or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 622  

post #9316 of 48312
watch19.jpg
post #9317 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Suggest a strap for this JLC. It should be one of a leather which can be shipped internationally under current law (CITES?). It currently has a dark brown crocodile as seen in the pic but it is in tatters now and the the local JLC dealer hasn't been able to arrange a replacement for the past year. I dont want to order a croc over the internet for fear that it would be seized by Indian customs
Thanks
_DSC9445.jpg

Go for a tan or honey coloured ostrich strap, it will look great and will only look better with time. Another option is a grained leather, e.g. buffalo or even pebblegrain calf.

Another nice alternative if you're in a more iconoclastic mood is grey. I've seen matte grey croc (I know, I know, CITES...) get combined very well with silverface watches.

Does Indian customs really open packages to check?
post #9318 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Suggest a strap for this JLC. It should be one of a leather which can be shipped internationally under current law (CITES?). It currently has a dark brown crocodile as seen in the pic but it is in tatters now and the the local JLC dealer hasn't been able to arrange a replacement for the past year. I dont want to order a croc over the internet for fear that it would be seized by Indian customs
Thanks
_DSC9445.jpg

Talk to Luk-cha. He will sort you out. Here's his leather goods blog.

http://portlandstreet.tumblr.com/
post #9319 of 48312
cf269caa-35be-0e03.jpg

My daily wearer, Rolex DeepSea Sea Dweller, on a military Nato strap and Thomas Pink shirt
post #9320 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Suggest a strap for this JLC. It should be one of a leather which can be shipped internationally under current law (CITES?). It currently has a dark brown crocodile as seen in the pic but it is in tatters now and the the local JLC dealer hasn't been able to arrange a replacement for the past year. I dont want to order a croc over the internet for fear that it would be seized by Indian customs
Thanks

surely there's more than one JLC retailer in all of India? If not, you could arrange to have the band switched when you go overseas on a trip and then wear it when you come back.

I had some cheap calfskin band on my watch and while it was intended to be temporary and it cost that much, it was ugly as hell and I should've not even spent the $20 or whatever it cost. I just replaced it last week with some real crocodile and it's so satisfying, and while it's some third party French brand and doesn't have the little JLC stamp on the buckle, I'm happy with it, cost me about $200.

Perhaps toadskin would pass customs regulations - toadskins are only worth about $1-2 in the finished hide, which is obviously quite a bit less than what it costs to acquire a nice crocodile hide.... and you know what? I kinda like toadskin bands on dress watches, they're kinda elegant in colors like grey or sage.
post #9321 of 48312
Thanks for your comments. Will check them out.

I don't expect Indian customs to open anything but assume that whoever ships croc internationally will mention it quite clearly on the package to avoid hassle at his end. Its also not about the duty but if it turns out import of banned material carries other penal action, I am screwed. Who wants to take on the bureaucracy over a strap.

Some time, when shah toosh was banned, high society parties were raided and the shawls were seized from the ladies and summons and warrants issued.

OTOH, zegna sells croc shoes, all Swiss watches come with croc straps and LV will take orders for croc stuff.

They must have got an exemption or something like that.
post #9322 of 48312
I have tried ABP straps and find them quite good if pricey. I can easily order through them ibut for the cites issue. Wonder if lizard is covered under cites
post #9323 of 48312
Some are. I would be more concerned about the poor durability (IME) of lizard. Gets old-looking quickly if scales get lifted off.
post #9324 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

watch4.jpg

WANT!
post #9325 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by venessian View Post

I wonder what a Center Second with only power reserve would cost....
Dornbluthcenterseconds_PR.jpg
Damn, I'm fixated on these watches! smile.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post

worship2.gif I've got to email Dornbluth and see what a watch like this would cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venessian View Post

Please let me know what they say. Thanks.

It took a while, but I got a response from Dirk and I think this idea is a little out of my price range.
Quote:
To realize the combination, shown in your picture, it would take much time
of developing, because the movement construction would completely change.
Because we do not plan to have this combination in our collection, it would
be a development for your individual timepiece. The price range for this
would be 9.000-12.000 Euro, including your individual dial, wich we would
need extra tools for.
post #9326 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post

...

Ouch, that is definitely rough. Understandable, but rough. Hopefully this inspires him to add this model to his collection smile.gif
post #9327 of 48312
0e10213c.jpg

/M
post #9328 of 48312
NOS early 1990s Explorer I

rolex-exp-1.jpg

Not sure I like the Jubilee bracelet; would much prefer the Oyster bracelet but TBH I find it difficult to stomach getting that at Rolex AD prices given IMO it's a technically/tactile-y inferior bracelet when compared to, say, the Speedmaster's bracelet.

Any (non-NATO) ideas for a strap replacement?
Edited by apropos - 11/16/11 at 8:14pm
post #9329 of 48312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I just replaced it last week with some real crocodile and it's so satisfying, and while it's some third party French brand and doesn't have the little JLC stamp on the buckle, I'm happy with it, cost me about $200.
Did you not get the OEM buckle when you purchased your watch? You can put it on the new strap. If you didn't and want one, you can purchase a buckle separately
post #9330 of 48312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post

It took a while, but I got a response from Dirk and I think this idea is a little out of my price range.
Quote:
To realize the combination, shown in your picture, it would take much time
of developing, because the movement construction would completely change.
Because we do not plan to have this combination in our collection, it would
be a development for your individual timepiece. The price range for this
would be 9.000-12.000 Euro, including your individual dial, wich we would
need extra tools for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Ouch, that is definitely rough. Understandable, but rough. Hopefully this inspires him to add this model to his collection smile.gif

This seems pretty reasonable to me for a completely new watch model for which he would make a series of 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)