or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 808

post #12106 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

No it is massive

you know the size off hand?
post #12107 of 33972
Thread Starter 
47 mm case
post #12108 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

47 mm case

thats pretty large.
post #12109 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


very good brand. a few were posted in the first 25 posts on this thread. have a look.

Thanks will check that out when i'm home :)

post #12110 of 33972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

thats pretty large.

It's also platinum so heavy stuff
post #12111 of 33972
I know this is probably a testy subject and this is the watch p0rn thread after all, but how do you guys feel about homages? Rolex really does nothing for me (at least in their modern lineup), but I have always loved the 5517 milsub. Obviously I can't afford it, and I think that even if I could afford it I wouldn't drop $100,000 on a watch I'd probably be too scared to wear. Steinhart makes a pretty cool homage to the milsub, with "aged" lume, domed sapphire, and a bigger case size. A really handsome looking watch overall. thoughts?
post #12112 of 33972
Has anyone seen this companies watches? http://schofieldwatchcompany.com/
post #12113 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post

I know this is probably a testy subject and this is the watch p0rn thread after all, but how do you guys feel about homages? Rolex really does nothing for me (at least in their modern lineup), but I have always loved the 5517 milsub. Obviously I can't afford it, and I think that even if I could afford it I wouldn't drop $100,000 on a watch I'd probably be too scared to wear. Steinhart makes a pretty cool homage to the milsub, with "aged" lume, domed sapphire, and a bigger case size. A really handsome looking watch overall. thoughts?

I wouldn't be opposed to buying an homage. There is some discussion about this previously, might have been on the poor man's watch thread, but the consensus I got was that an homage is ok, better than buying a fake.
post #12114 of 33972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post

I know this is probably a testy subject and this is the watch p0rn thread after all, but how do you guys feel about homages? Rolex really does nothing for me (at least in their modern lineup), but I have always loved the 5517 milsub. Obviously I can't afford it, and I think that even if I could afford it I wouldn't drop $100,000 on a watch I'd probably be too scared to wear. Steinhart makes a pretty cool homage to the milsub, with "aged" lume, domed sapphire, and a bigger case size. A really handsome looking watch overall. thoughts?

In all honesty, if you lust after a 5517, I doubt that a cheap Steinhart replica will satisfy you. What is it about the 5517 that you like so much vs the rather easily found 5513? I assume it's the hands? If that's the case, I would find it much more interesting (and surely more satisfying) to embark in a mod project : find a 5513, with real history, natural tritium patina, and get the hands changed, ideally with original Rolex hands.
post #12115 of 33972
That's a really good way to waste a good 5513 (and the five-figure dollars needed for the hands)...

There are no shortcuts or almosts. Every cent spent on something that you wish was something else is wasted. My advice? Buy a really nice 5513 and wear it for what it is - a beautiful, iconic Submariner.
post #12116 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post

I know this is probably a testy subject and this is the watch p0rn thread after all, but how do you guys feel about homages? Rolex really does nothing for me (at least in their modern lineup), but I have always loved the 5517 milsub. Obviously I can't afford it, and I think that even if I could afford it I wouldn't drop $100,000 on a watch I'd probably be too scared to wear. Steinhart makes a pretty cool homage to the milsub, with "aged" lume, domed sapphire, and a bigger case size. A really handsome looking watch overall. thoughts?

 

Everything has its place. Some may opt for gdl203 or Singular's advice, while others will grab the Steinhart.  Whatever makes you happy.

 

FWIW, I am thinking of going the Steinhart route soon. For me, its more about saving money for something really unique (im thinking GO pano series here), rather than something with a bunch of copycats. The question is: will you be satisfied w just a Steinhart? I dunno if you can answer that in the abstract. Try it out. Otherwise unload it and go for the baller version. At least you will know its what you really want rather than a passing fad. Vintage rolex is really hot at the moment. I'm not sure if I want to wade in right now.

post #12117 of 33972
Thing is, I really dislike the mercedes hands, so the 5513 is a no go. Plus, even if I did have a 5513, I would feel wrong modding it. The steinhart has the added bonus of having a nice maxi dial too. Whatever, I don't really need it right now (would much rather have a speedmaster or a sinn 356). Thanks guys.
post #12118 of 33972
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular View Post

That's a really good way to waste a good 5513 (and the five-figure dollars needed for the hands)...
There are no shortcuts or almosts. Every cent spent on something that you wish was something else is wasted.
Sorry but that's just bullshit - also known as "your opinion". Swapping hands do not waste anything in a watch, especially if done by a decent watchmaker and if keeping the original hands if he wants/needs to swap them back later. It's fine to feel wrong about it, of course. But I've modded the hands of a watch before and was dramatically happier about the result than the original - never wanted to go back to the original. See post #2 of this thread
post #12119 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

It's also platinum so heavy stuff

i lust for a plat watch one day. i like how patek puts a little diamond between the bottom lugs on their plat cases. out of sight, but still cool imo.
post #12120 of 33972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Sorry but that's just bullshit - also known as "your opinion". Swapping hands do not waste anything in a watch, especially if done by a decent watchmaker and if keeping the original hands if he wants/needs to swap them back later. It's fine to feel wrong about it, of course. But I've modded the hands of a watch before and was dramatically happier about the result than the original - never wanted to go back to the original. See post #2, the most famous watch on a wrist post in the history of the internets evar!!

FTFY wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread