or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1117

post #16741 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

They had a 40mm watch out years ago and I tried it.  I didn't notice a comfort improvement over the regular sized PAMs that were 42 & 44.  Also, I don't think I would purchase what might be considered a "Mid sized" PAM, as if I ever got tired of it and wanted to sell/trade it, its smaller size would probably reduce its resale value and/or reduce the ease of finding another buyer.  I really like the design of the Luminor but I think its just not a watch for me. 

the 40mm panerais arent worth getting into. I knew far too many guys that were leery on the 44mm size so they bought the 40mm, and after getting used to the size, really wishing they had bought a 44mm and selling the 40 at a huge loss to fund a full size. Years ago when i was heavily into panerais and buying/selling a ton, i bought my wife a PAM49 (40mm) she still has it, never wears it though. I replaced the pink gator strap and put it on a standard brown calf so i can wear it. Its boring. If youre going to get into panerais, it kinda has to be 44mm. If its not for you, its not for you. Thankfully, theres PLENTY of other watches out there wink.gif
post #16742 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lol, my 112 is the first watch i have ever had without a date. even after almost 3 months i still glance at it numerous times during the day to check the date.

its always ffffuuuu.gif and then i check my cell phone.
but i find the watch much more pleasing aesthetically without the date.
The first time this happens in a day, you should write the date down on a little note card that you keep in your pocket. Then you will have the date handy.
post #16743 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

The first time this happens in a day, you should write the date down on a little note card that you keep in your pocket. Then you will have the date handy.

always the simplistic, yet wise, innovator, dopey.
post #16744 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post


the 40mm panerais arent worth getting into. I knew far too many guys that were leery on the 44mm size so they bought the 40mm, and after getting used to the size, really wishing they had bought a 44mm and selling the 40 at a huge loss to fund a full size.... If youre going to get into panerais, it kinda has to be 44mm. If its not for you, its not for you. Thankfully, theres PLENTY of other watches out there wink.gif

Hi Derek,

 

Thanks for confirming that as I thought, the 40s aren't really worth getting into and that they sell at a huge loss. In addition to my comfort issues, their bulkiness (creating high visability to my boss and clients) means they aren't really ideal around the office.  I like the design of the PAMs and they look great on many of "our regulars" here at SF, but they just aren't for me.  As you mentioned (and as my wife fears), thankfully there are plenty of other watches out there!  cheers.gif

post #16745 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Derek,

Thanks for confirming that as I thought, the 40s aren't really worth getting into and that they sell at a huge loss. In addition to my comfort issues, their bulkiness (creating high visability to my boss and clients) means they aren't really ideal around the office.  I like the design of the PAMs and they look great on many of "our regulars" here at SF, but they just aren't for me.  As you mentioned (and as my wife fears), thankfully there are plenty of other watches out there!  cheers.gif

Dino, have you looked at the 42mm Radiomir 337 or 338, or are you only looking at Luminors? They are very light and comfortable, and basically wear like 38-39mm dress watches.

I walked through the diamond district today and saw the Rolex ceramic submariner 116610LV with green dial in a window. Tried it on and was honestly blown away by the aesthetics and overall fit and finish of the watch. Never thought I would own a Rolex, but man half of my brain is furiously at work trying to come up with some justification for acquiring this piece. Scoured google images and just could not find a pic that captures the true depth of the green, but this one is ok:

post #16746 of 35996
Saw this one in the wild today, curious what others think about it. Model is Patek 5205G. I liked it but didnt love the three different windows at the top, I think I prefer the cleaner JLC MUT:

post #16747 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post

The one on the right today. 

 

 

Beautiful straps. Did they come with, or did you add them after? If after, where'd you get them and for how much?

post #16748 of 35996
The weekend is here.
Pam 372 on a Kaktus strap.




post #16749 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

Saw this one in the wild today, curious what others think about it. Model is Patek 5205G. I liked it but didnt love the three different windows at the top, I think I prefer the cleaner JLC MUT:

Yeah a little eccentric, but thats Patek flexing its horological musclesicon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #16750 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post


Dino, have you looked at the 42mm Radiomir 337 or 338, or are you only looking at Luminors? They are very light and comfortable, and basically wear like 38-39mm dress watches.

I posted a photo of my 337 upthread. My first luxury watch and I love it. Spent a *long* time looking and musing before pulling the trigger. Went for the 337 because of the smaller size (and didn't like the magnified date on the 40mm Luminors). Would have preferred the 338, but couldn't find one.
post #16751 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant702 View Post

Yeah a little eccentric, but thats Patek flexing its horological musclesicon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

i really like it. the proportions of all the circles are really nice IMO. And I like the windows at the top and how they read in a more European Day Date Month. It's a more modern aesthetic to me, but still quite classic. And I have only seen it in pictures, but the hollow lugs are kind of interesting! the only thing i am not 100% sure about is the 24hr indicator. Unless I am in Vegas I can usually tell if it is day or night. But I guess it is helpful in setting the watch and quickly gives you the military time. I think I have come to prefer this over the 5146, but of course all of this is purely academic for me right now.
post #16752 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

Saw this one in the wild today, curious what others think about it. Model is Patek 5205G. I liked it but didnt love the three different windows at the top, I think I prefer the cleaner JLC MUT:

I'm not a fan of their annual calendar watches. I find the windows at the top distracting. If they did a version without the windows at the top I'd really like it a lot. I'd love a simpler Calatrava with a moon phase indicator.
post #16753 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelman 17 View Post

Saw this one in the wild today, curious what others think about it. Model is Patek 5205G. I liked it but didnt love the three different windows at the top, I think I prefer the cleaner JLC MUT:


I used to think it nice, but have you handled it IRL? Oddly enough, feels and looks toy-like... very unusual for a PP!

The dial is very "flat", the watch is a little lighter than I expected, and the bezel proportions are a bit strange with the dial concentric circles going on.

While I have only seen photos and not handled it IRL (and likely never will...), IMO the best looking annual calendar from the house of PP would be the recent Tiffany-only edition. nod[1].gif
post #16754 of 35996
Speaking of which. I also saw a JLC master control perpetual calendar in WG. Absolutely amazing and at 37mm a very well proportioned watch. Not sure if this model is still made but very lusty.
post #16755 of 35996
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post

Dino, have you looked at the 42mm Radiomir 337 or 338, or are you only looking at Luminors? They are very light and comfortable, and basically wear like 38-39mm dress watches.

I walked through the diamond district today and saw the Rolex ceramic submariner 116610LV with green dial in a window. Tried it on and was honestly blown away by the aesthetics and overall fit and finish of the watch. Never thought I would own a Rolex, but man half of my brain is furiously at work trying to come up with some justification for acquiring this piece. Scoured google images and just could not find a pic that captures the true depth of the green, but this one is ok:


Hi Johan,

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, I greatly prefer the look of the Luminor to the Radiomir. Therefore, I've never tried a Radiomir.

I like the new Subs. As for the green one, the dial is nice, however I just don't think the colored ceramic bezels ( green or the blue) look as good as when they were aluminum. The colors seemed deeper and richer on the aluminum bezel inserts. The bezel in the photo you provided looks much better than the green bezel actually looks in real life. So even though I like the green dial, if I got a Sub I'd go with a black one unless they are able to really improve the color of the ceramics. Just my 2 cents.
Edited by Dino944 - 1/11/13 at 7:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread