or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1043

post #15631 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


I would go with a Stowa Marine Original at that price point!

 

Thanks for the info.  That is a nice looking watch! 

post #15632 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

I really have no problem with the date at that position, but I do have a problem with the fact that it cuts off some of the IIII; just goes to show that the watch is based on a calibre not made for it. I am not a big fan of cutoff numbers in general (not a deal breaker, it depends on the watch), but I think that that is a pretty egregious example of it.


for me, it really depends on the watch. sometimes, i really like cutaway pieces of the dial, if it jives with the look of the watch. other times, not so much.
post #15633 of 34934
off topic, but for you moonphase lovers, thought this was an interesting article/video -- much more going on with the moon than our watches show (well not my watches, I don't have anything with a moonphase yet).

I agree with Newcomer, really don't like the date window and how it cuts off the IIII. Disagree with Cylon -- I dig the rivets. I once had a strange aversion to the Royal Oak because of the screws and its shape, but now I inlove.gif it so much.

you guys are cracking me up -- the PML is on my radar as is the MUT39, and I was deciding between a 14060 and Speedie before I ended up with the Speedie.
post #15634 of 34934

great minds think alike or fools seldom differ?

post #15635 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmittonz View Post

I was looking at the 1931 Tribute to Reverso US Edition and thought it looked pretty interesting. However, it got me to wondering what other options there are at that price point. I'm just trying to expand my horizons so I'm open to just about any suggestions you may have.

The 1931 Tribute Reverso is a great watch. In its price range it's tough to match (much less) beat its level of quality. Also since you other watches are round it gives you diversity in your collection with regard to shape. I really like have variety in my collection with shapes, metals, and functions. An Omega Speedy Pro is very nice, but there are several nice chronographs one the market. There is only one company making the Reverso. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
post #15636 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

And I concur with the Speedy Pro suggestion, GREAT watch:

I really have no problem with the date at that position, but I do have a problem with the fact that it cuts off some of the IIII; just goes to show that the watch is based on a calibre not made for it. I am not a big fan of cutoff numbers in general (not a deal breaker, it depends on the watch), but I think that that is a pretty egregious example of it.

Hi Newcomer,

I can certainty understand your issues with the appearance of the cut off Roman numeral IIII. I wonder if it would have been less cut off if they did the number 4 as IV? As the Santos Galbee XL is intended as a daily wearer and not a true dress watch certain compromises are made such as a date window. Their true dress watches such as the Santos Dumont and the Louis Cartier Tank XL do not have dates. However, on the Santos Galbee I think they would lose lots of sales, maybe to Rolex's Datejust if the date were eliminated. I can tell you from some Rolex forums that lots of people bitch about the Daytona not having a date function ( so they won't buy it or they often sell it finding the lack of a date making it too impractical for them for daily wear). Also as the Santos Galbee is one of Cartier's "Relatively affordable" watches it may also appeal to people getting their first good watch, who are not fans of Rolex, who are not familiar with brands such as JLC, and who as newbies are less critical of certain design issues than those who have collected for a while.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the relatively basic ETA movement has been the main factor that kept me from pulling the trigger on one of these. If they ever "Upgrade" it to have an inhouse movement or a movement from JLC, F.Piguet, or Piaget it will go on my short list of "Must haves."
post #15637 of 34934
Have any of you experience with watch movements become magnetized? I have been having a lot of problems lately with my vintage Constellation (1953). It keeps getting magnetized, which throws the timing off, and even when de-gaussed, the regulation is a little bit off. The watchmaker has been de-magnetizing it for me, but he keeps yelling at me for being careless. I assume this is a cell-phone related problem, but as much as I try to keep them apart, it is not that easy. I may give up on wearing this watch as much as it becoming a bit of a pain.
My watchmaker says the only two watches that are safe are the Rolex Millgauss and the IWC Ingeneur as they are in Farraday cages, and because of modern life, e.g., airport scanners, cell phones, laptops, etc., the problem is worse than people think. That seems crazy to me. If it were that bad, more people would be talking about it.
post #15638 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Newcomer,
I can certainty understand your issues with the appearance of the cut off Roman numeral IIII. I wonder if it would have been less cut off if they did the number 4 as IV? As the Santos Galbee XL is intended as a daily wearer and not a true dress watch certain compromises are made such as a date window. Their true dress watches such as the Santos Dumont and the Louis Cartier Tank XL do not have dates. However, on the Santos Galbee I think they would lose lots of sales, maybe to Rolex's Datejust if the date were eliminated. I can tell you from some Rolex forums that lots of people bitch about the Daytona not having a date function ( so they won't buy it or they often sell it finding the lack of a date making it too impractical for them for daily wear). Also as the Santos Galbee is one of Cartier's "Relatively affordable" watches it may also appeal to people getting their first good watch, who are not fans of Rolex, who are not familiar with brands such as JLC, and who as newbies are less critical of certain design issues than those who have collected for a while.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the relatively basic ETA movement has been the main factor that kept me from pulling the trigger on one of these. If they ever "Upgrade" it to have an inhouse movement or a movement from JLC, F.Piguet, or Piaget it will go on my short list of "Must haves."

That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't think there would have been a cut-off if they used IV, or decreased the scale of the numerals a little bit. Other than that, I really like the idea of the watch, and to be honest, I still would probably wear the heck out of it. I really don't have a problem with ETA movements (I prefer in-house, but the serviceability of an ETA movement is always something that is nice) either, just when they are not as well implemented as they could be.

And I guess for me, the date feature is a bit of a hassle. Don't get me wrong, it is nice... But it is also nice to be able to set your watches without worrying about AM and PM, or setting the date at the incorrect time. I think one of my favorite parts about my Speedy is the fact that I just wind it and head out. I can understand the need for it to appeal to the masses though. Funny people complain about the date on the Daytona though! It would make it so much less pure!
post #15639 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

My watchmaker says the only two watches that are safe are the Rolex Millgauss and the IWC Ingeneur as they are in Farraday cages, and because of modern life, e.g., airport scanners, cell phones, laptops, etc., the problem is worse than people think. That seems crazy to me. If it were that bad, more people would be talking about it.
You mean watch collectors care about accuracy? I'll have to look harder at this thread again.
post #15640 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Have any of you experience with watch movements become magnetized? I have been having a lot of problems lately with my vintage Constellation (1953). It keeps getting magnetized, which throws the timing off, and even when de-gaussed, the regulation is a little bit off. The watchmaker has been de-magnetizing it for me, but he keeps yelling at me for being careless. I assume this is a cell-phone related problem, but as much as I try to keep them apart, it is not that easy. I may give up on wearing this watch as much as it becoming a bit of a pain.
My watchmaker says the only two watches that are safe are the Rolex Millgauss and the IWC Ingeneur as they are in Farraday cages, and because of modern life, e.g., airport scanners, cell phones, laptops, etc., the problem is worse than people think. That seems crazy to me. If it were that bad, more people would be talking about it.

I would think you could add Sinn to the list. I have heard of this problem but never experienced it.
post #15641 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


 And we are indeed racing for the PML, although I feel you probably have the edge on this one. I will definitely be the tortoise in the race, moving slow and steady smile.gif.
And you are alone on the Rolex front for now! I think I will go vintage if I go Rolex, and I cannot justify vintage right now I don't think.

 

All my money goes to the baby right now!! censored.gifbiggrin.gif

 

And I dont think id get the PML unless I sold the MUTM

 

For me, the focus is on either the TT1931American, 36mm explorer, or a 5513/14060

 

Second tier would be a Zenith El Primero Striking Tenth, and the PML or maybe the panoreserve


Edited by Cylon - 11/22/12 at 6:02pm
post #15642 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

All my money goes to the baby right now!! censored.gifbiggrin.gif

And I dont think id get the PML unless I sold the MUTM

For me, the focus is on either the TT1931American, 36mm explorer, or a 5513/14060

Second tier would be a Zenith El Primero Striking Tenth, and the PML or maybe the panoreserve

The new Panoreserve is pretty hawt.

And in that case, I think I may have a leg up on you right now. If only I can find a wealthy wife and shed some of this student loan debt...

I saw a Striking Tenth in great condition on TZ for I think ~$6,000, I think it was TZ 95%. I would like the Reverso too, I need to travel to some ADs. Louisiana is a black whole, for, well a lot.
post #15643 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

And I concur with the Speedy Pro suggestion, GREAT watch:

 

 

That's a great combo, how do you like the Speedmaster? I have a JLC Master Control as well (39 mm), but would love to have a second watch, like the Speedmaster, only problem is it might be too large for me.

post #15644 of 34934
I love my Speedy. As much as I adore my MC, I think I have definitely bonded more with the Speedy. It has a great presence on the wrist, and is a joy to wear. That is not to say that my JLC is going anywhere... but whereas I would trade up my JLC, I would not 'trade up' or do any lateral moves with my Speedy (i.e., I would trade my JLC for a JLC MUT Moon, or a RDM, but I would not swap my Speedy for a Submariner, Explorer, etc.). The Speedy also makes an excellent foil for the Master Control. Add a cheap dive watch to the equation, and I cannot think of a situation that you would not be prepared for. Both watches are easily dressed up or down, and while the Speedmaster is great on the weekends, the JLC is about the best work watch I can think of. They are also both watches that won't get many second looks, but I appreciate them more and more every day that I wear them.

What size is your wrist? I am a bit under 7", and the Speedy Pro wears very well. I would say that it wears fairly small for its size.
post #15645 of 34934
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post


That's a great combo, how do you like the Speedmaster? I have a JLC Master Control as well (39 mm), but would love to have a second watch, like the Speedmaster, only problem is it might be too large for me.

Get the reduced (Automatic). Great watch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread