or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 596  

post #8926 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikantian View Post

http://www.jckonline.com/2011/08/19/watch-prices-rising-swiss-franc

Clearly there are other forces at work, but the Swiss Franc is pretty high right now. I was in Switzerland a few months ago, and everything was crazy expensive.

The exchange rate is a major mitigating factor now, however, it wasn't during the last decade when prices went up dramatically. To put into real world perspective. A PP 'base' Calatrava Perpetual Calendar in YG cost (if memory serves me correctly, I might be a few thousand off) $43,500 in 2000, now it costs $84,400.00. And the price will increase this year.
post #8927 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post


The exchange rate is a major mitigating factor now, however, it wasn't during the last decade when prices went up dramatically. To put into real world perspective. A PP 'base' Calatrava Perpetual Calendar in YG cost (if memory serves me correctly, I might be a few thousand off) $43,500 in 2000, now it costs $84,400.00. And the price will increase this year.

Sure, real to most of us, but unreal to many.
post #8928 of 48312
I was reading, either here or supertalk a thread about people posting their custom watches from a site in Japan/China. You can have your own colors/bands/etc. Anyone remember or have a link? It would be greatly appreciated.
post #8929 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post


Sure, real to most of us, but unreal to many.

Well some can't fathom that much money and others are totally insulated and consider it a pitance. I was positing based on my personal view / financial situation, but rather overall, in terms of the economy + prices + production costs. I'm not stating that people shouldn't go out and buy watches, not at all, if you can afford a Patek ref. 5002... more power to you, but don't be fooled that you are getting anything close to 'a great value for your money'.
post #8930 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyoumad View Post

I was reading, either here or supertalk a thread about people posting their custom watches from a site in Japan/China. You can have your own colors/bands/etc. Anyone remember or have a link? It would be greatly appreciated.

Clarification: you mean bracelets, right? Because most watches with traditional lug designs allow for the addition of any band (i.e. not metal) that fits.
post #8931 of 48312
...
post #8932 of 48312
here is an updated pic of my GS. i got the acrylic polished, most of the scratches are out. there is little patina near the 2 hour marker. the movement and sweep alone has made me love this watch.

261
post #8933 of 48312
153

thoughts on the white face of this new portofino automatic?
received minor size increase... priced i think on sale on watch forums for $3400 NIB
post #8934 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

153

thoughts on the white face of this new portofino automatic?
received minor size increase... priced i think on sale on watch forums for $3400 NIB

i adore the portofino! youll love the white face dial on this watch!
post #8935 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

I've been observing the price of a particular watch (JLC reserve de march) and noticed that the price has gone up about 50% in the past few years. Is this the norm?

All the luxury brands have increased dramatically. There was an article in IW recently about how the anticipated surge in Chinese buying will further drive up the prices of used watches.
post #8936 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post


All the luxury brands have increased dramatically. There was an article in IW recently about how the anticipated surge in Chinese buying will further drive up the prices of used watches.

with this new world recession, in which china is floundering?
post #8937 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post


with this new world recession, in which china is floundering?

I saw that article today, too. A few short term ups and downs - but it won't be long.
post #8938 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post


I saw that article today, too. A few short term ups and downs - but it won't be long.

what won't be long?

The economy is a circle... someone / some company / country has to be in the green and others in the red.
post #8939 of 48312
New look of my vintage

209
post #8940 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post

Grand Seiko today:

469

Since when did Seiko's sell for $5000+ ????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)