or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 993

post #14881 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

lol do they also wear oakleys?
and posting pictures of yourself at CrossFit.
If you guys are being serious, do you guys feel the same way when people use the term "gay" as an insult? (i.e. "say brah you didn't go to the party, thats gay. the beeches were going cray cray" )
That's nice, of you Stitch, hope someone jumps at the opportunity!

1. i have 4 pairs of oakleys

2. i do not have a crossfit

3. it depends on the context. but better safe than sorry on the internet, never know how your words will be taken.

4. my pleasure!

smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Whooo hooo!!!!. I just got my bumper movement Constellation back from servicing (I dropped it off in April frown.gif). One nice thing I learned is that mine is from 1952, which is the first year of the model's introduction. Mine looks like this, except it has a honeycomb dial, rather than the pie-pan. The indexes are the same and they are my favorite part. Case, crown and hands are the same. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have another version, with the pie-pan dial, but that is a regular automatic rather than the bumper movement.

awesome, would love to see a pic of yours now that its back!
post #14882 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

posted a few pages ago. smile.gif
here is another! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
26E932B5-40A8-4C42-953E-A2F1D3BF0592-9673-0000081F6B348BF0.jpg

Beautiful.
post #14883 of 31066
Hey guys, just bought this watch, arrived today!
IMG_0140.jpg
Edited by rexzors21 - 10/25/12 at 12:16pm
post #14884 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post


how did you feel about wiring funds?
I am considering purchasing a watch from italy, but they won't refund VAT, and they want the funds to be wired.
What protection does the buyer have when wiring funds abroad?
Stitch - what protection did you have when wiring that the watch would get to you and work? What if it did not work? or Not as described (NAD)?

 

I'd be afraid to deal with someone outside the US on a major purchase, especially by wire.  It can be a huge headache and expenses if you have to try to track someone down and prosecute them outside of your own state.  Trying to do it on an international level would be very expensive, time consuming, and probably result in nothing (hell, its probably cheaper and easier just to buy another watch than to try to get justice overseas). 

 

If you get lots of references and the person checks out it, and you are comfortable... then you still do it at your own risk.   

 

I'd rather be safe than sorry, and so even if there is a good savings to be had overseas, I wouldn't buy a watch site unseen from another country.  I'd just be too uncomfortable and be concerned that somehow I'd get screwed.  I once bought a watch site unseen.  It was definitely not in the condition that was described and it as a bit of a headach to deal with, but at least it was here in the States.

post #14885 of 31066
Stitch, did you post a positive review of him on watchnet?
post #14886 of 31066
Thread Starter 
To counter-balance that, I bought almost all of my watches from reputable sellers overseas. There are areas of the world where watch companies have made a strong push and where the price arbitrage is really compelling (e.g. SE Asia and Middle East) - which creates grey market opportunities.

Everyone has a different level of aversion for this kind of risk. Even if I feel the risk is very low (from my experience), I understand why some may feel that it's not worth the savings
post #14887 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I'd be afraid to deal with someone outside the US on a major purchase, especially by wire.   Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It can be a huge headache and expenses if you have to try to track someone down and prosecute them outside of your own state.  Trying to do it on an international level would be very expensive, time consuming, and probably result in nothing (hell, its probably cheaper and easier just to buy another watch than to try to get justice overseas). 

If you get lots of references and the person checks out it, and you are comfortable... then you still do it at your own risk.   

I'd rather be safe than sorry, and so even if there is a good savings to be had overseas, I wouldn't buy a watch site unseen from another country.  I'd just be too uncomfortable and be concerned that somehow I'd get screwed.  I once bought a watch site unseen.  It was definitely not in the condition that was described and it as a bit of a headach to deal with, but at least it was here in the States.

i forgot to say, the fact he was in canada made a big difference to me, as opposed to overseas. made me less nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Stitch, did you post a positive review of him on watchnet?

not yet, but i plan on giving him a glowing review wherever i can. class act dude all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

To counter-balance that, I bought almost all of my watches from reputable sellers overseas. There are areas of the world where watch companies have made a strong push and where the price arbitrage is really compelling (e.g. SE Asia and Middle East) - which creates grey market opportunities.
Everyone has a different level of aversion for this kind of risk. Even if I feel the risk is very low (from my experience), I understand why some may feel that it's not worth the savings

true, assuming you know what you are doing.
post #14888 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


i forgot to say, the fact he was in canada made a big difference to me, as opposed to overseas. made me less nervous.
not yet, but i plan on giving him a glowing review wherever i can. class act dude all the way.
true, assuming you know what you are doing.

I think I might feel a little better if it were coming from Canada. I've actually seen some people post that they won't deal with some people in foreign countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

To counter-balance that, I bought almost all of my watches from reputable sellers overseas. There are areas of the world where watch companies have made a strong push and where the price arbitrage is really compelling (e.g. SE Asia and Middle East) - which creates grey market opportunities.
Everyone has a different level of aversion for this kind of risk. Even if I feel the risk is very low (from my experience), I understand why some may feel that it's not worth the savings

You are quite right.  Its all about risk aversion.  There are people that might be incredibly lucky, save huge amounts, and get a great watch.  I just don't think it would be me.  I work in a law office and I see what it often takes to collect funds when business deals go bad.  It can take years to prove, and even then sometimes it can take years to collect a payment.  Hence, if someone gets burned in an overseas transaction they should probably save themselves some time and money and just buy one from an AD rather than try to chase and prosecute some bad guy in a foreign country.   Its all about risk aversion.  If someone has the stomach for that and it works out, it can be great.  If it doesn't work out, it can be a bad feeling knowing your hard earned money is gone. 

post #14889 of 31066
Thread Starter 
What would be the reasons for it not to "work out" ? If it's bad faith on the part of the seller, there's a point where overwhelming positive feedback should bring a high level of confidence that the seller will be acting in good faith and will take a return if customer is unhappy - many of these guys have a lot of goodwill embedded in their reputation and go to great length to keep it spotless. If there's a problem with international shipping, then proper insurance should cover that.
post #14890 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

lol do they also wear oakleys?
and posting pictures of yourself at CrossFit.
If you guys are being serious, do you guys feel the same way when people use the term "gay" as an insult? (i.e. "say brah you didn't go to the party, thats gay. the beeches were going cray cray" )
That's nice, of you Stitch, hope someone jumps at the opportunity!

1. i have 4 pairs of oakleys

2. i do not have a crossfit

3. it depends on the context. but better safe than sorry on the internet, never know how your words will be taken.

4. my pleasure!

smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Whooo hooo!!!!. I just got my bumper movement Constellation back from servicing (I dropped it off in April frown.gif). One nice thing I learned is that mine is from 1952, which is the first year of the model's introduction. Mine looks like this, except it has a honeycomb dial, rather than the pie-pan. The indexes are the same and they are my favorite part. Case, crown and hands are the same. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have another version, with the pie-pan dial, but that is a regular automatic rather than the bumper movement.

awesome, would love to see a pic of yours now that its back!

I wasn't trying to mess with you stitch-o.
post #14891 of 31066

Stitchy, $$ for the AP is saved up so you know! Will buy it next week.

post #14892 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

I wasn't trying to mess with you stitch-o.

inobro smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Stitchy, $$ for the AP is saved up so you know! Will buy it next week.

6a00e55043abd088340133f32c0ae2970b-800wi
post #14893 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

neither do i, unless the guy driving it is a douche.

Indeed wink.gif
post #14894 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexzors21 View Post

Hey guys, just bought this watch, arrived today!
IMG_0140.jpg

His cousin says hello
post #14895 of 31066
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post


His cousin says hello

 

Well done, Sir! Love the color of the leather strap!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread