or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 681

post #10201 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

glad you did that. beautiful watch, front and back. although i am really disappointed in JLCs decision to change their folding clasp. the old one was so much nicer, heftier and had an amazing finish.
new clasp
jlc_image.1733236.jpg
old clasp
mm2.jpg
NO CONTEST

2nd looks the same as my IWC.
post #10202 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

Thanks!
Can't comment as I don't know enough to compare, but your pics definitely make a strong case!

my pleasure, you made a great choice.

yeah, when i got mine i was expecting the old one. when i bought it, it must have been right after the change over cuz all the ones in store had the old clasp, and when mine came in it had the new one. i bought what was a new model at the time that wasnt in the store at the time of my purchase.

i called and tried to see if i could get the old one but never really pressed the issue. i was sad. but mostly i was happy because i love my JLC, and wear it all the time. i would never get rid of it.
post #10203 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

2nd looks the same as my IWC.

very similar, imo the old JLC was even nicer, more finishing and shapelier. no offence.

IWC1.JPG
post #10204 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

elaborate please.

the JLC above your post. That is exactly what I want in a watch.
post #10205 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

the JLC above your post. That is exactly what I want in a watch.

nice. go for it. its a classy option. a timeless look.

buy now
post #10206 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

nice. go for it. its a classy option. a timeless look.

which is pretty much what I want. I'm going to be spending big money on it, so I want it to be appropriate for every occasion/scenario. I also want it to no become dated, seeing as I probably wont be buying another expensive watch for a while (need to work on getting myself a house first lol)
post #10207 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

which is pretty much what I want. I'm going to be spending big money on it, so I want it to be appropriate for every occasion/scenario. I also want it to no become dated, seeing as I probably wont be buying another expensive watch for a while (need to work on getting myself a house first lol)

lol. thats what i though when i bought my first one. 3 more watches later in under 3 years.....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
lol. no it wasnt, who am i kidding, i knew i was fucked.

but srs, you need to get outta your current place and into a new one.
post #10208 of 35519
old clasp, new clasp....either way its still beautiful
post #10209 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by okay.w0w View Post

old clasp, new clasp....either way its still beautiful

true, but still.... smile.gif
post #10210 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

glad you did that. beautiful watch, front and back. although i am really disappointed in JLCs decision to change their folding clasp. the old one was so much nicer, heftier and had an amazing finish.
new clasp
jlc_image.1733236.jpg
old clasp
mm2.jpg
NO CONTEST
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

not sure if this was posted, the JLC was replaced with the model pictured below, the master calendar. you would have to find the one in your pic on the used market i imagine, as it was replaced already a little while ago. i think you really cant go wrong either way. i was thisclose to buying the JLC not too long ago and its still a watch i would like to have. the blancpain that was posted is also a nice option. but if youre looking for something that would also work with jeans and casual wear i think in this case the IWC is the way to go. just my 2 cents.
full retail new on the current JLC is $10,200 in steel and $21,000 in 18K
full retail on the IWC is $12,400 in steel and $23,700 in 18K.
figure if youre thrifty and willing to buy online you can get em at 30% off and if you buy pre owned significantly less than that.
either way, best of luck and keep us posted!
Q151842A-big.jpg

Yes...I found a couple of the JLC Master Dates on sale on a couple dealers websites for $5K. I plan on waiting a couple weeks and then I will call them to see if I can bargain with them. Letting them know that I know that the watch has been on their website for several months without selling.

Otherwise, I will wait until something comes up on TimeZone or WUS. I'm not crazy about the moon function on the new JLC but its not a deal breaker for the right price.

I love the IWC Automatic 7-Day with black face but will have to see how large it is on my wrist. I will not buy anything larger than 42mm and I'm also concerned about the thickness of IWC's watch cases. I believe the case thickness is 14mm.

I prefer the butterfly clasp to the single fold, much more comfortable for me.
post #10211 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Yes...I found a couple of the JLC Master Dates on sale on a couple dealers websites for $5K. I plan on waiting a couple weeks and then I will call them to see if I can bargain with them. Letting them know that I know that the watch has been on their website for several months without selling.
Otherwise, I will wait until something comes up on TimeZone or WUS. I'm not crazy about the moon function on the new JLC but its not a deal breaker for the right price.
I love the IWC Automatic 7-Day with black face but will have to see how large it is on my wrist. I will not buy anything larger than 42mm and I'm also concerned about the thickness of IWC's watch cases. I believe the case thickness is 14mm.
I prefer the butterfly clasp to the single fold, much more comfortable for me.

good plan with the dealers, most of them will haggle a bit to move stuff, especially goods they are sitting on for long periods of time. i should know, i worked in the jewelry business.

IWC specs, large not enormous imo. will depend on your wrist size. go lo a local shop and try it on.

Case Diameter 42.3mm
Case Thickness 13.9mm

comfort over beauty? tsk tsk smile.gif
post #10212 of 35519
I'm also considering the Zenith El Primero 36000 with black or dark grey dial.
post #10213 of 35519

I was going to send you a message to see what you decided on. The Zenith is beautiful too!! I like the multicolored dial. You can always find a black or grey chrono, but that multicolor dial is unique!!

post #10214 of 35519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

I'm also considering the Zenith El Primero 36000 with black or dark grey dial.

not a bad watch. the others were better imo. i learned once when shopping for watches, there are a bazillion options out there, and its easy to get distracted from what you wanted and end up with something else entirely. stay focused on what you want in a watch and why. go from there. my advise anyways.
post #10215 of 35519
Wait i mighta got the watch wrong nm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread