or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1093

post #16381 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master ControlD).

Is that your JLC on TZ today?
post #16382 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

Yeah Aqua Terra is a bit boring and standard issue.
I'll look at the Capitan and actually the Dual Time in person (like everything but the bracelet in pics).
Unaware of Habring, will read up. Capeland is 44mm so no go.
Longines was also on the map but I only saw the Heritage Chrono in person. I'd want a bracelet for sweat/water so Conquest Heritage might not work.
Thanks.

Oops, sorry about the Capeland size.

Another few recommendations after I did a bit of thinking - there are worse ways to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon...

- Breitling Montbrillant 01 - non-douchey Breitling with a good history and a decent in-house movement, looks fantastic on a sports leather strap or bracelet



- Sinn 356 Pilot - nice watch in a good size, the Sinn bracelet is very nice too



- Nomos Club Automat - the included cordovan strap is waterproof and wears well with moisture



- Junghans Chronoscope on the Junghans mesh bracelet - completely left-field but fulfils your requirements with plenty of $$$ to spare... whatever you lose in terms of brand recognition you IMO make up in design


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Either the GO PML:

Or, conversely, the JLC MUT Moon:

The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.
All three options have been swimming around my head for the past week or so, and I am at something of an impasse. It makes the most sense to me to sell the JLC MC and pick up the JLC MUT Moon. I would like a MUT Moon, and just do not see the point of owning a MC and a MUT Moon. On the other hand... the GO PML is such a beautiful watch, and it has always pulled at the heartstrings. However, recent wristshots of it have been a bit of a let down, and I wonder if I will always simply wish it was a Lange.
Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours biggrin.gif).


1. avoid ugly fat sister of Lange 1
2. exchange MC for MUT Moon (IMO PG > SS) or Master RDM (preferable)
3. save for 5513
4. get 5513
5. done!
post #16383 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:
Either the GO PML:




Long been a grail watch of mine. That prick Socal had one, and I think GDL had one, but that was it. Sadly, Glashutte gets little love around here.
post #16384 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post



Long been a grail watch of mine. That prick Socal had one, and I think GDL had one, but that was it. Sadly, Glashutte gets little love around here.

Oh boy! You guys are getting into Breguet territory! Whos rich? Raise your handsshog[1].gif

post #16385 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


Wow, that's pretty sharp. I never warmed to the leather NATO but that looks quite nice. Beautiful image. Do you have an image that shows the strap a bit clearer?[...]
Thanks! How about these?

dsc9518001.jpg

dsc9516001.jpg

Leather NATOs are a bit of an acquired taste. They don't suit every watch, but I like them on pilot's watches; in fact, I prefer them for looks and comfort to the nylon variety for airplane-ey models.

I don' t like any type of leather strap on a diver's watch, though. Same deal with a gold case or chronograph function on a diver's model — cognitive dissonance.
post #16386 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:
Either the GO PML:

Or, conversely, the JLC MUT Moon:

The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.
All three options have been swimming around my head for the past week or so, and I am at something of an impasse. It makes the most sense to me to sell the JLC MC and pick up the JLC MUT Moon. I would like a MUT Moon, and just do not see the point of owning a MC and a MUT Moon. On the other hand... the GO PML is such a beautiful watch, and it has always pulled at the heartstrings. However, recent wristshots of it have been a bit of a let down, and I wonder if I will always simply wish it was a Lange.
Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours biggrin.gif).

I tried the 40mm PML recently and was very impressed. The dial has much more personality and detail than I had thought based on Michael Sandler's sterile photography on TZ. Actually I thought in person it had more character than the Lange 1, which I would not have predicted from pics (though I didn't see the Lange 1 with blue hands, which I understand is pretty rare). My one reservation is that it's a little awkward trying to tell time from it.
post #16387 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

[...]
- Breitling Montbrillant 01 - non-douchey Breitling with a good history and a decent in-house movement, looks fantastic on a sports leather strap or bracelet
- Sinn 356 Pilot - nice watch in a good size, the Sinn bracelet is very nice too
- Nomos Club Automat - the included cordovan strap is waterproof and wears well with moisture
- Junghans Chronoscope on the Junghans mesh bracelet - completely left-field but fulfils your requirements with plenty of $$$ to spare... whatever you lose in terms of brand recognition you IMO make up in design
[...]
Spot-on advice all-around here. These are non-trendy designs that should age well... even the Breitbling! It's great that they did it in 40 mm.
post #16388 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Thanks! How about these?
dsc9518001.jpg
dsc9516001.jpg
Leather NATOs are a bit of an acquired taste. They don't suit every watch, but I like them on pilot's watches; in fact, I prefer them for looks and comfort to the nylon variety for airplane-ey models.
I don' t like any type of leather strap on a diver's watch, though. Same deal with a gold case or chronograph function on a diver's model — cognitive dissonance.

Goddam that's nice.
post #16389 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I'm pretty sure Connery wore a wristwatch in most of his films. 


That Zardoz trailer is fantastic!
post #16390 of 33995

 

post #16391 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Thanks! How about these? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
dsc9518001.jpg
dsc9516001.jpg
Leather NATOs are a bit of an acquired taste. They don't suit every watch, but I like them on pilot's watches; in fact, I prefer them for looks and comfort to the nylon variety for airplane-ey models.
I don' t like any type of leather strap on a diver's watch, though. Same deal with a gold case or chronograph function on a diver's model — cognitive dissonbance.

Perfect, thanks much.
post #16392 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

[...]have i mentioned that i hate you? wink.gif that looks fantastic. I have a dozen natos, but no leather natos.[...]
Awww... too kind.

I like 'em even more on matte-dial ones, though:

dsc8973r.jpg

Because I still think the bracelet is the best look on glossy:

dsc8075p.jpg
post #16393 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

I'm looking for a single watch I can wear in the pool/river/ocean but still wear with jacket/tie. Realized this while on vacation.
Omega Aqua Terra mid size 38.5mm seems to fit my wrist well and I like the idea of the 8500 coaxial. Would want to get some straps for non-sport.
Anyone wear theirs on a strap?

Can't believe how much Omega cost now and the connection to 007 is silly but not enough to dissuade me.
Any others in the range I should consider? Not keen on desk diving. Thanks.

I find the 007 editions just plain silly.  The AT isn't a bad choice.  I'd probably favor a Rolex Explorer...but similar idea.  Perhaps consider something pre-owned.  I like some of the IWCs from the late 90s early 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:
Either the GO PML:

Or, conversely, the JLC MUT Moon:

The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.

Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours biggrin.gif).

I'd rather see you with a great vintage Sub, or trading your current JLC for a MUT Moon.

 

You know my thoughts on the GO Pano line  eek.gif.  I've handled several Lange 1s and Panos, and no matter how many times I look at them, the GO Pano just doesn't compare to a Lange 1.  To me the Lange 1 is one of the most beautiful designs and it defines Lange as a brand.  The Pano has a likeness that just seems like a sad tribute.  To me the Lange 1 is like a stunningly beautiful woman and the Pano is her fat, cross eyed sister with a mustache.  I'd rather concentrate on other fine watches (new or vintage), and wait until I'm ready/able to get a Lange 1 rather than settle for the Lange's homely sister.  Sorry, but you knew I'd have to be brutally honest with my impression of the Pano. 

post #16394 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

- Sinn 356 Pilot - nice watch in a good size, the Sinn bracelet is very nice too
Agreed:

356utconbraceletnw1.jpg

But I like to keep 'em ghetto:

dsc8093k.jpg
post #16395 of 33995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

To me the Lange 1 is one of the most beautiful designs and it defines Lange as a brand.  The Pano has a likeness that just seems like a sad tribute.  To me the Lange 1 is like a stunningly beautiful woman and the Pano is her fat, cross eyed sister with a mustache.  I'd rather concentrate on other fine watches (new or vintage), and wait until I'm ready/able to get a Lange 1 rather than settle for the Lange's homely sister.  Sorry, but you knew I'd have to be brutally honest with my impression of the Pano. 

+1. I also considered the PML, but knew that I'd always wish it were a Lange 1. So I'll just hold out for the Lange 1 (waiting his half the fun anyway!).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread