or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Page 668

post #10006 of 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikar View Post

1968, one owner, all original down to the insert...finally got one.
Regards.
445d4278-815a-18c5.jpg445d4278-8165-e613.jpg445d4278-8172-9453.jpg445d4278-817e-4ed3.jpg

Awesome watch. Enjoy.

-LR
post #10007 of 35780

When I'm feeling flashy:

6734448549_75049e1e7f.jpg

post #10008 of 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur PE View Post

no pics on this computer but I'll try to get some up
IWC 3706 on croc
IWC MK XV (the old style) white face on buffalo w/deployment
Omega Speedmaster Moony w/hesalite on steel band
Rolex Sub date 16110
Panerai 111H on a few, I like the rubber/deplyment and black croc w/buckle

Those are some very nice choices -

But then, I'm a little biased (Click to show)
img3241pr.jpg

I like simple watches, but the Speedy and 3706 are probably my favourite chronographs - well done smile.gif
post #10009 of 35780

When I'm feeling flashy...

 

467

 

 

post #10010 of 35780
Great article Cylon, thank you very much!

I currently own a vintage Omega De Ville (1st pic) as a dress/formal watch that I wear to work a couple times a week and because its in pristine condition, I only want to wear it on special occasions. Therefore, I'm looking for a watch that can pull double duty with a suit or jeans. I have another vintage Omega manual wind with sub-second dial at 6 o'clock that gets some action during the week also.

Choice 1a is an IWC Portugese Automatic 7-Day (2nd pic) and 1b is the JLC Master Control (3rd & 4th pic). I haven't been able to find exact pricing on the IWC or JLC but from what I understand, the JLC is no longer in production so I may be able to get a better price. I'm not in a hurry to buy, since the watch will be a present to myself for a possible promotion at work this spring.

263

232

262

262
post #10011 of 35780

I think both your choices are lovely. Most of the time I am underwhelmed by IWC, but the 7-day Portuguese is absolutely amazing. You should be able to pick up a JLC master control calendar cheaper than that though.

 

Also consider the Blancpain Villeret Moonphase in 38mm or 40mm. The aesthetic is similar to the JLC master control calendar, though instead of the bland looking small second hand at 6oclock, you get a moonphase complication of which you may know i am already a fan biggrin.gif (though I still don't know how I feel about the personified moon).

 

blancpain villeret moonphaseblancpain villeret moonphase 40mm.jpg

 

I would also take a second look at the two new offerings from JLC, the Master RdM, and the new Reverso Calendar that WarrenG, Newcomer and I have spoken of previously.

 

 


Edited by Cylon - 1/22/12 at 9:03pm
post #10012 of 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngspook View Post

 

The other idea is to just give up completely on the versatility front, and go for the dressier watch that will get less wear, and with that, the need for durability becomes less, and then get some really nice in that space (like a JLC Ultra Thin, Ultra Moon, or Master Chronograph).

 

Thoughts?

 

Sorry kngspook I realize after re-reading my response to you and Cuttingboard, I leaned to answering Cuttingboard in the paragraph I had devoted to you. To return: I love my MUT, even moreso as the days go by, but you are right in that I would prefer not to wear it every day. If I had to choose again, though, I would probably make the same decision. I don't know if you are looking for an heirloom/timeless piece, or something that catches your eye in the moment. I think that is the most important question to ask in the first instance, then all other question flow from there.

post #10013 of 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

Those are some very nice choices - But then, I'm a little biased (Click to show)
img3241pr.jpg
I like simple watches, but the Speedy and 3706 are probably my favourite chronographs - well done smile.gif

Very very nice.
post #10014 of 35780
That Blancpain Moonphase is absolutely wonderful. I love it. I am such a sucker for Moonphase complications.

Also, I was thinking, maybe we should form a new discussion thread that we can shamelessly bump and not continue to tarnish the p0rn thread smile.gif. I am working on coming up with a post right now, and will likely post it in the forum tomorrow so that it does not die! Good idea Cyclon.
post #10015 of 35780

Also consider this new not-yet release from Blancpain:

 

http://www.blancpain.com/en/news/pre-baselworld-2012

 

6653Q-1529-55B_PR_sm.jpg

post #10016 of 35780
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Great article Cylon, thank you very much!
I currently own a vintage Omega De Ville (1st pic) as a dress/formal watch that I wear to work a couple times a week and because its in pristine condition, I only want to wear it on special occasions. Therefore, I'm looking for a watch that can pull double duty with a suit or jeans. I have another vintage Omega manual wind with sub-second dial at 6 o'clock that gets some action during the week also.
Choice 1a is an IWC Portugese Automatic 7-Day (2nd pic) and 1b is the JLC Master Control (3rd & 4th pic). I haven't been able to find exact pricing on the IWC or JLC but from what I understand, the JLC is no longer in production so I may be able to get a better price. I'm not in a hurry to buy, since the watch will be a present to myself for a possible promotion at work this spring.
263
232
262 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
262
Love this, is it in white gold or steel ?
post #10017 of 35780
post #10018 of 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

 

Sorry kngspook I realize after re-reading my response to you and Cuttingboard, I leaned to answering Cuttingboard in the paragraph I had devoted to you. To return: I love my MUT, even moreso as the days go by, but you are right in that I would prefer not to wear it every day. If I had to choose again, though, I would probably make the same decision. I don't know if you are looking for an heirloom/timeless piece, or something that catches your eye in the moment. I think that is the most important question to ask in the first instance, then all other question flow from there.


No worries. As a side note, I was paying attention to the discussion occurring about Cuttingboard's options, and I never really considered Blancpain. I'm going to look into them now. Another one I forgot to mention, that I was strongly considering for a long time was Glashutte as well -- Cuttingboard, you might like them too.

 

One of the other issue I'm struggling with (and people might frown on me for bringing this up, but I feel it's unavoidable), is the message each watch sends. I'm pretty young, and extremely fortunate to even be considering these watches. So when considering spending the money on a pure dress watch, I wonder if it's going to send an overly "old-school" message to my friends and age group when I do wear it? And is buying an obviously expensive watch like a Rolex Submariner going to be perceived as flaunting and immodest?

 

The upside of having a serious pure dress watch is that it might send a more mature signal to those who are looking for it. And IWC, despite being more expensive than the Rolex, isn't going to be as noticed as the Rolex. Of course, there are benefits and drawbacks to being noticed too, right? I do remind myself frequently, though, that these are good problems to have.

 

But anyways. Back to the question you asked -- I'm definitely looking for more of an heirloom/timeless piece. I know I'm on SF here, where people deeply enjoy collecting things (at least it seems so, my impression after being here all of 12 hours...), but I don't anticipate building a huge collection. I don't want even a moderate collection. I want a tiny collection of very well-chosen, meaningful (to me) pieces.

 

post #10019 of 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Personally, I don't really buy for value retention. Sure, I guess there is something nice about being able to sell your watch for the same or more than you paid for it, but I don't really care to think like that. I generally buy something with the intention of never selling it.

i like your attitude.
post #10020 of 35780
Singapore SF'ers:

Has anyone had any dealings with this grey-market dealer?:

Kenneth Chen, Collectors Haven, 5 Balmoral Crescent (Inside VIP Hotel) Singapore]

Looking to buy my first watch from them (discontinued model so AD is not an option) and want to get a non-Timezone forum independent check just to make sure. I believe they sell a lot of PAMs.

Any help appreciated!
Edited by ruzzi - 1/23/12 at 3:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread