or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 868

post #13006 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post

Just saw this interesting photo essay on JLC's beautiful enameled master tourbillons. Well worth clicking on.
http://www.fratellowatches.com/photoessay-the-jaeger-lecoultre-master-tourbillons/
Here's another pretty crazy watch:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/05/16/photoessay-placeholder-2/

most of those are not my steeze, or in my bankroll, but the hand working is simply astonishing. thanks.
post #13007 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Liked the strap on it, nothing more.
agreed. for some reason, ive never been a huge fan of tourbs....totally unnecessary on a wristwatch. it serves no function other than looking complicated. if i had that kind of coin to dump on a complication, id get a minute repeater. clean, legible, and serves a purpose. The tourb is just nifty to look at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Really sorry for your loss.  Perhaps we should discuss insurance on watches.  I've never done it, I have a very heavy safe and deposit box for the fancy things.  Some companies specialize in insurance for timepieces.  Thoughts?

just have them scheduled on your home owners insurance. theyll cover the loss...and keep em in the safe too.
post #13008 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Really sorry for your loss.  Perhaps we should discuss insurance on watches.  I've never done it, I have a very heavy safe and deposit box for the fancy things.  Some companies specialize in insurance for timepieces.  Thoughts?

best, but most expensive, is to submit individual appraisals on each item to your homeowners/renters insurance, and have a separate rider for each. so you are 100% covered. but it will cost a you a few bucks each year. the mo stuff the mo money in insurance, and that can get pricey.

one thing to confirm with the insurance provider though, as there are different options, is in case of loss, will they reimburse you for the appraised amount, or just replace the watch for you. they all have agreements with jewelers for these things. i know a place in ATL that has 5 person team that only deals with insurance companies and replacements. its good to know what you are paying for in case you make a claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

agreed. for some reason, ive never been a huge fan of tourbs....totally unnecessary on a wristwatch. it serves no function other than looking complicated. if i had that kind of coin to dump on a complication, id get a minute repeater. clean, legible, and serves a purpose. The tourb is just nifty to look at.

fock you. i love a tourb. it is my ultimate grail watch. particularly the JLC gyro 2, or triptique.
post #13009 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post


checking in...old watch, old NATO, new pic. smile.gif

Great looking watch. The sort that looks great with everything.
post #13010 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

this depresses me to type out... but here goes..
Breitling Bentley Big Date
Rolex Daytona white dial
Rolex Daytona Black dial
Rolex GMT
Rolex Submariner
Panerai 88 GMT
Panerai 112
Panerai 113
Panerai Radiomir 231 (rose gold base)
Cartier Santos 100
IWC Portuguese Panda dial (Black face, white subdials)

I'm sorry man. If you don't mind me asking, what year was the Daytona with the black dial? I have been looking into getting myself a Daytona with a black dial. I really want to get an older one but they are much more than I can to spend. Will most likely get a Daytona with Zenith movement instead. I aso really like the look of patrizi dial. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
post #13011 of 38330
Yeah I really like the GMTc. I might get one in a couple weeks. biggrin.gif
post #13012 of 38330

What the original Nautilus, RO, and VC 222 shared was the same base movement designed by JLC.  Although, JLC never used it in any of their own watches. 

post #13013 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat View Post

I've got another AP on my short list; it's the newly refreshed Jumbo 15202, which ironically is as close to the original introduced 40 years ago as anything in recent memory. AP logo at the 6 position, twin batons at the 12, dial-colored date window, and minor tweaks to the bracelet clasp. This design may be just about perfect. 4f5e16b9-d315-264b.jpg

 

I just took delivery of the new 15202 Jumbo last week.  Its just stunning!  Its the first AP I've had in more than 10 years and everything about it is impressive (case and bracelet finishining, the classic cal 2121, and the dial which takes on different shades of blue depending on the lighting).  Pluse the one advantage of this tribute to the original is the display back where you can view the iconic cal 2121.  You will not be disappointed.  Below are 2 quick and sadly blury camera/phone photos.  I hope to have some better photos like the one above soon.  This was a belated 40th birthday/10th anniversary gift from my wife and it was well worth the wait!

 

Best regards,

Dino

 

700

 

  700

post #13014 of 38330
participated in buying one these at work today. to sell not keep. frown.gif

318165d1283316867-fs-vacheron-constantin-overseas-chronograph-18k-yellow-gold-$23999-img_4541.jpg
post #13015 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I just took delivery of the new 15202 Jumbo last week. 


Congrats and wear it in the best of health. The new 15202 is near the top of my list.
post #13016 of 38330

Argh! All of you with your AP's, soon boys soon.... I'll flash mine too :)!

post #13017 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

participated in buying one these at work today. to sell not keep. frown.gif
318165d1283316867-fs-vacheron-constantin-overseas-chronograph-18k-yellow-gold-$23999-img_4541.jpg

The original Overseas chrono is a very nice watch.   I like its looks far more than the 2nd generation Overseas.  Although, the bracelets on the originals frequently had issues with the bracelet links getting jammed and stuck.  I think that is one of the reasons they completely changed the bracelet on the 2nd generation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I just took delivery of the new 15202 Jumbo last week. 
700
Congrats and wear it in the best of health. The new 15202 is near the top of my list.

 

Thanks for the good wishes!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Argh! All of you with your AP's, soon boys soon.... I'll flash mine too :)!

 

Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots of you wearing your own AP soon : )

post #13018 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The original Overseas chrono is a very nice watch.   I like its looks far more than the 2nd generation Overseas.  Although, the bracelets on the originals frequently had issues with the bracelet links getting jammed and stuck.  I think that is one of the reasons they completely changed the bracelet on the 2nd generation. 

thats too bad, i like this bracelet much more than the newer one. we got it for a steal too. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #13019 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post

I'm sorry man. If you don't mind me asking, what year was the Daytona with the black dial? I have been looking into getting myself a Daytona with a black dial. I really want to get an older one but they are much more than I can to spend. Will most likely get a Daytona with Zenith movement instead. I aso really like the look of patrizi dial. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Mine was a 2006 if i recall.....has the in house movement. I loved it, but if i had the choice, i wouldve gone for the zenith movement in a heartbeat. the el primero movt they used wasnt the standard one in the other zenith watches...rolex went over it witha fine toothed comb and did a lot of mods. fantastic watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

Yeah I really like the GMTc. I might get one in a couple weeks. biggrin.gif
you wont regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

participated in buying one these at work today. to sell not keep. frown.gif
318165d1283316867-fs-vacheron-constantin-overseas-chronograph-18k-yellow-gold-$23999-img_4541.jpg
Oh goodness. I love the overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The original Overseas chrono is a very nice watch.   I like its looks far more than the 2nd generation Overseas.  Although, the bracelets on the originals frequently had issues with the bracelet links getting jammed and stuck.  I think that is one of the reasons they completely changed the bracelet on the 2nd generation. 
[/quote
I much prefer the bracelet on the 2nd gen. really nice!
post #13020 of 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots of you wearing your own AP soon : )

Thanks man. I'm already starting the savings, told my wife about it and she is so against it...Well few more months and I have my real baby.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread