or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 872

post #13066 of 31015

I guess it's just the collector mentality.  I have many friends who collect wine and have X times as much as they can drink in several lifetimes.  My point is why would you want 3-4 of the same watch, even if it's just a different color/gold.  Variety is the spice.  Then again if you like dating twins...

post #13067 of 31015
I honestly don't care about the movements overly much; I have a lot of watches with complicated movements (2 x Lange datograph perpetual, Portuguese minute repeater) and I'm primarily concerned with aesthetics and comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

At one point I had 4 Rolex Daytonas at the same time (differnet dial colors, different case metals, but the same movement and all the same basic watch).  At that point in my life it was my favorite watch and I liked having variations of it.  Today I have a Daytona 16520 black dial (zenith based movement)and a 116520 black dial with the Rolex inhouse movement.  They look similar but the movements, bracelets, and dials are different.  When I had 4 essentially the same watch, it eventually got a bit boring.  

I don't mind having a watch and its successor, but now I don't want a bunch of the same watch.  I'm not sure I consider it greedy, afterall most Pateks and VCs are already pretty expensive to start with, so if they are within someone's budget, most likely the fact that one guy has 4 wasn't going to keep the next Patek collector from getting one.  I also don't think that the fact that someone has 4 Pateks keeps a Patek out of the hands of someone that usually buys Rolex, IWC, or Breitling...particularly because the watches people tend to buy in the 4 metals tend to be the pricier complicated pieces rather than basic Calatravas. 

If someone watches a Patek or VC in all the metals its available in, so be it.  But I think I'd rather have a bit more variation and versatility in my collection.

I like the color blue of the dial on Drizz's watch, although it might look a bit better to me if it were a simpler dial like on the 10 day (rather than a chronograph).  My big issue with Panerais is the use of very ordinary movements in many of their watches.
post #13068 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by depechedior View Post

Yes yellow gold...
 

I don't actually like gold on watches. But classic models like that and a bonus Patek, looks so stunning! Enjoy it and the most important thing, take care of it!

post #13069 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post

I honestly don't care about the movements overly much; I have a lot of watches with complicated movements (2 x Lange datograph perpetual, Portuguese minute repeater) and I'm primarily concerned with aesthetics and comfort.

 

Everyone has their reasons for buying certain watches.  My issue with Panerais is not that the movements are not complicated enough, its that their movements are often found in far less expensive watches.   For me if I spent $5K, $10K or more and found that the watch I was wearing had a movement that was also used to power a $700 watch, it would annoy me.  Kind of like if I bought a BMW M5 only to pop the hood and find it was an engine from a Kia but that it had BMW badges on it. 

 

I love the color blue used for the dial and strap on your Panerai.  Its a nice change from the black, white, and sometimes brown I have seen them use on dials in the past.  My big wish for Panerai is more in house movments or the use of movements from finer companies such as F.Piguet, JLC (since its under the same ownership), maybe Zenith...rather than using Unitas, Valjoux etc.

post #13070 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

I guess it's just the collector mentality.  I have many friends who collect wine and have X times as much as they can drink in several lifetimes.  My point is why would you want 3-4 of the same watch, even if it's just a different color/gold.  Variety is the spice.  Then again if you like dating twins...

Yeah, i too would go for different models before i doubled up, but YMMV.
post #13071 of 31015

There are plenty of Panerai watches using in-house movements these days.  I'm a bit of a movement snob myself, but there are loads of ETA, Valjoux, etc-based watches I admire and desire. And, for what it's worth, Panerai historically was a casemaker, using externally-supplied movements, so there is actually plenty of historical precedent for the use of outsourced movements in these watches.  I'm not saying that spending $6K on a watch with a simple Unitas movement makes good economical sense, but since when did any aspect of this hobby make any sense?

 

Now, when Panerai throws a nice in-house movement in something that looks like this...well I guess I'm a fanboy, and yes, I'm smitten.

 

1000

post #13072 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post

480019_854864817024_1507133253_n.jpg

Beautiful Daylight - love the blues.
post #13073 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerules View Post

There are plenty of Panerai watches using in-house movements these days.  I'm a bit of a movement snob myself, but there are loads of ETA, Valjoux, etc-based watches I admire and desire. And, for what it's worth, Panerai historically was a casemaker, using externally-supplied movements, so there is actually plenty of historical precedent for the use of outsourced movements in these watches.  I'm not saying that spending $6K on a watch with a simple Unitas movement makes good economical sense, but since when did any aspect of this hobby make any sense?

 

Now, when Panerai throws a nice in-house movement in something that looks like this...well I guess I'm a fanboy, and yes, I'm smitten.

 

1000


+1

 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Do as much research as possible, but then buy a watch you're happy with.

post #13074 of 31015
Duke, that panny is a beaut.

Im strongly considering the 112, and the lack of in house movement doesnt bother me at all.

Does anyone know, do they retool the outsourced movements, or just pop them in as is?
post #13075 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Duke, that panny is a beaut.
Im strongly considering the 112, and the lack of in house movement doesnt bother me at all.
Does anyone know, do they retool the outsourced movements, or just pop them in as is?

They're all retooled to some extent, but not as extensively as some of the outsourced IWCs, Blancpains, boutique German brands etc.
post #13076 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Duke, that panny is a beaut.
Im strongly considering the 112, and the lack of in house movement doesnt bother me at all.
Does anyone know, do they retool the outsourced movements, or just pop them in as is?

They do a bit of work to the original movement, adding a swan's neck regulator and decorative bridges.  So not a whole lot.  I know plenty of people who would never buy a non-in-house movement PAM because of the perceived lack of value in the movement.  YMMV.

post #13077 of 31015
I have another watch that has an in house movement (JLC), so im satisfied on that front for now. I have the panny bug, and the movement issue doesnt bother me. Was just curious, thanks for the info, guys.

If i land one, ill be sure to post it here. smile.gif
post #13078 of 31015
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I have the panny bug

biggrin.gif
post #13079 of 31015
Thread Starter 
FWIW, the "in-house" movement (in the Richemnt house, I guess) are a relatively recent phenomenon for Panerai and mostly a marketing strategy to increase prices and ensure continuity if/when Swatch Group continues to make ebauches less accessible to third parties.

In reality, outsourced movements are much more aligned with Panerai's history and DNA. OP was primarily a case and dial maker and sourced Rolex and Angelus movements. It never was or claimed to be in the horology business but rather a maker of tools for the marina militare, among which this new design of watch case, luminous dial, and, later, crown protector to ensure better water resistance. When Vendome bought the "modern OP" in the late 90's, they had revived old watch designs but replicated the same approach as OP did decades before: focus on the case and dial and use readily available movements. Vendome continued that, incorporating a number or specialty movements here and there for Ltd Editions, but always sourced.
post #13080 of 31015

Looks like Rory's caddie and dad both rock APRO's.  I think they are one of his sponsors.  Amazing display of golf on a tough course.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread