or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 586  

post #8776 of 48312
JuniorVaristy,

I am not a fan of the big watch trend. Unless you have large wrists, watches in the range of 35 mm to 42 mm are perfect for most guys. In fact, 42mm watches usually only work IMO where the dial is black or the bezel is thick (e.g. a diver's watch).

IMO your Cartier looks a little too large for your wrist, looking at the length of the lugs, and especially as the dial is white. The photo also gives the impression that your watch is squeezing your wrist: is the band tight?

Your Milgauss on the other hand looks great.

Re women wearing large (man size) watches, well that's just fashion. Doesn't have anything to do with style for grown up men. nod[1].gif
post #8777 of 48312
your height has nothing at all to do with how big of a watch you can wear. your wrist circumference does. A short man can have a very girthy wrist, and a tall man can have a very thin wrist.
post #8778 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post

JuniorVaristy,

I am not a fan of the big watch trend. Unless you have large wrists, watches in the range of 35 mm to 42 mm are perfect for most guys. In fact, 42mm watches usually only work IMO where the dial is black or the bezel is thick (e.g. a diver's watch).

IMO your Cartier looks a little too large for your wrist, looking at the length of the lugs, and especially as the dial is white. The photo also gives the impression that your watch is squeezing your wrist: is the band tight?

Your Milgauss on the other hand looks great.

Re women wearing large (man size) watches, well that's just fashion. Doesn't have anything to do with style for grown up men. nod[1].gif


as i said, i am not a big guy, i am very slim and quite fit (8% bodyfat @ 150lbs/5'7)... so if you say that my 40mm rolex looks great on me, then the same 40mm rolex on someone who's a male, average build, 6'1, and 180-200lbs and up would looks ridiculously small (it is only reasonable to observe the law of proportions, yeah?)
i am starting to think my planet ocean 42mm is getting too small, yes even on my small ass wrist nod[1].gif

on the topic of women wearing larger man sized watches - if you were out on a date, there is no way that you can wear a 34mm and your date is sporting a 43mm... obviously you perceive that its fashion/trendy ... but if it began to be trendy back when pussy galore from goldfinger was hot, then can you really call it fashion? fashion = temporary, while style = long term. if the "trend" spanned several decades... then its style. teacha.gif

by the way - this is a 36mm datejust on a GIRL... and it looks small... 34mm on a grown MAN..... uhoh.gif
700
post #8779 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by style_man View Post

your height has nothing at all to do with how big of a watch you can wear. your wrist circumference does. A short man can have a very girthy wrist, and a tall man can have a very thin wrist.

obviously... but i stated my weight and bodyfat %... so if i'm 5'7, 150lbs and low body fat that means my body parts should contain less mass... because muscle is more compact than fat
and women obviously have SMALLER wrists than men.. especially those thin women i have posted... victoria beckham is literally anorexic, and jen aniston is very very thin
there is no way for those women to have grithy wrists...
post #8780 of 48312
how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.
post #8781 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by style_man View Post

how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.

im not going to comment anything... i've made my point... but you got seriously thin wrists...
i think victoria beckham has the same sized wrists as you... nest.gif because look how small a 36mm rolex looks on caroline wozniacki's wrist and how big a 36mm heuer looks on yours... uhoh.gif
i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks
700
post #8782 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by style_man View Post

how big are your wrists? I have six inch wrists and my 40mm Rolex is honestly as big as I think I could ever go: http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/ba/ba0fa7db_gmtC.jpeg

I also have a 26mm X 42mm rectangular watch that is the perfect size for me, in my opinion: http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5a/5ae78917_IMG_3291.jpeg

This watch is 36mm, and another perfect fit if you ask me: http://styleforum-testing.s3.amazonaws.com/e/eb/ebd9def6_vbattach66139.jpg

I don't think you can claim any of these watches look at all girly on me.

I have 6.5" wrist and similarly struggle with anything much beyond 40 mm. In fact I recently flipped a 39 mm watch because it had a white dial and thin bezel and wore too large.

Nice collection of watches BTW!
post #8783 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


im not going to comment anything... i've made my point... but you got seriously thin wrists...
i think victoria beckham has the same sized wrists as you... nest.gif because look how small a 36mm rolex looks on caroline wozniacki's wrist and how big a 36mm heuer looks on yours... uhoh.gif
i personally think my planet ocean (42mm) looks small on me... but maybe thats just the bezel playing tricks
700

Your PO definately does not look too small on you. Moreover, I doubt whether you could successfully pull off the larger version PO, as your wrist is not particuarly thick. The fact that plenty of guys wear oversized watches does not prevent them looking like clowns when doing so.
post #8784 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


700

this is what i are getting next...
man sized, 43mm, compared to the 34mm JLC (lady sized)

God damn this is sexy. This Panerai/Rolex business has to end.

The Vacheron is teh sex, but for the money, I'd go JLC Ultra Thin and then snag something else on the side.
post #8785 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post


I have 6.5" wrist and similarly struggle with anything much beyond 40 mm. In fact I recently flipped a 39 mm watch because it had a white dial and thin bezel and wore too large.

Nice collection of watches BTW!

long live moderately sized watches! cheers.
post #8786 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post


God damn this is sexy. This Panerai/Rolex business has to end.

The Vacheron is teh sex, but for the money, I'd go JLC Ultra Thin and then snag something else on the side.

you could get the ulysse nardin + something else on the side too for the price of the vacheron nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post


Your PO definately does not look too small on you. Moreover, I doubt whether you could successfully pull off the larger version PO, as your wrist is not particuarly thick. The fact that plenty of guys wear oversized watches does not prevent them looking like clowns when doing so.

i tried on the 45mm earlier this year... didnt look huge at all, even on my thin wrist lookaround.gif but cant justify paying extra for the 45mm...
the 'old' 42mm was technically the deal of the century
post #8787 of 48312
cheers.gif
post #8788 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


ok... i dont know how small you are, but i am 5'7 and 150lbs (considered TINY in USA) ...
this cartier watch is 42mm... and it fits me just right.
700

this is me wearing my 40mm rolex 'dress' watch...

700

my first real watch was a 36mm tag heuer diver and that was fine when i was like 20 years old and probably 140lbs, but here i stand at 26 and a bit stronger than before, i wouldnt go below 40mm...

i cant imagine how a 34mm would look on a 6'1, 180lb, caucasian male...

I'm taller than you, a little lighter - watches on my wrist look about the same as they do on your wrist. The Milgauss I have tried before, and it fits like that on my wrist (actually, I think all Rolexes beyond the DSSD alright on my wrists) - but I think all of your watches look too big. Lug to lug they're pretty much covering an entire side of your arm. The 42mm Omega is definitely too big. That Ulysse Nardin at 42mm will look like a friggin wall clock on you.
post #8789 of 48312
LOL at the small man trying to convince himself his big watches look fine on him and using girls to back his case up.

Victoria Beckham has (had) breast implants. Jen Aniston is probably rocking a lacy number from Agent Provocateur underneath all that. Just because they can and do so doesn't mean it'll look great on you, or that you should even try for that matter.

If you are sailing into this (as you appear to) with the mindset that BIG = MANLY then at 5' 7" & 150lbs you are SOL my friend. A watch is the least of your problems.
Edited by apropos - 9/13/11 at 5:38am
post #8790 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

LOL at the small man trying to convince himself his big watches look fine on him and using girls to back his case up.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)