or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 1005

post #15061 of 31209
file-11.jpg
post #15062 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

im not sure i want to lose my fear of guns. frown.gif

If I was working at a jewelry shop (or anything else at a high risk of robbery), I would be ready to shoot, as most robbers around here are eastern block and don't give a fuck.

There was a small watch shop owner, who shot some robbers years ago after being robbed 7 times, even though guns are illegal here, he got of with only the gun charges.
post #15063 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Congrats on a very cool Nautilus! If you mostly do office work it should be durable enough for you. My Dad used a Nautilus as a daily wearer and he worked in an office and he never had issues with it. However, if you are really concerned about durability and if you are tough on watches be careful with that. It's very far from durable compared to a Sub. A friend who had a Nautilus as a daily wearer and was very tough on watches sold his as it just wasn't durable enough for him. It just doesn't stand up to hard knocks like a Rolex (understandably). Every two years or some after all the abuse he put it through in the kitchen of his restaurant, it would start acting up, go in for repairs and it would cost about $2k for the repairs. After 3 or 4 instances he tired of the repairs and costs & sold it.
Best regards,
Dino

Understood, and thank you. Given it is reasonably water resistant and steel not gold, my hope is that I won't damage it but neither will I have to think about protecting it. I don't know whether annual calendars are more delicate than other Nautilus iterations, or whether they are all now tougher than in the past. $1-2k every five or six years is not far off, that's what I was quoted for routine maintenance. I use my kobold, sub, quartz tag, or even g shock for abusive stuff like biking or shooting. Didn't know cooking was a contact sport! Talking to my insurance agent today.

PR
post #15064 of 31209
Anyone have experience of knowledge about Daniel Wellington watches. I saw a few that look nice on Need Supply's website. I'm looking for a clean, simple, but nice looking watch for <300.


http://needsupply.com/mens/accessories/classic-st-andrews.html

http://needsupply.com/mens/accessories/classic-glasgow-62447.html

Also like the look of this chronograph by Military Watch Co.

http://needsupply.com/mens/accessories/mil-tec-iii-chronograph.html


Can I do any better with my budget?
post #15065 of 31209
Briefly off topic: I'm afraid of guns too. It hasn't stopped me from taking several concealed carry classes and owning numerous DAO autopistols. However, I concluded that at this time, it is too much responsibility, I don't want to carry much. I am probably moving to IL, the only ridiculous state in our union with no issue of civilian CCL. Only the bad guys and sparse police are packing.

What's that saying? God made man and woman, colonel colt made them equal.
Guns are, for better or worse, universally our heritage. They defined us.

Be prepared biggrin.gif

post #15066 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by prayingrobot View Post

Guns are, for better or worse, universally our heritage. They defined us.

Is that the American universe you are talking about?
post #15067 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

I think you should. A fear of an inanimate object is irrational at best and dangerous at worst. Choose to fear criminal with guns, or ordinary people with guns, or the gun laws where you live. All depending on your personal beliefs and political leanings. But fear what you know, not what you don't.

maybe fear is not the best word. i respect them. i appreciate their need in society, and im glad the owners here carry. but i have no interest in bearing that responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
file-11.jpg

GREAT, pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

If I was working at a jewelry shop (or anything else at a high risk of robbery), I would be ready to shoot, as most robbers around here are eastern block and don't give a fuck.
There was a small watch shop owner, who shot some robbers years ago after being robbed 7 times, even though guns are illegal here, he got of with only the gun charges.

the shot gun is locked and loaded for anyone behind the counter who may need it.
post #15068 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

If I was working at a jewelry shop (or anything else at a high risk of robbery), I would be ready to shoot, as most robbers around here are eastern block and don't give a fuck.
There was a small watch shop owner, who shot some robbers years ago after being robbed 7 times, even though guns are illegal here, he got of with only the gun charges.

I guess you are referring to MW?
post #15069 of 31209
Back to the reverso today. smile.gif

va2a6y8e.jpg
post #15070 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmass1 View Post

Anyone have experience of knowledge about Daniel Wellington watches. I saw a few that look nice on Need Supply's website. I'm looking for a clean, simple, but nice looking watch for <300.
http://needsupply.com/mens/accessories/classic-st-andrews.html
http://needsupply.com/mens/accessories/classic-glasgow-62447.html
Also like the look of this chronograph by Military Watch Co.
http://needsupply.com/mens/accessories/mil-tec-iii-chronograph.html
Can I do any better with my budget?

You'd probably get more traction in the Poor Man's Watch thread or PMWF.com. Honestly at $300 you are just picking for looks. If you want something automatic, then get an Orient or Seagull or something which has some horological respectability.
post #15071 of 31209
Going to Naples today - wearing no watch at all - a naked feeling...
post #15072 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by prayingrobot View Post


Understood, and thank you. Given it is reasonably water resistant and steel not gold, my hope is that I won't damage it but neither will I have to think about protecting it. I don't know whether annual calendars are more delicate than other Nautilus iterations, or whether they are all now tougher than in the past. $1-2k every five or six years is not far off, that's what I was quoted for routine maintenance. I use my kobold, sub, quartz tag, or even g shock for abusive stuff like biking or shooting. Didn't know cooking was a contact sport! Talking to my insurance agent today.
PR

As long as you aren't using it for really abusive stuff it will probably be fine.  My friend that owned a steel Nautilus use to wear it all the time no matter how abusive the activity, and it just couldn't stand up to it.  If he only had to get it serviced every 5-6 years he wouldn't have cared, and he probably would have kept it.  But it was having to send it back and get repaired every 2 years or so that he grew tired of.  Also that was a while ago and when a regular service without any repairs was probably just under $1,000...so with repairs it was costing him about twice that.  Anyway, congrats and enjoy your new Nautilus.

post #15073 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post


I was always under the impression that the GMT used a different case, but it could simply be that the bezel on the GMT makes the case look different.
I actually like the look of the new explorer two, especially with the white face. However size wise it's simply too big.
Thanks for the compliment BTW.

Hi Hayward,

 

I did a little research and there are a few subtle differences in the cases.  The shoulders protecting the crown are a little narrower on the GMT than on the Sub.  Also, the Sub is .5mm thicker (although I think thats just the case back that is thicker), but that might make the Sub sit slightly higher on the wrist.  Overall, the cases are quite similar, but you were right there were a few differences. 

 

I have tried the new Explorer 2, and I think you are right it, might be a bit too large. However,  I do like its lugs on it as they are more tapered than on the Sub C or GMT C. 

post #15074 of 31209
I know this isn't "watch porn", but thoughts on this watch?

http://www.kentwang.com/accessories/bauhaus-watch.html
post #15075 of 31209
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoiii View Post

I know this isn't "watch porn", but thoughts on this watch?
http://www.kentwang.com/accessories/bauhaus-watch.html

decent, if plain looking, minimalist watch. strap seems a tad cheapy tho. no idea if its worth the 350.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread