or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 746

post #11176 of 37166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Some Laurent Ferrier Pr0n, for funsies, from Basel:
280
437
280
280
438
280
Those hands, my sweet, sweet Jesus. And in my most humble of opinions, one of the most elegantly designed movements / Tourbs.
Also, in regards to the Speedy Pro v. El Primero... I am going to have to go with with el numero uno, el primero. As much as I love the Speedy Pro, I think I am more of an El Primero guy. With that said, it really depends on the model.

Great pics! Thanks for posting.
post #11177 of 37166
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Quote:

rimshot.gif

fing02[1].gif
post #11178 of 37166
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvw View Post

Great pics! Thanks for posting.

Not my pics unfortunately (I am not that talented, and sadly, I did not get to see a watch like this in person) but glad the pics have been enjoyed.
post #11179 of 37166
what are some interesting options in the $2,000-$2,500 (pre-owned, but I wouldn't want to drop major $$ on a service right after getting the watch, so would want it to be pretty new). Right now I'm basically on the lookout for a Speedy Pro in excellent condition. I have narrowly missed some good looking 2010-2011 models for closer to the $2,000 mark, and am keeping my eyes out for more (only interested in the 3570.50). But I wonder if there are some cool watches I'm overlooking. I like watches that are classic or have some heritage or whatever, so the Speedy definitely appeals on that level. If I made a decent money jump the Rolex sub no date is also on my radar. I have my grail watches as well (some more attainable than others) but need to start somewhere.
post #11180 of 37166
I'd stick to the speedy pro at that price, fantastic watch.

You could pickup a 14060 sub, but it woudlnt be in great nick at that price range - though for another grand you could source a mint condition example.
post #11181 of 37166
yeah you really cant go wrong with a speedmaster professional. i have more 'baller' watches but dont like any of them more than the speedy.
post #11182 of 37166
Just asking here because it doesn't warrant its own thread and people here should know it: what is the eason for the red part of a pepsi/coke bezel on a diver's watch? I would guess that it serves as a warning for the diver that his oxygen is running low, but maybe there's an entirely different reason for it?
post #11183 of 37166

Dollar for dollar I don't think you can go wrong with a Speedy Pro.

 

If in house is important check NOMOS Glashutte, but if ETA doesnt bother you then check out some of the Mark ## watches from IWC, or even Tudor and Stowa

post #11184 of 37166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Just asking here because it doesn't warrant its own thread and people here should know it: what is the eason for the red part of a pepsi/coke bezel on a diver's watch? I would guess that it serves as a warning for the diver that his oxygen is running low, but maybe there's an entirely different reason for it?

 

The pepsi bezel is most famous on the Rolex GMT. In that sense, there is no inherent purpose because the GMT function on that watch has nothing to do with the bezel.

 

Now if youre talking about the Rolex Submariner, the issue is not the color but the unidirectionality of the bezel that, as you say, serves as a time warning that oxygen is running low. "Unidirectional" is whats key here as it will never rotate the wrong way and tell you you have more time when in fact you don't.
 

Rolex cast a long shadow on subsequent dive watches (or watches in general especially in reference to the signature look of their bezels). The Seiko SKX401K for instance clearly fused the two. I don't think it has anything to do with a technically superior justification, just deference/homage/tactic to the style popularized by Rolex. Color, in general, would not be a good means to communicate such critical information because it gets dark in deep water. That's probably why  other companies introduced a vibrating alarm (JLC Polaris for instance which IMHO is THE dive watch to get).

 

Nowadays of course sensible people would most likely rock a sturdy quartz for such things...and on a slightly related note that Rolex Deepsea Challenge looks like a giant facepalm to me

 


Edited by Cylon - 3/21/12 at 10:35am
post #11185 of 37166
Wow.

437

Get two; they're cheap!
post #11186 of 37166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post


The pepsi bezel is most famous on the Rolex GMT. In that sense, there is no inherent purpose because the GMT function on that watch has nothing to do with the bezel.

Now if youre talking about the Rolex Submariner, the issue is not the color but the unidirectionality of the bezel that, as you say, serves as a time warning that oxygen is running low. "Unidirectional" is whats key here as it will never rotate the wrong way and tell you you have more time when in fact you don't.

 
Rolex cast a long shadow on subsequent dive watches (or watches in general especially in reference to the signature look of their bezels). The Seiko SKX401K for instance clearly fused the two. I don't think it has anything to do with a technically superior justification, just deference/homage/tactic to the style popularized by Rolex. Color, in general, would not be a good means to communicate such critical information because it gets dark in deep water. That's probably why  other companies introduced a vibrating alarm (JLC Polaris for instance which IMHO is THE dive watch to get).

Nowadays of course sensible people would most likely rock a sturdy quartz for such things...and on a slightly related note that Rolex Deepsea Challenge looks like a giant facepalm to me

So it never had a "real" function? Somehow that makes me sad confused.gif.
post #11187 of 37166

As far as I know, no. It's for aesthetic reasons. The GMT Rolexes use a 50/50 split (for what reason I don't know--maybe world timer something?), and divers tend to use the last 20 minutes to highlight a warning threshold for  decompression/oxygen reasons.

post #11188 of 37166
Thread Starter 
It's the day/night separator for the GMT function (6am-6pm = "day", 6pm-6am = "night")
post #11189 of 37166
263

Mmmmm... How I love offset dials.

New Lunar vs. old Lunar XL.

263
post #11190 of 37166
Harry Winston Ocean Dual Time Zone

6864528214_4d4035caa6_b.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread