or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1103

post #16531 of 35582
Wearing a new arrival today.

Annual calendar + in-house chronograph. nod[1].gif

post #16532 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWu View Post

Wearing a new arrival today.
Annual calendar + in-house chronograph. nod[1].gif

 

Congrats on the new arrival, don't think I've seen that one before but I really like it!

post #16533 of 35582
Can anybody provide any information for the following watch? I do not know much about
Alfred Dunhill watches. I am familiar with Alfred Dunhill cases, attaché cases. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Alfred Dunhill Baby Facet Ladies' Rectangular 40 Diamond Watch with Stainless Steel Band
Model # DQ1998Z

The pictures of the watch can be found by clicking on my profile.
Again, thank you for your help and input!




Edited by Dadaa - 1/3/13 at 10:57am
post #16534 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

Longines Heritage 1942 Chrono is a pretty damn sweet watch
I think the Silver Arrow was nice as well, though I believe it's been discontinued:

longinessilverarrow385m.jpg
post #16535 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

What do you guys think about the PP Tophat?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I like it, and the condition at least in the photo is excellent!  I have often thought that if I got a Patek I would choose a Gondolo or some other rectangular model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I don't have any and that maybe I should.

If you don't have a rectangular watch, I highly recommend adding one you your collection.  I love having non-round dress watches.  At times seem a bit more formal and unexpected.  They also look and wear differently than round watches.  You don't have to go very large for them still to look modern.   I wear round sport watches most of the week so if I dress up for an evening out it feels a bit more special to put on a non-round watch.  Maybe like if you wear sneakers much of the week and then you put on a pair of bespoke shoes for nice event.  Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post

Hi Guys I need some advice, I want to buy one of these 2 watches, and would like to know which you would choose above the other and why.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

 

 

 

 

 

 Go for the one on the leather band.  Although, I'd look for one without the date cutting up the number 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Wearing this one today.

1000

 Great watch.  My LV doesn't get enough wrist time but its one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Or, alternatively, they should have chosen to cover the date aperture. I would suggest expanding your search, personally.

 +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post


Would love to hear an explanation of cut numerals, radial flips, and other obvious dial imperfections on so many watches in the market. My best guess is that they want to maintain a level of dissatisfaction in their customers in order to sell more watches in the future.

Before I really got into collecting, I thought not giving a watch a date function was just a cost saving measure. Now I recognize how often the symmetry of a dial is lost due to a date function. Its really quite sad what a mess companies often make of a dial just to put in a date window.  I think most companies believe adding a date for practicality's sake increases the number of potential buyers.  Just one example, but the Rolex Daytona has been subject to lots criticism for not having a date.  Just research it on TZ.  When Rolex used the Zenith El Primero as a base people ranted about them not making use of the date function that the movement has.  Then some people bitched that the inhouse movement didn't give a date.  I've also seen a ton of posts about people selling them after a short time because they found they can't live with a watch that doesn't have a date function.  So sadly, I think its a bit of management pandering to the masses who complain when a watch doesn't have a date.  I think collectors or those with an interest in design are the ones that more often choose watches without a date.   

post #16536 of 35582
Been being fussy over straps lately.

post #16537 of 35582
Second and Third Line, crossposted



post #16538 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWu View Post

Wearing a new arrival today.
Annual calendar + in-house chronograph. nod[1].gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Never seen this watch before but I like it.
post #16539 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincefb View Post

u2apy6y7.jpg
Now yer talkin' fing02[1].gif
post #16540 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincefb View Post

a8yzu7yz.jpg

Sharp!
post #16541 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I like it, and the condition at least in the photo is excellent!  I have often thought that if I got a Patek I would choose a Gondolo or some other rectangular model.
If you don't have a rectangular watch, I highly recommend adding one you your collection.  I love having non-round dress watches.  At times seem a bit more formal and unexpected.  They also look and wear differently than round watches.  You don't have to go very large for them still to look modern.   I wear round sport watches most of the week so if I dress up for an evening out it feels a bit more special to put on a non-round watch.  Maybe like if you wear sneakers much of the week and then you put on a pair of bespoke shoes for nice event.  Just my 2 cents.

I'm thinking of getting rectangular watch for fancier evening events. I've tried on the JLC Reverso Ultrathin but didn't like it enough to pay the $$$$. Similarly, I have considered the Lange Cabaret but it is tough to justify the price tag. So lately I've been browsing vintage watches to see if anything interesting at a fair price pops up.
post #16542 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I'm thinking of getting rectangular watch for fancier evening events. I've tried on the JLC Reverso Ultrathin but didn't like it enough to pay the $$$$. Similarly, I have considered the Lange Cabaret but it is tough to justify the price tag. So lately I've been browsing vintage watches to see if anything interesting at a fair price pops up.

How about a Zenith Port Royal or a IWC Da Vinci the later seems to be a 2 hand bargain.

I also really like Roger Dubuis La Monegasques in the base version, only problem is, it's HUGE.
post #16543 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I'm thinking of getting rectangular watch for fancier evening events. I've tried on the JLC Reverso Ultrathin but didn't like it enough to pay the $$$$. Similarly, I have considered the Lange Cabaret but it is tough to justify the price tag. So lately I've been browsing vintage watches to see if anything interesting at a fair price pops up.

Do any of the Carter Tanks strike your fancy?
post #16544 of 35582
I think Cartier does the best looking rectangular watches - Tank Francaise or Americaine or classic Santos. I'd frankly choose one of those over an uncomplicated Reverso.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Before I really got into collecting, I thought not giving a watch a date function was just a cost saving measure. Now I recognize how often the symmetry of a dial is lost due to a date function. Its really quite sad what a mess companies often make of a dial just to put in a date window.  I think most companies believe adding a date for practicality's sake increases the number of potential buyers.  Just one example, but the Rolex Daytona has been subject to lots criticism for not having a date.  Just research it on TZ.  When Rolex used the Zenith El Primero as a base people ranted about them not making use of the date function that the movement has.  Then some people bitched that the inhouse movement didn't give a date.  I've also seen a ton of posts about people selling them after a short time because they found they can't live with a watch that doesn't have a date function.  So sadly, I think its a bit of management pandering to the masses who complain when a watch doesn't have a date.  I think collectors or those with an interest in design are the ones that more often choose watches without a date.   

I've seen a surprising amount of focus on the date function on TZ. I don't deny that it's useful to be able to glance down and know the date, especially on an absent minded morning, but I don't see how you can spend thousands of dollars on something with such a blatant aesthetic defect. To me it's almost as purpose defeating as a watch that is wildly inaccurate.
post #16545 of 35582
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

So I have decided I want to be on the hunt for a Daytona produced during the year I was born 1979 - anyone have any suggestions for where the best places to track one down would be? There is no rush and am happy to just monitor the various watch boards but thought the knowledgeable folks here might have even better leads. Feel free to PM as I don't want to waste others' time on the board.
Also if anyone has thoughts on what would be fair for me to expect to pay I would appreciate the info. Thanks much and have a Happy New Year.

Just wanted to resurface my question if any of the resident forum experts have thoughts. Thanks in advance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread