or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 992

post #14866 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

Was this meant to be funny?
why would that be funny? I don't see the joke in it.

He said he purchased a second hand watch from abroad. I wanted to know if he got the VAT back and what country he purchased it from.
post #14867 of 35718
LOL my bad- jokes on me. I thought you meant second hand, as in smaller-than-minute hand. I thought you were being dismissive of the watch for not having a second hand. A lot of people do that against Panerai...
This goes to say that Stitches' watch looks utterly new; lucky him.
post #14868 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

stitches - what country did you buy your panerai watch second hand from?
Did you get the VAT back?

i purchased it from a seller who had a listing on rolex forum. i think its am american forum, so the watch was listed in US dollars, and i made the wire in USD as well, even though the seller is in canada. so, as far as i can tell, there was no VAT involved. i imagine he didnt charge a VAT as he was selling abroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

why would that be funny? I don't see the joke in it.
He said he purchased a second hand watch from abroad. I wanted to know if he got the VAT back and what country he purchased it from.

i understood you. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

LOL my bad- jokes on me. I thought you meant second hand, as in smaller-than-minute hand. I thought you were being dismissive of the watch for not having a second hand. A lot of people do that against Panerai...
This goes to say that Stitches' watch looks utterly new; lucky him.

lol that is funny. and yes, its pretty much brand new, nary a sign of wear, and had all the original boxes, papers, even the factory stickers and bar codes...
post #14869 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Stitch, I think because of your job selling watches, its certainly reasonable for you to wear your PAM with a SC and tie.  However, its purely a casual sports watch, particularly due to the thickness and size of PAM.  So for myself, I would not be thinking about whether a Panerai in steel or titanium would look better with a SC/suit etc.  I'm not saying people outside the industry can't or shouldn't wear a sports watch with a SC and tie, but then I would probably choose something like a Rolex Daytona, Speedy Pro, or something which is not as chunky or as wide as most PAMs.  So while I understand your reason for choosing steel, I probably would choose a different brand to wear with a SC and tie, or a suit & tie.     

yes, it is certainly a sports watch. i usually wear my JLC squadra hometime with dress attire. but, as you said, within the jewelry industry there is a little more leeway with what watch you wear and how you dress, then again, where i work, no one cares about these things besides me anyways.

but still, even though i know its a sports watch, i rock it with dress attire. thats MAH STEEZ!!!!!!

though i doubt id wear it with a suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

FWIW, I also prefer the duller finish of brushed titanium and brushed steel (1950 models) for the Luminor models. The fact that the Ti models also come with a tobacco dial is the cherry on the cake. Now, for Radiomirs, I think polished steel is a better match

yes, i know. wink.gif
post #14870 of 35718
sidebar - i just heard back from one of the ADs i contacted, who hadnt gotten back to me in over a week, i had given up on him. they are an AD for panerai and he said he can get me the watch NIB fully stamped and with warranty and all that jazz for about 4700 including taxes.

too late for me, but if anyone wants in, id be happy to proxy for ya! lmk.
post #14871 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i purchased it from a seller who had a listing on rolex forum. i think its am american forum, so the watch was listed in US dollars, and i made the wire in USD as well, even though the seller is in canada. so, as far as i can tell, there was no VAT involved. i imagine he didnt charge a VAT as he was selling abroad.
i understood you. smile.gif
lol that is funny. and yes, its pretty much brand new, nary a sign of wear, and had all the original boxes, papers, even the factory stickers and bar codes...

Where da porn at stitchy?
post #14872 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i purchased it from a seller who had a listing on rolex forum. i think its am american forum, so the watch was listed in US dollars, and i made the wire in USD as well, even though the seller is in canada. so, as far as i can tell, there was no VAT involved. i imagine he didnt charge a VAT as he was selling abroad.
i understood you. smile.gif
lol that is funny. and yes, its pretty much brand new, nary a sign of wear, and had all the original boxes, papers, even the factory stickers and bar codes...
how did you feel about wiring funds?
I am considering purchasing a watch from italy, but they won't refund VAT, and they want the funds to be wired.

What protection does the buyer have when wiring funds abroad?

Stitch - what protection did you have when wiring that the watch would get to you and work? What if it did not work? or Not as described (NAD)?
post #14873 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post


how did you feel about wiring funds?
I am considering purchasing a watch from italy, but they won't refund VAT, and they want the funds to be wired.
What protection does the buyer have when wiring funds abroad?
Stitch - what protection did you have when wiring that the watch would get to you and work? What if it did not work? or Not as described (NAD)?

 

If I might stick my two pennr'th in:  if something is used, it is not normally subject to VAT again at resale if it was VAT-paid to start with.  There may be no VAT to refund if this is a private re-seller, who is neither VAT-registered, nor charging VAT in the first place.

 

As for protection, knowing someone's land/office telephone number, and full name from sending the money via a service that requires them to present ID (Western Union etc), helps as a deterrent for them from running off with your money.  But there's got to be a degree of trust involved.  I'd be happier if I'd also spoken to someone in their place of work, and exchanged some emails recording who is going to send what to whom.

post #14874 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

how did you feel about wiring funds?
I am considering purchasing a watch from italy, but they won't refund VAT, and they want the funds to be wired.
What protection does the buyer have when wiring funds abroad?
Stitch - what protection did you have when wiring that the watch would get to you and work? What if it did not work? or Not as described (NAD)?

They shouldn't charge VAT if selling outside of the EU.
post #14875 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post

Every douchebag finance guy I know has a Panerai.

Must be a regional thing. Every douchebag finance guy I know has a cheapo black plastic running watch (über-douches go for the ones that say "Iron Man")

lol do they also wear oakleys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Must be a regional thing. Every douchebag finance guy I know has a cheapo black plastic running watch (über-douches go for the ones that say "Iron Man")

this. the new thing is to "show" your amazing physical strengths. lolz.

and posting pictures of yourself at CrossFit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

stitch - you use the R-word a lot. frown.gif

i am sorry. fixed. i will try to stop. i know its offensive to people, especially to those who have contact with, by family or community, some one who actually has mental retardation. i just forget, and use it freely. its no bueno.

If you guys are being serious, do you guys feel the same way when people use the term "gay" as an insult? (i.e. "say brah you didn't go to the party, thats gay. the beeches were going cray cray" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

sidebar - i just heard back from one of the ADs i contacted, who hadnt gotten back to me in over a week, i had given up on him. they are an AD for panerai and he said he can get me the watch NIB fully stamped and with warranty and all that jazz for about 4700 including taxes.

too late for me, but if anyone wants in, id be happy to proxy for ya! lmk.

That's nice, of you Stitch, hope someone jumps at the opportunity!
post #14876 of 35718
Whooo hooo!!!!. I just got my bumper movement Constellation back from servicing (I dropped it off in April frown.gif). One nice thing I learned is that mine is from 1952, which is the first year of the model's introduction. Mine looks like this, except it has a honeycomb dial, rather than the pie-pan. The indexes are the same and they are my favorite part. Case, crown and hands are the same.


I have another version, with the pie-pan dial, but that is a regular automatic rather than the bumper movement.
post #14877 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Where da porn at stitchy?

posted a few pages ago. smile.gif

here is another!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
26E932B5-40A8-4C42-953E-A2F1D3BF0592-9673-0000081F6B348BF0.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

how did you feel about wiring funds?
I am considering purchasing a watch from italy, but they won't refund VAT, and they want the funds to be wired.
What protection does the buyer have when wiring funds abroad?
Stitch - what protection did you have when wiring that the watch would get to you and work? What if it did not work? or Not as described (NAD)?

well, that is a very good question, i worried about that greatly at first, and less at the end. let me give you a long boring answer.

first off, i am pretty sure, almost certain, anytime someone is shipping out of their country to the US, they should not, and possibly can not, charge you VAT. you should see what is up with that with them. put it on the table clear as can be, and make sure you get a satisfactory answer. i have bought numerous things fro abroad, including a pair of CJs i just bought over the phone yesterday, direct from a CJ store, and i never paid VAT when shipping to the US.

when you wire funds your protection is pretty minimal. the money goes out of your account and into their. direct. not through a CC like with PP, so there is no one to take back the funds, or hold them in case of dispute. you would have to make a whole case about it, and that would probably involve international law, and you would have to track the person down, and prove it is the person that defrauded you..... not a simple task. basically, you are fucked.

so essentially, i had little to no protection.

WHY DID YOU DO IT STICTH??! you may ask.

well, when i first emailed the guy, he replied with his phone number, and i asked him to call me instead. and he did. we spoke for about a half an hour, he was clearly in the watch business, he had over 1k posts on rolex forum and had been around there a while.

then, he gave me his actual name, and told me to google him, and do my research before agreeing to the sale. i did, and i got a bunch of hits from various watch related internet forums and trading sites, and his reputation was sterling. even Warren G here, knew of him and said he was legit. then, when he gave me the wire info, he gave me his full personal name, phone number, address, and banking information.

now, could this have been a con, and someone impersonating him that also had all his info.... not likely. a lot to go through for a relatively small con. but a chance certainly. by the time i decided to pay, i felt through my due diligence i was making a safe choice, and i turned out right. the seller could not be beter guy and i highly recommend him.

basically, when making a person to person transaction cross countries, by wire, the only thing you have is your gut, and the confidence you have in the seller. at present, i ordered a tie from a bespoke italian dude i stumbled upon on tumblr. its very hard to talk with hm, as he is italian and his english is pretty bad. he wants more money because the bank charged him a fee (BS in my opinion, he should have known that when he gave me the price, but that is neither here nor there) and i said only paypal, he said he will get me his paypal info, been 2 days, and nothing.

in this case, i wasnt super confident to beging with, but confident enough, and it was a lot less money, so i did it. might i get screwed? i hope not, but maybe. its unlikely, he sent me swatch set pics and everything, he has a nice website... but still, he could screw me since i have minimal recourse. or he could be bogus entirely. who knows.

so, tl;rd, you need to do your homework and take it from there. PM me if you want to talk further.

smile.gif
post #14878 of 35718

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post


If you guys are being serious, do you guys feel the same way when people use the term "gay" as an insult? (i.e. "say brah you didn't go to the party, thats gay. the beeches were going cray cray" )
 

 

My nephews have combined the two, and use the abusive gem "gaytard".  

post #14879 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

lol do they also wear oakleys?
and posting pictures of yourself at CrossFit.
If you guys are being serious, do you guys feel the same way when people use the term "gay" as an insult? (i.e. "say brah you didn't go to the party, thats gay. the beeches were going cray cray" )
That's nice, of you Stitch, hope someone jumps at the opportunity!

1. i have 4 pairs of oakleys

2. i do not have a crossfit

3. it depends on the context. but better safe than sorry on the internet, never know how your words will be taken.

4. my pleasure!

smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Whooo hooo!!!!. I just got my bumper movement Constellation back from servicing (I dropped it off in April frown.gif). One nice thing I learned is that mine is from 1952, which is the first year of the model's introduction. Mine looks like this, except it has a honeycomb dial, rather than the pie-pan. The indexes are the same and they are my favorite part. Case, crown and hands are the same. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have another version, with the pie-pan dial, but that is a regular automatic rather than the bumper movement.

awesome, would love to see a pic of yours now that its back!
post #14880 of 35718
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

posted a few pages ago. smile.gif
here is another! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
26E932B5-40A8-4C42-953E-A2F1D3BF0592-9673-0000081F6B348BF0.jpg

Beautiful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread