or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1071

post #16051 of 35635
Nice. Glad to see Oris get some love here. I like some of the Oris designs and the classic pointer date is one they do well IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsosa View Post

From yesterday, cross thread.. old school baby! Not on you guy's level yet with the baller watches.. my goal is a Patek Phillipe..if the wife lets me, lol..for now is this vintage beaut that my Dad passed down to me a couple years back..still keeps awesome time and only loses a couple minutes a day..and still looks pretty new.. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #16052 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat View Post


Two of my medium-term grail watches side-by-side! drool.gif

Do you prefer the Lange 1 or the Journe? I've always leaned Journe, but am now moving in the Lange 1 direction because of reliability problems I've heard of with Journe.
post #16053 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

medtech. what watches are in your collection now?

Sold the Calendrier earlier this year. My only recent addition was the 15202 RO about two months ago, and frankly, it's been on my wrist for about 55 of the last 60 days. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker View Post

Two of my medium-term grail watches side-by-side! drool.gif
Do you prefer the Lange 1 or the Journe? I've always leaned Journe, but am now moving in the Lange 1 direction because of reliability problems I've heard of with Journe.

I have a strong preference for Lange - designs with impact, technical prowess, fantastic wrist presence, obsessive built quality, superlative finishing and outstanding customer service. If I could have only one watch it would likely be the Lange 1 MP.

As for Journe, I think I may like the idea and aesthetics of Journe more than the actual watch on my wrist. I've owned and subsequently sold two (Calendrier and Chronometre Souverain), and as much as I enjoyed looking at them, I didn't actually wear them that frequently, oftentimes selecting a Lange in its place. One word on Journe quality - although I didn't experience any issues myself, both watches sold to two different collectors required factory servicing within several months of sale. While the experience frustrated me since the watches were problem-free while in my possession, both buyers seemed to accept factory servicing as an integral part of the Journe ownership experience. Having said all this, I suspect that the original Resonance may find its way to me at some point. There's just something magical about that watch.
post #16054 of 35635

I've never owned a Journe, but as a few people I've known that owned them had various issues requiring repeat visits tot the repair center, and each eventually tired of that and sold them.  One of the former owners said, "They are beautiful but unreliable.  So make sure you put $$$ aside for service issues once its off warranty." 

 

I like some of their simpler designs, but for the kind of money their watches cost who wants to have the watch going back and forth to repair centers rather than having it get wrist time.  So for that reason alone, I'd rather have a Lange, Patek, or something else that will spend more time on my wrist than the repair center.

 

Hey Medtech,

 

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 15202.  I love mine and much like yours, mine has hardly left my wrist since I got it. 

post #16055 of 35635
Great looking watch. I also have a soft spot for Oris. It was my first automatic.

Looks great on you too

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsosa View Post

From yesterday, cross thread.. old school baby! Not on you guy's level yet with the baller watches.. my goal is a Patek Phillipe..if the wife lets me, lol..for now is this vintage beaut that my Dad passed down to me a couple years back..still keeps awesome time and only loses a couple minutes a day..and still looks pretty new..
post #16056 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

I imagine most strapmakers will. ABP probably will. I'm sure April in Paris would as well since they're as bespoke as you can get... though at a price. I wasn't crazy about either though.
Trying Camille Fournet now and they're super responsive on email so worth checking. I tend to think the'd do it since they can sew one of their buckles in for you.
I'm surprised the buckle doesn't have a spring or screw.
Very impressed with CF recently on a custom ostrich strap order; excellent company to deal with.

No complaints about the strap itself, either:

post #16057 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


dot.jpg Very impressed with CF recently on a custom ostrich strap order; excellent company to deal with.
No complaints about the strap itself, either:

 

very nice ..i like it!

post #16058 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat View Post

I have a strong preference for Lange - designs with impact, technical prowess, fantastic wrist presence, obsessive built quality, superlative finishing and outstanding customer service. If I could have only one watch it would likely be the Lange 1 MP.
As for Journe, I think I may like the idea and aesthetics of Journe more than the actual watch on my wrist. I've owned and subsequently sold two (Calendrier and Chronometre Souverain), and as much as I enjoyed looking at them, I didn't actually wear them that frequently, oftentimes selecting a Lange in its place. One word on Journe quality - although I didn't experience any issues myself, both watches sold to two different collectors required factory servicing within several months of sale. While the experience frustrated me since the watches were problem-free while in my possession, both buyers seemed to accept factory servicing as an integral part of the Journe ownership experience. Having said all this, I suspect that the original Resonance may find its way to me at some point. There's just something magical about that watch.

Thanks for your thoughts on the two. Journe's aesthetics are indeed quite appealing, but the points you make about Lange are why I've been leaning in that direction. Perhaps the Journe build quality will improve over time, but Lange does it properly in the present. Plus, aesthetically, the Lange 1 MP certainly does not fail to impress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

but for the kind of money their watches cost who wants to have the watch going back and forth to repair centers rather than having it get wrist time

Agreed.
post #16059 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Very impressed with CF recently on a custom ostrich strap order; excellent company to deal with.
No complaints about the strap itself, either:

I have that watch and an ostrich strap had never occurred to me. Nice option to casualize the piece.
post #16060 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Very impressed with CF recently on a custom ostrich strap order; excellent company to deal with.
No complaints about the strap itself, either:
 

 

Love this pic on the typewriter

post #16061 of 35635
Has anyone seen the Radiomir California 3 Days yet?

I got the new Tourneau catalog this week (hey they're good for something!) and that piece really caught my eye.

47mm is probably too big for me, and this is one that I'd rather NOT have a date function, but I have always liked Cali dials...


post #16062 of 35635
Agree, date is all wrong there. Don't think I like the overly faux patina much, at least how it looks in the photo.
post #16063 of 35635


More and bigger pics (including movement) and details here.
Same movement, different case and dial, here.
post #16064 of 35635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Very impressed with CF recently on a custom ostrich strap order; excellent company to deal with.
No complaints about the strap itself, either: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Has anyone seen the Radiomir California 3 Days yet?
I got the new Tourneau catalog this week (hey they're good for something!) and that piece really caught my eye.
47mm is probably too big for me, and this is one that I'd rather NOT have a date function, but I have always liked Cali dials... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

i actually kinda like it.
post #16065 of 35635
Thanks, guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker View Post

I have that watch and an ostrich strap had never occurred to me. Nice option to casualize the piece.
Yeah, I don't get a lot of use from the original alligator one... the 8-day movement makes the watch a bit busy and thick to be a strictly-dress item for me, but I love it for casual wear with textured stuff like cashmere, wool, linen and denim.

I get the most use out of Nomos shell cordovan, though:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread