or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 851

post #12751 of 35993

Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches.  To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

post #12752 of 35993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches.  To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

 

Putting a tool strap on a tool watch is wrong, hm?

post #12753 of 35993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches.  To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

Its going to be on a cheap Seiko, so as to not offend your delicate sensibilities.
post #12754 of 35993
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117 View Post

531601_848459563204_904087676_n.jpg

Love this one so simple, so clean!

post #12755 of 35993

I'm a WIS, shaddup!

post #12756 of 35993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches.  To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

PP3940onNATO.jpg

(eagerly waits for Edgein's head to explode biggrin.gif)

It's interesting that you (indrectly) make a reference to price - watch straps are just that, watch straps. They accessorise the watch.

If you think a watch strap must be "high end" to match a "high end" watch then it might be worthwhile asking yourself ...why?

IMO you are approaching the whole WIS thing from a wrong angle - i.e. by using as a metric the perceived value of objects. Like people whose enjoyment of paintings is based on the name in the lower R hand corner.
post #12757 of 35993

baldy[1].gif    Closest to an exploding head!  Nice watches.  But, they look ridiculous with those straps...  I think a nice watch should have a proper leather strap or a bracelet, if appropriate.  If you live in a hot climate, wear a watch with a bracelet and put those watches away for the summer.  It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  I wear a Tissot in the warmer weather.  It isn't even mechanical!  fight[1].gif

post #12758 of 35993
There's a couple pictures of A. Lange on a Nato's roaming around the web.


Found one

alang_image.2401053.jpg
post #12759 of 35993
those are beautiful watches. while i am not against nato straps per say, i dont think those watches are really sporty enough to work with the straps on them. just my opinion.

also, personally, i have a thing for original good and stuff. 99% of the time, i prefer to have only the manufacturers goods on the watch. gdls gold hands on his panerai being an exception to that.
post #12760 of 35993




The Portugueser (IWC 3531)
post #12761 of 35993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

baldy%5B1%5D.gif    Closest to an exploding head!  Nice watches.  But, they look ridiculous with those straps...  I think a nice watch should have a proper leather strap or a bracelet, if appropriate.  If you live in a hot climate, wear a watch with a bracelet and put those watches away for the summer.  It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  I wear a Tissot in the warmer weather.  It isn't even mechanical!  fight%5B1%5D.gif

the warmer weather really kills me. i end up usually sticking with my leather JLC bracelet, and regretting it. even though i have the metal one, i just like the leather look better. part of why im thinking about a new watch. possibly another DJ.

never should have sold the first one. cloud.gif
post #12762 of 35993
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post


1000PP3940onNATO.jpg
(eagerly waits for Edgein's head to explode biggrin.gif)
It's interesting that you (indrectly) make a reference to price - watch straps are just that, watch straps. They accessorise the watch.
If you think a watch strap must be "high end" to match a "high end" watch then it might be worthwhile asking yourself ...why?
IMO you are approaching the whole WIS thing from a wrong angle - i.e. by using as a metric the perceived value of objects. Like people whose enjoyment of paintings is based on the name in the lower R hand corner.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

There's a couple pictures of A. Lange on a Nato's roaming around the web.
Found one
alang_image.2401053.jpg

 

I think a Sub or a GMT Master on a Nato strap works because they are sports watches.  I tend to favor bracelets on a Rolex, but I think the 16758 in an earlier post looks really good on its Nato strap.

 

As for Pateks and Langes on Nato straps, they just look silly.  Its would be like wearing a really nice suit or tuxedo with a pair of sneakers.  I've seen people do it (not sure if they think they are rock stars and can get away with it) but it always detracts from the the person's overall appearance. 

post #12763 of 35993
Not sure all of the lashing out against the NATO strap is nessecary, after all most of these watches were designed to be used in environments where a NATO strap would thrive. That being said I think the metal bracelet would work even better, but it's not a bad choice.
post #12764 of 35993

Those Pateks and Langes look ridiculous on nylon but my Explorer II on nylon while I was deployed (even though I still wear it on one) is 100% acceptable. Hmph!

post #12765 of 35993

To each his own.  If you like like it, wear it proudly.  EMartNJ, if you are a serviceman, I salute you!  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread