or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 695

post #10411 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikantian View Post

Has anyone seen the new-ish JLC Master Eight Days Perpetual in SS? I've been wanting to get a perpetual in stainless, but there are no JLC dealers near me so I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm not sure if I like the updated dial design versus the older Eight Day Perpetual, but the previous model doesn't come in SS, and the rose gold version seems a bit spendy.
349

Very nice. Great layout too, everything seems to be very legible.
post #10412 of 34761
I'll take that back. The sonnerie is a spring drive. I think the eichi is mechanical.
post #10413 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I'll take that back. The sonnerie is a spring drive. I think the eichi is mechanical.

Naw, the Eichi is also spring drive. Just a very sexified spring drive.

"Kenji Shiohara from the Micro Artist Studio sought out Philippe Dufour for advice on watch finishing when the Spring Drive Sonnerie was in development. And in typical Japanese fashion they took the advice and went even further. In a conversation with Mr Dufour a year ago, he expressed respect for Seiko’s fanatical dedication to quality."

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/one-of-finest-finished-watches-in-world.html

From arguably one of my favorite posts ever.
post #10414 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I think Glashuette's pano date is the least awkward and best looking of the three large date makers (because of the lack of window frames and vertical separation). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
PRE-BASEL+2010+-+GLASHUTTE+ORIGINAL+-+PanoMaticLunar+XL+90-02-36-12-05+zoom.jpg
Lange has something similar in the Zeitwerk: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A.-Lange-&-Sohne-Lange-Zeitwerk-140.021_1245140688.jpg

i would agree with that. i had an ebel a while back that had a large date. it was nice, but the vertical separation was a bit of a peeve. even thought the digits were separated by thin bar between the 2 digits, essentially creating 2 windows, the separation was still noticeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

what model is that JLC? any pix?

reverso squadra hometime. i posted a pic a while back. i post another later if toy like. stock pics are easy to come buy, but it aint the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post

Thats a much better investment than: Kiton suit, Charvet shirt and a Casio watch.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

Good life lesson for everyone: don't be a dick.

Applies to styleforum. Applies to life.

lolwat? that would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

^^^ Semantics aside, the Spring Drive movement is fundamentally different from traditional mechanical movements in that it is not operating by a spring-driven balance wheel. Rather, it is regulated by an electrically powered circuit. Yes, there is no battery, but i think it is nonetheless a stretch to call such a device purely "mechanical."

yes. any watch that has a battery/electrically powered energy source i would not call mechanical. but, im a watch douche, dont pay me no mind.
post #10415 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

I wouldn't use a winder unless I own like 2-3x perpetual calender watches and maybe some moonphase. I mean other then that, it would literally just take me less than a min to set my watch up anyway. This is including me hoping on my computer and type in "time.gov"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I just think they're awkward, generally pretty ugly and a waste of money IMO. I have one somewhere in a storage closet, cannot stand that thing.

Understood - thanks. Aesthetics aside, I do find it helpful so I don't have to start re-setting the moonphase, which is a bit of a pain.
post #10416 of 34761
So, just figured out how to use a macro lens with my camera. Kind of embarrassing, but I am not much of a photog. Figured I would snap off some pictures for you guys! Never shot any good ones when I got my baby.

P1010119.jpg
P1010150.jpg
P1010147.jpg
P1010144.jpg
P1010137.jpg
post #10417 of 34761
you certainly got the macro going on Newcomer... nice pix and nice watch!
post #10418 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

you certainly got the macro going on Newcomer... nice pix and nice watch!

Thanks! Note to self in the future--make sure to clean the watch off better! My pictures make it look like it is in way worse condition than it is smile.gif.

Crazy thing is, is this is just with the watch on macro mode. My camera is wasted on me.
post #10419 of 34761
Great pics dude!
post #10420 of 34761
Quote:

lolwat? that would be nice.


Ha. point taken. I should say applicable to styleforum. I can dream right?

post #10421 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

So, just figured out how to use a macro lens with my camera. Kind of embarrassing, but I am not much of a photog. Figured I would snap off some pictures for you guys! Never shot any good ones when I got my baby.
P1010119.jpg
P1010150.jpg
P1010147.jpg
P1010144.jpg
P1010137.jpg


Love the up close and personal pics. How do you like your brown strap? Im thinking of getting a dark chocolate brown strap, or a light tan one...whats this color called? Anyone?

 

post #10422 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

Love the up close and personal pics. How do you like your brown strap? Im thinking of getting a dark chocolate brown strap, or a light tan one...whats this color called? Anyone?

Well, being a SFer at heart, I LOVE the brown strap. Personally, I don't know if I could handle a black strap. I still don't think I own anything that is black. But this was the stock, dark brown strap. It is a really nice, warm color. I would really like a honey brown or a navy strap though.
post #10423 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikantian View Post

Has anyone seen the new-ish JLC Master Eight Days Perpetual in SS? I've been wanting to get a perpetual in stainless, but there are no JLC dealers near me so I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm not sure if I like the updated dial design versus the older Eight Day Perpetual, but the previous model doesn't come in SS, and the rose gold version seems a bit spendy.
349

You know, normally I'm down with complications and master chrono's, but there's just too much going on with that face.
post #10424 of 34761

Here's a stupid random Q:

 

Stopped by a jeweler today to look at some vintage subs. The salesman pronounced the name of the watch in the same way you would say Seattle Mariners. I always say it in the Hunt for Red October sense.

 

WIS verdict?

post #10425 of 34761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post


You know, normally I'm down with complications and master chrono's, but there's just too much going on with that face.


 

Tend to agree...but what really gets me is that year window.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread