or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 587  

post #8791 of 48312
And Pussy Galore wearing a GMT-Master (as a fictional, lesbian pilot...) doesn't make it a fact that women (as a group) have been wearing men's watches since the 60s.

I've seen several guys wearing ladies' watches - does that mean that it's a fact that small watches are the norm...?

/M
post #8792 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

i tried on the 45mm earlier this year... didnt look huge at all, even on my thin wrist lookaround.gif but cant justify paying extra for the 45mm...
the 'old' 42mm was technically the deal of the century

All your watches look too big for your wrist to me.
Edited by culverwood - 9/14/11 at 1:19am
post #8793 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

LOL at the small man trying to convince himself his big watches look fine on him and using girls to back his case up.

Victoria Beckham has (had) breast implants. Jen Aniston is probably rocking a lacy number from Agent Provocateur underneath all that. Just because they can and do so doesn't mean it'll look great on you, or that you should even try for that matter.

If you are sailing into this (as you appear to) with the mindset that BIG = MANLY then at 5' 7" & 150lbs you are SOL my friend. A watch is the least of your problems.

facepalm.gif

you know just to name a few floyd mayweather is 5'7 and 150lbs?
manny pacquiao is 5'6 and 145lbs?
joe pesci is 5'4?
they are way more manly than you can ever be? now you are going to throw low blows at me about my height, or go back on topic and talk about watches?
and stop trying to dismiss my point about women wearing large watches because they had breast implants ... what does that have to do with them wearing a bigger watch than you and still look fashionable
post #8794 of 48312
JV - if you want to wear larger watches and that makes you happy while in the infinite corridor, go ahead and enjoy. Do not worry about what anyone else says.

My opinion - those watches are way too big for your wrists, height and weight have nothing to do with it, but if you are happy, go ahead, that is what life is about.

Guys, please stop piling on JV, it seems almost like bullying.
post #8795 of 48312
Just put a Toshi Strap on my DC56, and thought I would share!

700

Oh, and as an aside... I have ~8 inch wrists, and 40mm is about as big as I am willing to go (the size of this Damasko). I think a little bit of wrist looks good. No need for the watch to take up every square bit possible. The argument about women's use of watches is kind of silly. Big jewelry, small jewelry--for women it goes in and out of vogue more often than any person can count.
Edited by Newcomer - 9/13/11 at 2:15pm
post #8796 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

JV - if you want to wear larger watches and that makes you happy while in the infinite corridor, go ahead and enjoy. Do not worry about what anyone else says.

My opinion - those watches are way too big for your wrists, height and weight have nothing to do with it, but if you are happy, go ahead, that is what life is about.

Of course - to each his own.
post #8797 of 48312
My Pocket Watches:

700


Ellis Exeter - 1860s
Ingersoll Crown
Limit
&
2 i'm still trying to work out what they are!
post #8798 of 48312
i had to comment - this JV insecurity big man watch thing has been the most interesting development of this thread yet. This is the first time where I've seen someone so clearly compensating for something they're uncomfortable with. A watch isn't going to make you grow 6 inches, and it's not emasculating to wear a smaller watch either. Its just a watch guys, get one that you feel comfortable with, wind it and wear it.
post #8799 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post

i had to comment - this JV insecurity big man watch thing has been the most interesting development of this thread yet. This is the first time where I've seen someone so clearly compensating for something they're uncomfortable with. A watch isn't going to make you grow 6 inches, and it's not emasculating to wear a smaller watch either. Its just a watch guys, get one that you feel comfortable with, wind it and wear it.

late night online arguments sometimes do get out of hand, but to each their own.
some people like it small some people like it big lookaround.gif
post #8800 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_man View Post

how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.

im not going to comment anything... i've made my point... but you got seriously thin wrists...
i think victoria beckham has the same sized wrists as you... nest.gif because look how small a 36mm rolex looks on caroline wozniacki's wrist and how big a 36mm heuer looks on yours... uhoh.gif
i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks
700

Very quit pic of your boy!
post #8801 of 48312
2x post.
post #8802 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

ok... i dont know how small you are, but i am 5'7 and 150lbs (considered TINY in USA) ...
this cartier watch is 42mm... and it fits me just right.
700
That looks enormous to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

this is me wearing my 40mm rolex 'dress' watch...
700
Again, that looks quite big.


Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks
700
"Small"??? Wow, either there is something going on with your photos or....
All 3 of your examples look quite over-sized to my eye, at least in these photos.


Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post

All your watches look too big for your wrist to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

My opinion - those watches are way too big for your wrists, height and weight have nothing to do with it, but if you are happy, go ahead, that is what life is about.
+1 and +1.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Just put a Toshi Strap on my DC56, and thought I would share!
That color looks quite good Nc.
post #8803 of 48312
the current trend is to have the watch face cover most of the wrist...
post #8804 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

the current trend is to have the watch face cover all of the wrist...

FTFY.
post #8805 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post


FTFY.

most or all... its still the latest trend...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)