Constantin that developed the first "anti-magnetic/non-magnetic" watch (not wristwatch) in 1915 followed by Tissot who in 1929 created the first anti-magnetic wrist watch. But i think his point was they are copying the designs and just released this to compete with the Milgauss. I don't think he was trying to say that rolex invented everything

 Understood jeffsmile.gif  I like these guys they are all very smart! Dont you think? I have learned some things, but in the process you gotta have fun! I think some have forgotton how! Or maybe I'm wrong and this thread is blowing off some steam (testosterone)! "Shake it up a bit," I do this at work as well (yes I punch a clock and occasionally 2)! Most important thing is that we all wake up in the morn.smile.gif Now enuff of that boring crap, lets get back to the watches, agreedicon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif   

post #17076 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Thanks, man.

To be quite honest, this is a nearly completely useless field of knowledge if it's taken in isolation. There's little appeal in most (90%+) contemporary watches for me, as there's just so much crap out there. What I like about good watches is the application of form, function and design in a well-thought-out example. I get the same satisfaction out of finding out and appreciating what constitutes a great bicycle/motorcycle design, an appealing architectural work, or an excellent piece of music. The same principles apply.

Trust me when I tell you that you're not missing out on anything that special if you don't have an "expensive" watch. You're far better off spending your money — and especially time — going places and doing things. That said, a no-excuses watch is a great travel partner. If you ever feel like spending some extra cash on a watch that you won't regret, won't be affected by trends, and won't lose its value, get a non-blingy steel Rolex and you're set for life. There, now I've freed up hundreds of hours of your lifetime for more useful activities. teacha.gif

OUTSANDING STATEMENT, BRAVOcheers.gif

post #17077 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

Very nice! End-game watch?

Hi, ant702 - yes, it certainly felt like an end game watch to me when I got it. Any other piece seemed like it had drawbacks that would outweigh its appeal, whether it's because something about the aesthetics would not be quite right (I am attracted to the retrograde function of the 5059 but not by the thickness of the officer's case) or the price is prohibitive given my current resources (the 3970 or 5970 perpetual calendar chronograph has a "next step" appeal but I am not sure about the chronograph's addition to functionality or aesthetics for me, and it's a six figure piece).

Everything about this piece was just right for me: slimness, amount and look of complications, price point (got it pre-loved).
post #17078 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

 Understood jeff:)   I like these guys they are all very smart! Dont you think? I have learned some things, but in the process you gotta have fun! I think some have forgotton how! Or maybe I'm wrong and this thread is blowing off some steam (testosterone)! "Shake it up a bit," I do this at work as well (yes I punch a clock and occasionally 2)! Most important thing is that we all wake up in the morn.smile.gif  Now enuff of that boring crap, lets get back to the watches, agreedicon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif   

Lol gotcha and agreed.
post #17079 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post


Hi, ant702 - yes, it certainly felt like an end game watch to me when I got it. Any other piece seemed like it had drawbacks that would outweigh its appeal, whether it's because something about the aesthetics would not be quite right (I am attracted to the retrograde function of the 5059 but not by the thickness of the officer's case) or the price is prohibitive given my current resources (the 3970 or 5970 perpetual calendar chronograph has a "next step" appeal but I am not sure about the chronograph's addition to functionality or aesthetics for me, and it's a six figure piece).

Everything about this piece was just right for me: slimness, amount and look of complications, price point (got it pre-loved).

I havnt been keeping up with the price of precious metals! What do you think the price difference would have been if it where white gold? This maybe fruitless info for me, because its well above my pay grade! I think with most of my belongings + my soul wouldnt be adequatelol8[1].gif but I'm curious and I'm sure others are 2smile.gif   

post #17080 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

I havnt been keeping up with the price of precious metals! What do you think the price difference would have been if it where white gold? This maybe fruitless info for me, because its well above my pay grade! I think with most of my belongings + my soul wouldnt be adequatelol8%5B1%5D.gif but I'm curious and I'm sure others are 2:)    

The price of precious metals is one thing, but with gold currently where its at i think the main contributor to platinum timepieces being very expensive is the fact that watchmakers have to replace their tools after every 3 or so watches they make in platinum because of the nature of crafting the material.
post #17081 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

I havnt been keeping up with the price of precious metals! What do you think the price difference would have been if it where white gold? This maybe fruitless info for me, because its well above my pay grade! I think with most of my belongings + my soul wouldnt be adequatelol8%5B1%5D.gif but I'm curious and I'm sure others are 2:)    

There's precious metals, and then there's Patek and their eye-watering suggested retail prices for their timepieces:

3940j is $56,900
3940g is $59,500
3940p is $71,300

I traded in one of my Calatravas to acquire the 3940p, but despite this and the 3940p being pre-owned it still cost me a pretty chunk of change. So yeah the 3940p was kind of an end-game watch... For my wallet haha!
post #17082 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadar View Post

Have ogled this thread for a long time - figured it was time to make a submission (humble as it may be compared to most here). Not a dressy watch by any means - but ends up on my wrist more often than not in casual/sw&d situations. Sorry for the low-light pic, its all I got right now.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 Welcome!  Nice choice, hope to see more photos soon.

post #17083 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

I have always liked these s. oceans! I have not handled it physically, that screw-in crown, ist it smooth? 

Welcome! Also emerged from lurking recently. Nice piece! Omega makes some fine chronographs, imho.
post #17084 of 34990
gold is actually presently trading higher than platinum is, per ounce, pure. the difference being that platinum watches are .950 plat and .050 other metals (occasionally .900/.100), and the gold in watched is usually .750 gold and .250 other metals (if its 18k, 14 would be .585/.415). but more importantly, as stated above, platinum is a much more difficult metal to work with, and as well, it is also an image thing.
post #17085 of 34990
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post


There's precious metals, and then there's Patek and their eye-watering suggested retail prices for their timepieces:

3940j is $56,900
3940g is $59,500
3940p is $71,300

I traded in one of my Calatravas to acquire the 3940p, but despite this and the 3940p being pre-owned it still cost me a pretty chunk of change. So yeah the 3940p was kind of an end-game watch... For my wallet haha!

Shocking, but interesting! There goes the Ole' 401smile.gif     

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread