or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1094

post #16396 of 39197
My latest acquisition, an IWC devil.gif:




Together with my other favorite black-dial watch:


Yes, it fits under the cuffs:


This version was inspired by the original Portofino 5251 and the 5250 pocket watch from the 1970s (not my pic):



Together with the rest of my Christmas haul:


Edited by HEPennypacker - 12/29/12 at 11:57am
post #16397 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Is that your JLC on TZ today?

Yep, that one is mine. Styleforum discounts will of course be given!
post #16398 of 39197
Thread Starter 
That fantasy vision of GO being a poor man's Lange is so twisted it's not even funny. Yet, some WIS like to perpetuate this concept. GO is GO with its own DNA (which lineage traces back to the same as Lange as we all know) and has evolved into its own aesthetic , while keeping the teutonic roots of Glashutte watchmaking design. It has a sportier design, slightly more industrial and less dressy than AL&S. It's just a different watch. I don't hear people saying : don't buy a BMW because it's really not a Bentley. Different engine, different price point. Like the watches on their own merits - or not. No need to constantly come back to the GO vs AL&S as if that was some sort a binary choice. I hear sometimes people saying stuff like that for Omega vs Rolex and it also makes my eyes roll.

Believe it or not, I know some people who like both GO and AL&S, who like both Omega and Rolex. Crazy, I know !

/ rant
post #16399 of 39197
I like both GO and ALS, and I don't think anyone is arguing that GO is illegitimate. The question is whether the PML and Lange 1 serve difference purposes. If you have both a Lange 1 and a PML, would you wear both? They have similar aesthetics and having both seems redundant IMO. Thus, given an expressed preference for a Lange 1, the wiser course seems to be to skip the PML and put the money toward a Lange 1.
post #16400 of 39197
I personally think that Lange has a certain restraint in its designs that I don't find in GO maybe because of its logo. That said, a couple of GOs from 2-3 years back were very very nice and I would have bought one of those had it been available in SS.
post #16401 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Agreed:
356utconbraceletnw1.jpg

 


But I like to keep 'em ghetto:
dsc8093k.jpg

 

 

Sinn's pilot's line and pilots watches in general look just about perfect on a NATO/NATO style strap. I prefer the slightly thicker Zulu straps but your above image sure makes a strong case for the original NATO. I always cringe when I hear folks say NATO straps look cheap. They may not be ideal with a suit but that's not the idea either. Kinda like a Mil-Sub...a tool watch looks great with a utilitarian strap.

 

It's such a perfect image! Well done.

post #16402 of 39197
Those IWCs are awesome. Now I totally want to find this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker View Post

post #16403 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

I personally think that Lange has a certain restraint in its designs that I don't find in GO maybe because of its logo. That said, a couple of GOs from 2-3 years back were very very nice and I would have bought one of those had it been available in SS.

The current base Lange 1 models are certainly restrained, but go further into conservative and austere territory IMO. Don't see myself wearing gold on silver until I'm at least 50, and would not consider silver on silver under any circumstances. Reminds me too much of my first watch, a Tag Heuer. Can't get on board with most JLC masters for the same reason.
post #16404 of 39197

The only leather NATO I like - Gunny:

 

 

post #16405 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

1. avoid ugly fat sister of Lange 1
2. exchange MC for MUT Moon (IMO PG > SS) or Master RDM (preferable)
3. save for 5513
4. get 5513
5. done!

this. though i don't feel as harshly toward the Pano Lunar. In fact I like it a lot, though thought it was thick and the bezel too thin. a bit industrial feeling to me. Tried on the MUT moon and thought it really sang in pink gold. 5513 or even one of the last-gen no dates next. Actually this is very similar to the decision-making process I've been going through. Though the RO has thrown it a bit out of whack. as does the sudden urge (speaking of guns) for an AyA no. 2.
post #16406 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitsworth View Post

Those IWCs are awesome. Now I totally want to find this:

Yeah I would definitely jump on the original Portofino moonphase for the right price.
post #16407 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWu View Post

My collection is in constant flux, but this one seems to be the cornerstone...

[...]
inlove.gif
Nice 1655... despite its visual impairment! wink.gif
post #16408 of 39197
Seriously? Ridiculous! Congrats. Great pickup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker View Post

My latest acquisition, an IWC devil.gif:


Together with my other favorite black-dial watch:

Yes, it fits under the cuffs:

This version was inspired by the original Portofino 5251 and the 5250 pocket watch from the 1970s:

Together with the rest of my Christmas haul:
post #16409 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


Sinn's pilot's line and pilots watches in general look just about perfect on a NATO/NATO style strap. I prefer the slightly thicker Zulu straps but your above image sure makes a strong case for the original NATO. I always cringe when I hear folks say NATO straps look cheap. They may not be ideal with a suit but that's not the idea either. Kinda like a Mil-Sub...a tool watch looks great with a utilitarian strap.

It's such a perfect image! Well done.
Exactly — you don't wear a military-derived watch at a black-tie event, and you don't wear a Calatrava for heli-skiing. It's easy enough to confuse "inexpensive" with "cheap", but good design is good design. Horses for courses, right?
post #16410 of 39197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

That fantasy vision of GO being a poor man's Lange is so twisted it's not even funny. Yet, some WIS like to perpetuate this concept. GO is GO with its own DNA (which lineage traces back to the same as Lange as we all know) and has evolved into its own aesthetic , while keeping the teutonic roots of Glashutte watchmaking design. It has a sportier design, slightly more industrial and less dressy than AL&S. It's just a different watch. I don't hear people saying : don't buy a BMW because it's really not a Bentley. Different engine, different price point. Like the watches on their own merits - or not. No need to constantly come back to the GO vs AL&S as if that was some sort a binary choice. I hear sometimes people saying stuff like that for Omega vs Rolex and it also makes my eyes roll.
Believe it or not, I know some people who like both GO and AL&S, who like both Omega and Rolex. Crazy, I know !
/ rant

You seem like a good guy, and if you own a Pano hopefully you enjoy it. GO makes a very good quality watch and I would consider owning some form of Senator or a watch that doesn't look like a tribute to the Lange 1. I don't own a Lange 1 or a GO, so I have no axe to grind. 

 

IMHO the Lange 1 was a ground breaking design and the Pano wasn't.  Its not a copy, but come on, you can clearly see where they got the idea for the dial design.  In addtion, I've met people that said with a Pano they got Lange 1 styling at a significantly reduced price...so doesn't that indirectly say that even some Pano buyers are choosing it, because in your own words its a ,"Poor man's Lange."  I don't think anyone questions the teutonic roots of the GO, but for me and several other watch collectors the Pano just feels like a watch that pays tribute to the Lange 1.  It lacking originality or that something special that makes it stand out on its own without being compared to a Lange 1.  

 

Your BMW/Bentley comparison in respect to a Lange 1/Pano seems rather weak, as neither BMW nor Bentley makes a product that attemtps to look like the other.  As a side issue I don't know if you randomly chose the 2 to compare or if you were using them because you thought BMW owns Bentley, they don't.  BMW owns Rolls Royce, its Volkswagen that owns Bentley. 

 

When you say, GO has its own DNA...and has evolved into its own aesthetic...that applies more to the Senators than the Panos.  I never compare the Senator Chronometer to a Richard Lange or Saxonia.  Now in case you think I'm a fan of Lange and a hater of GO...I think GO does a better job of making other lines outside of the Pano that are very attractive...while I find the Lange 1 is really the only watch thats really enticing from Lange. I find most other round Lange's a bit boring...so maybe on some level Lange is a bit of a one trick pony. 

 

If someone loves a Pano and is getting it because they love it (not because they see it as a cheaper alternative to a Lange 1) then by all means they should get it.  If their reason for buying it is because its cheaper and gives them a sort of Lange 1 look, then perhaps they shouldn't buy it.  Maybe some people are easily satisfied with by their second or third choice.  However, if I bought one watch as a less expensive substitute for what I really wanted, it would never satisfy me and I would still be thinking about the watch I truly wanted.  Life is too short to settle for substitutes. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread