or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 949

post #14221 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat View Post


+1
Quite a bit of travel lately to some good watch destinations (HK, Singapore, London). Had the opportunity to try on the new 41mm RO and RO chrono; I find the new cases unnecessarily big and the dial balance off, with the chrono registers too far spaced from the bezel. Even though AP was a primary driver of the big watch, in 2012 I almost find the upsizing of their cases to be a cynical yet delayed reaction to the general upsizing of cases. I wish they had maintained a more pronounced demcarcation between the RO and ROO lines.
In related news, I just pulled the trigger yesterday on the new 15202... will take delivery in 2 weeks when in the US. smile.gif

 

I had also tried the 41mm 15400 RO before going with a 15202.  I felt the proportions of the 15400 looked a bit distorted, all in the name of making a bigger watch.  Its a good watch, but not for me.  The new 41mm chrono has elements to it that I like, and some I like less.  However, for me 15202 is as perfect as a RO can get.  I purchased with the mindset, which model would I want as a "Keeper" if I never purchase another AP (although I would like to own a few others), and for me the answer was the 15202.

 

Congrats on pulling the trigger on a 15202!!!  You definitely will not be disappointed.  I look foward to hearing some of your ownership impressions once you've had some wrist time with it.    

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by depechedior View Post

morning Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

ydajabem.jpg

 


Evening
Cheers all!

The rose gold Daytona with black dial is my favorite version of the Daytona.  The rose with black is just stunning!  Enjoy it. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post


Very nice. Blue dial?

If its a current 15202, and not new old stock then it will have a blue dial.  That is the only color they are offering on this model.  Its also a different blue than what is used on the other ROs or on the previous version of the 15202.  With previous 15202s there was a choice of dials (white, blue, dark gray, and for a time salmon color). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabster410 View Post

Hey guys, I'm really liking the look of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean but stumbled upon this watch by Christopher Ward, 

http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/view-all-mens/c60-cosc-sks.html

I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the difference in price or if I should keep saving up for the Omega.  Any input is much appreciated.  Thanks.

 Keep saving for an Omega or something else thats truly a good quality watch. 

post #14222 of 35013
Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch, jabster, and don't let anyone here tell you otherwise. You just have to decide which is better for you, matching as much of your criteria as possible, and then buy that one. Both are very fine watches.
post #14223 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


Details? This would go nicely with my Gaddafi chonograph.

 

Although I was in Baghdad from 2005-7, I actually got this much earlier - a gift from a now departed friend, some time late 80s.  I think he'd had it since the 70s.  I don't know anything about it at all, except that it's marked "Rodania Quartz" on the face.  The Arabic writing, assuming you don't read it, says "The Leader Saddam Hussein".  It belonged to the former Governor of Kirkuk.  It's in a pretty scruffy condition; no major scratches but the bracelet and case are both discoloured and have never been cleaned.  The face has some darkening around the edges from being kept in a humid environment for a while - it's definitely not waterproof.

 

To be honest, I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the maker or style.  I imagine there are thousands of these around, but I'd be interested to know who the supplier of dictator vanity watches was!

post #14224 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch, jabster, and don't let anyone here tell you otherwise. You just have to decide which is better for you, matching as much of your criteria as possible, and then buy that one. Both are very fine watches.

Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch or an Omega, just as there is nothing wrong with a Citizen or a Timex Ironman.  They will all do the same job.  However, I wouldn't spend much money on a watch from an internet based company with no actual description about servicing the watch.  Yes, they will let you return it for any reason in 60 days, they also guarantee the movement for 5 years.  Given that the movements are ETAs they can probably pop a new movement in there.  But what about other parts that can get damaged and need replacing, such as bezels, winding crowns, and other smaller items.  My friend bought his wife an Eterna about 10-12 years ago, from a well known watch store in NYC.  They were only being sold in the US by a few stores, and they had little to no distribution or service here in the States.  His wife badly damaged the bezel (after about 5 years of ownership).  When he brought the watch in and asked about service, not only were they no longer carrying the brand, but they told him he was out of luck with a new bezel.  They said there is almost no parts availability here.  Parts for Eternas may have improved with them being part of the Gevril Group...but I'm not sure.  I wonder what parts availability is like several years from now for a Chris Ward watch where there is no mention of actual service facilities or parts availability on their website.  I'd hate to think I dropped $1,000 for a disposable watch.  Even if I decided to spend less money on a watch, I'd rather buy from a company that has been around for quite a while and which I know has actual service centers to support after sales needs.  Just my 2 cents.

post #14225 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

If its a current 15202, and not new old stock then it will have a blue dial.  That is the only color they are offering on this model.  Its also a different blue than what is used on the other ROs or on the previous version of the 15202.  With previous 15202s there was a choice of dials (white, blue, dark gray, and for a time salmon color). 
 
Ah, ok. For some reason I expected the new one to come with a choice of dial colours as well, but I never really looked into it as the blue one is the one I would get myself. The 15202 is one of the few new 're-boots' I really like, though I'm undecided on whether I'd actually prefer it to the previous version...
post #14226 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by depechedior View Post

morning ydajabem.jpg
Evening y3a6utat.jpg
Cheers all!

Is the Daytona White Gold? 

post #14227 of 35013
Pretty sure it's rose gold.
post #14228 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post


Ah, ok. For some reason I expected the new one to come with a choice of dial colours as well, but I never really looked into it as the blue one is the one I would get myself. The 15202 is one of the few new 're-boots' I really like, though I'm undecided on whether I'd actually prefer it to the previous version...

Not a big deal.  Prior to ordering the new 15202, I also thought there would be a choice of dial colors.  When I visited the boutique in NYC, they informed me that at least for now its only offered with a blue dial.  Even a few ADs I contacted around the time I was ordering were unaware that blue is the only dial color available.  I think each version of the 15202 has some elements that are really nice, so I completely understand the difficultly in deciding which version you prefer.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

Pretty sure it's rose gold.

 I think the lighting is affecting the picture, but that appears to be a rose gold one based on the dial.

post #14229 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabster410 View Post

Hey guys, I'm really liking the look of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean but stumbled upon this watch by Christopher Ward, 
http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/view-all-mens/c60-cosc-sks.html
I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the difference in price or if I should keep saving up for the Omega.  Any input is much appreciated.  Thanks.

About $600-1,200ish away from the Omega Seamaster. So I would save up for it. You will smile even harder when you finally pulled the trigger.

You can do it. Trust me, it will be worth the wait!
post #14230 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

Very nice. Blue dial?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Not a big deal.  Prior to ordering the new 15202, I also thought there would be a choice of dial colors.  When I visited the boutique in NYC, they informed me that at least for now its only offered with a blue dial.  Even a few ADs I contacted around the time I was ordering were unaware that blue is the only dial color available.  I think each version of the 15202 has some elements that are really nice, so I completely understand the difficultly in deciding which version you prefer.

Confirmed it's with the dark bluish-grey dial, which as I understand it was the original color introduced 40 years ago. I suspect they'll introduce other dial colors once the anniversary has passed, but as for myself this was the only color I wanted. FWIW, there are loads of second-hand 15202s on the market at the moment at attractive prices, but with such a faithful reproduction of the original design (twin batons at 12, AP at 6, petite tapisserie) I felt I wouldn't be happy with the version recently-discontinued. Plus, I actually find the dial-colored date window to be a significant aesthetic enhancement.
post #14231 of 35013
I actually liked the old date wheel, as I somehow feel the white one better balanced the dial out, as I think it does on the IWC Mk XV. I also preferred the previous rotor design (but would like a solid case back even more). Agree on liking the other changes you mention. Anyway, great watch and congrats smile.gif
post #14232 of 35013
2012-09-26_14-22-53_845.jpg
post #14233 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat View Post


Confirmed it's with the dark bluish-grey dial, which as I understand it was the original color introduced 40 years ago. I suspect they'll introduce other dial colors once the anniversary has passed, but as for myself this was the only color I wanted. FWIW, there are loads of second-hand 15202s on the market at the moment at attractive prices, but with such a faithful reproduction of the original design (twin batons at 12, AP at 6, petite tapisserie) I felt I wouldn't be happy with the version recently-discontinued. Plus, I actually find the dial-colored date window to be a significant aesthetic enhancement.

 

I believe the original may have been a truer grey dial, while this is definitely dark blue with some grey undertones.  Under different lighting conditions the dial on this can look dark grey, or deep blue.  Its a beautiful dial.  Congrats again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

I actually liked the old date wheel, as I somehow feel the white one better balanced the dial out, as I think it does on the IWC Mk XV. I also preferred the previous rotor design (but would like a solid case back even more). Agree on liking the other changes you mention. Anyway, great watch and congrats smile.gif

A white date wheel was also used on the original.  However, I prefer the dark date wheel, its more subtle and less of a distraction on the dial.  The previous rotor is certainly more artistic, and I initially liked it more.  However, I am used to the rotor on the new one, and in some ways I find it being less ornate more appropriate for the design of the watch (although the original models had a solid case backs).  I also find the petite tapisserie (as used on the original and the current model) far more attractive than the previous dial.  Whichever version someone chooses, its a great watch.

post #14234 of 35013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch or an Omega, just as there is nothing wrong with a Citizen or a Timex Ironman.  They will all do the same job.  However, I wouldn't spend much money on a watch from an internet based company with no actual description about servicing the watch.  Yes, they will let you return it for any reason in 60 days, they also guarantee the movement for 5 years.  Given that the movements are ETAs they can probably pop a new movement in there.  But what about other parts that can get damaged and need replacing, such as bezels, winding crowns, and other smaller items.  My friend bought his wife an Eterna about 10-12 years ago, from a well known watch store in NYC.  They were only being sold in the US by a few stores, and they had little to no distribution or service here in the States.  His wife badly damaged the bezel (after about 5 years of ownership).  When he brought the watch in and asked about service, not only were they no longer carrying the brand, but they told him he was out of luck with a new bezel.  They said there is almost no parts availability here.  Parts for Eternas may have improved with them being part of the Gevril Group...but I'm not sure.  I wonder what parts availability is like several years from now for a Chris Ward watch where there is no mention of actual service facilities or parts availability on their website.  I'd hate to think I dropped $1,000 for a disposable watch.  Even if I decided to spend less money on a watch, I'd rather buy from a company that has been around for quite a while and which I know has actual service centers to support after sales needs.  Just my 2 cents.

They will service your watch (details on the website) or take it to any good watch place and they will do it for you as well. CW have been around for years now and are doing very well. They're not going anywhere and their watches are excellent. I'm not saying they're as good as Omega or any other high-end Swiss brand, but they're very good and people shouldn't hesitate if that is the particular brand they're after.
post #14235 of 35013

Thanks for the responses guys.  I think I'm going to keep saving and see what I can afford around the holidays, might be a Christmas present to myself.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread