or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 846

post #12676 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conventum View Post

I don't think you can get a diamond with the same grading as a Tiffany's diamond for 1/3 of the cost. A diamond isn't just a diamond, there's a grading system for quality. If you get a diamond with the same grading as Tiff's from a no-name brand, you would save money, but not at 1/3 of the cost. Plus you get free cleaning, polishing, and great service for the rest of your life for free with Tiffany's.


um, no. the diamond grading system is fairly universal. tiffany diamonds do no have a better grading system. as a matter of fact, some would argue that they are more lax with their grading than GIA is. but lest assume for a minute they keep the same standars.

if you go to the tiffany site and build an engagement ring, a 2.0 carat round stone will cost you $36,700. they do not disclose the color or clarity on the site except to say that the color of the stone is not worse than an "I" color and that it has good clarity. you can take the average and get the same stone from bluenile for $24,124. and finding a local jeweler that is cheaper than blue nile is easy as pie. also, any decent jeweler will service your stone for life.

i exaggerated at 1/3 of the cost, but the difference is in savings could be close to half. basically, dont think for an instant that tiffany gives you a better stone. you are paying for a blue box and a retail experience. there is nothing wrong with that, but know what you are buying.

as to the watches, i guess we agree as to where MB lies, just have different feeling on what is important in a watch purchase. nothing wrong with that.
post #12677 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conventum View Post

Hmmm... would you buy a Patek Philippe pen? Or would you buy a Louis Vuitton engagement ring? I would rather purchase a PP watch than a pen and I would rather have a MontBlanc pen than a PP pen. As for an engagement ring, I would rather buy a Tiffany's engagement ring than an LV ring (if one even exists.) My point is... a name means a lot to me. It tells me about the heritage and craftsmanship. It sort of adds a characteristic/soul to the object and it makes the watch more than just a timepiece. Some people could care less and just buy the pretty piece with a decent or very good movement, but I want that soul! I want to feel passionate and proud about my watch. I would definitely skip the MontBlanc and consider a different timepiece. I'm not saying that MB is lacking a respectable name, because they really aren't! Their name is respectable in the profession that made them renown around the world and that's writing instruments. That's just my opinion.


Comparing a 30k$ watch to a 5-10k$ watch, is like comparing a Zonda with a VW.

Would you buy an Omega?
post #12678 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

um, no. the diamond grading system is fairly universal. tiffany diamonds do no have a better grading system. as a matter of fact, some would argue that they are more lax with their grading than GIA is. but lest assume for a minute they keep the same standars.
if you go to the tiffany site and build an engagement ring, a 2.0 carat round stone will cost you $36,700. they do not disclose the color or clarity on the site except to say that the color of the stone is not worse than an "I" color and that it has good clarity. you can take the average and get the same stone from bluenile for $24,124. and finding a local jeweler that is cheaper than blue nile is easy as pie. also, any decent jeweler will service your stone for life.
i exaggerated at 1/3 of the cost, but the difference is in savings could be close to half. basically, dont think for an instant that tiffany gives you a better stone. you are paying for a blue box and a retail experience. there is nothing wrong with that, but know what you are buying.
as to the watches, i guess we agree as to where MB lies, just have different feeling on what is important in a watch purchase. nothing wrong with that.

As an independent jeweler, I support this post.

I understand the OP's point (but completely disagree with), but using Tiffany's + diamonds was a very very poor choice

in stitches post is pretty spot-on - Mont Blanc is not some crap watch that you are paying a huge premium just for its name, they make good watches so if you like it, you buy it and enjoy it. If you buy anything from Tiffany's, you are paying for their name - the quality of the majority of their stuff is mediocre, and the items that are quality, are outrageously priced.

When it comes to quality, Tiffany's is not looked at in a positive light.
post #12679 of 35579
Quote:

Would you rather buy a Grand Seiko over a Rolex Milgauss? I know their movement embarrasses a Rolex movement (because it's Seiko and it's better), but I'd still choose the Rolex.

Quote:
My point is... a name means a lot to me.



"Say it clear and loud: brandwhore and proud"
post #12680 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc905 View Post

Is your floor Epi Brazilian hardwood?

Ikea, actually icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif I only splurge on horology.
post #12681 of 35579
http://www.ablogtoread.com/montblanc-timewriter-1-metamorphosis-watch-transforms/

^ Skip to 4:25 to check out the metamorphosis watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swblueblood View Post

Mont Blanc also produces watches with movements made by Minerva,biggrin.gif

Actually Montblanc purchased Minerva a few years ago.

When you can produce watches like these. I don't care if your company started out making toaster.

MB_TimeWriter_II_Chronographe_Bi-Fr%C3%A9quence_2.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

MB_Scenic_3.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

review-montblanc-collection-villeret-1858-vintage-pulsographe_9.jpg?width=630

MB-BH-11.jpg

montblanc_image.2456043.jpg

star1.jpg

starpair.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

MB-BH-8.jpg

montblanc_image.2693448.jpg
Edited by Warren G. - 7/17/12 at 8:27am
post #12682 of 35579
I will first say I am no watch expert but I am concerned that Patek Philippe, though I am sure a very fine watch maker, spends so much on marketing. They seem to be on the back cover of nearly every magazine in the house.

If I want to spend an equivalent amount of money on a watch which are the brands where the money goes on the manufacturing rather than the marketing?
post #12683 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

http://www.ablogtoread.com/montblanc-timewriter-1-metamorphosis-watch-transforms/
^ Skip to 4:25 to check out the metamorphosis watch.
Actually Montblanc purchased Minerva a few years ago.
When you can produce watches like these. I don't care if your company started out making toaster.
MB_TimeWriter_II_Chronographe_Bi-Fr%C3%A9quence_2.jpg
DSC_0306.jpg
MB_Scenic_3.jpg
DSC_0316.jpg
review-montblanc-collection-villeret-1858-vintage-pulsographe_9.jpg?width=630
MB-BH-11.jpg
montblanc_image.2456043.jpg
star1.jpg
starpair.jpg
DSC_0324.jpg
MB-BH-8.jpg
montblanc_image.2693448.jpg

full requote for awesomeness
post #12684 of 35579
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post

I will first say I am no watch expert but I am concerned that Patek Philippe, though I am sure a very fine watch maker, spends so much on marketing. They seem to be on the back cover of nearly every magazine in the house.
If I want to spend an equivalent amount of money on a watch which are the brands where the money goes on the manufacturing rather than the marketing?

You're asking which brands operate at lower margins? Probably the independent guys rather than the Richemont- or Swatch-owned maisons, Rolex or PP. Why it matters... I don't know. The marketing spend helps the watch owner in the sense that it supports second-hand demand for the watch and resale prices if you want/need to sell it at a later stage.
post #12685 of 35579
It does matter to me as I like craftsmen and would rather buy a product made by one (or in this case a group of them probably) and pay for his hours rather than fill Conde Nast and News International's pockets. I take your point about resale value but this is not my intention.
post #12686 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Ikea, actually icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif I only splurge on horology.

Are you serious about IKEA? It looks good
post #12687 of 35579
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post

It does matter to me as I like craftsmen and would rather buy a product made by one (or in this case a group of them probably) and pay for his hours rather than fill Conde Nast and News International's pockets. I take your point about resale value but this is not my intention.

But you pay these craftsmen either way. In one case, you also provide higher gross margin to the employer of these craftsmen so that they can fund marketing budgets, which in turn will lead them to sell more watches, therefore hiring more craftsmen to make more watches. In the other case, you're funding a smaller operation that operates at lower margins (usually because it has to, as it hasn't found adequate pricing power yet) and actually employ less craftsmen.

I guess I find the idea of dissociating luxury products from a big part of what makes them luxury products (i.e. the image they project) slightly odd. But if what you're looking for is "stealth luxury", then you should take a look at independent guys like Dufour, Smith, Ferrier, other AHCI watchmakers etc...
post #12688 of 35579

I think i'll buy that MontBlanc from him. Wear it a while and sell it later on. 

post #12689 of 35579
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

I think i'll buy that MontBlanc from him. Wear it a while and sell it later on. 

Do you even like it? I personally don't find that one attractive at all.
post #12690 of 35579
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

But you pay these craftsmen either way. In one case, you also provide higher gross margin to the employer of these craftsmen so that they can fund marketing budgets, which in turn will lead them to sell more watches, therefore hiring more craftsmen to make more watches. In the other case, you're funding a smaller operation that operates at lower margins (usually because it has to, as it hasn't found adequate pricing power yet) and actually employ less craftsmen.
I guess I find the idea of dissociating luxury products from a big part of what makes them luxury products (i.e. the image they project) slightly odd. But if what you're looking for is "stealth luxury", then you should take a look at independent guys like Dufour, Smith, Ferrier, other AHCI watchmakers etc...

you forgot this

teacha.gif

wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread