or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 964

post #14446 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel View Post

Can some of you share trusted grey market dealers? Or point me to some specialized forum where I can find them.
Thanks
!luc

Also the RolexForums is a real good place to go.

post #14447 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Also the RolexForums is a real good place to go.
Thanks..
Missed that one..
post #14448 of 35620
Thanks!
post #14449 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Rolex keeps a list of all stolen Rolex that have been reported to them. They also confiscate watches that come in for service reported stolen. I have heard of people bringing watches to Rolex service centers to verify authenticity before buying.
As for Archive papers at least the ones I've seen were NOT original replacement papers. They were docs that state a particular watch is authentic.
I wouldn't rely on those lists of serial numbers to determine authenticity. I've seen errors in them, and even a former Rolex service center employee and he told me not to rely on lists. He said sometimes cases are made & stamped with a serial, them stored on shelves and they are completed out of sequence
The key thing is familiarity with the brand models and buying from reputable sources.

did not know first part, very cool.

yes, i should have been more clear, patek does not send actual papers, just a verification the watch is authentic, and what is is, and so on.

as to the rolex list, yes they are not perfect, but generally you can get an idea of the year the watch was made in.

totally agree with the last statement, but when buying from the public, as we do, its all about familiarity with the product, as the sources are just any joe off the street.
post #14450 of 35620
ap10046, wonderful collection! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZI View Post

I really like this. Can you please tell me the model number of it?

Men's alarm chronograph digital watch. RRQ series from Lorus
post #14451 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappelan View Post

ap10046, wonderful collection! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Men's alarm chronograph digital watch. RRQ series from Lorus

Obliged, kind sir..
post #14452 of 35620

Ya'all have some very nice pieces.

I just got my daily wearer back from a full overhaul, so this is probably the only good looking picture of it there'll be for a few years. Too bad these model Breitlings seem to be made of a steel that has a great luster but is super soft and is easy to scratch deeply, and will very quickly be showing "signs of use."

 

Anyway, Breitling Chronomat Vitesse in two-tone.

post #14453 of 35620
Baller!

My brothers say hi







post #14454 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Hi Hayward,
I don't think I'm unfair to Sinn. I hold them to the same standard I hold all watch
companys to. As we all know there can be varying degrees of finish& quality of ETA movements. Sinn makes handsome watches, but they are largely recased movements. Watches with recased movements have kept me from buying several other watches. ETA makes a solid product but I prefer watches with in house movement or movement from finer makers (F Piguet,JLC etc).
Tudor has recently produced some great looking watches... I wish Rolex would borrow some design features from them on their own watches!

 

Sinn only uses chronometer grade movements for their watches. And unlike other marques that use stock movements they apply the saved labor and development to their case and strap design. Though frankly I'm not liking their newer watches. 

 

If you're that much of a movement purist I hope you have some high end Seikos and Orient Stars in your collection...;-)

 

 

post #14455 of 35620
drool.gif to the blue IWCs portugueses'.
post #14456 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Baller!
My brothers say hi



Hahahaha! what are the odds!!
post #14457 of 35620
I know this is a watch porn thread but what I'm posting isn't porn per se (unless you're into things like this) but am posting in here cause its most likely someone reading this will know what to do.

I did something extremely, extremely, stupid, resulting in condensation from seawater appearing on the inside of the case of my yachtmaster. Its quite a number of years old and I should have gotten the case pressure checked etc before taking it out but oh well, hindsight is 20/20..

So anyhow, unfortunately I am on day 4 of a two week holiday, and I am in the middle of nowhere, effectively a gazillion miles from the nearest rolex servicing center. I consider that there are three possible courses of action available:

(1) choose between saving the watch or the holiday, and cut short the holiday to get the watch serviced, or screw the watch and carry on the holiday
(2) don't worry about the watch, it'll survive, but get it looked at as soon as possible
(3) watch is screwed anyway, suck it up

Which is the correct one?
post #14458 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

I know this is a watch porn thread but what I'm posting isn't porn per se (unless you're into things like this) but am posting in here cause its most likely someone reading this will know what to do.
I did something extremely, extremely, stupid, resulting in condensation from seawater appearing on the inside of the case of my yachtmaster. Its quite a number of years old and I should have gotten the case pressure checked etc before taking it out but oh well, hindsight is 20/20..
So anyhow, unfortunately I am on day 4 of a two week holiday, and I am in the middle of nowhere, effectively a gazillion miles from the nearest rolex servicing center. I consider that there are three possible courses of action available:
(1) choose between saving the watch or the holiday, and cut short the holiday to get the watch serviced, or screw the watch and carry on the holiday
(2) don't worry about the watch, it'll survive, but get it looked at as soon as possible
(3) watch is screwed anyway, suck it up
Which is the correct one?
2. This has happened to me before. The condensation may eventually reverse itself, especially if the seals were compromised. In the meantime, keep the watch dry and away from the water. It is generally not a problem if the condensation is away from the movement.
post #14459 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

2. This has happened to me before. The condensation may eventually reverse itself, especially if the seals were compromised. In the meantime, keep the watch dry and away from the water. It is generally not a problem if the condensation is away from the movement.

this. open the crown and leave in sunlight ASAP. should be fine. sad story tho. frown.gif
post #14460 of 35620
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

I know this is a watch porn thread but what I'm posting isn't porn per se (unless you're into things like this) but am posting in here cause its most likely someone reading this will know what to do.
I did something extremely, extremely, stupid, resulting in condensation from seawater appearing on the inside of the case of my yachtmaster. Its quite a number of years old and I should have gotten the case pressure checked etc before taking it out but oh well, hindsight is 20/20..
So anyhow, unfortunately I am on day 4 of a two week holiday, and I am in the middle of nowhere, effectively a gazillion miles from the nearest rolex servicing center. I consider that there are three possible courses of action available:
(1) choose between saving the watch or the holiday, and cut short the holiday to get the watch serviced, or screw the watch and carry on the holiday
(2) don't worry about the watch, it'll survive, but get it looked at as soon as possible
(3) watch is screwed anyway, suck it up
Which is the correct one?

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but sea water is very corrosive. If you think there may be sea water in the case get it to Rolex asap. The longer the sea water is left on the movement the greater the chances are that parts of the movement will start to rust. You can always replace the movement if necessary, but if you act sooner rather than later it might just requires an overhaul (disassemble/cleaning movement, re-lubricate movement & new gaskets). Good luck with whatever you decide.

My Dad made a mess out of the movement in a GMT Master years ago, not getting the watch cleaned and serviced after water got into it. It still ran, (not that well) but the movement had rust on varvious parts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread